Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding roof cover problem

billyhedge

billyhedge

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Not a roof problem actually but the concertina sliding cover on my 2012 California keeps creeping back when driving. Anyone else find this? I need to keep pushing it closed every few miles; driving me crackers.

Not a roof problem actually but the concertina sliding cover on my 2012 California keeps creeping back when driving. Anyone else find this? I need to keep pushing it closed every few miles; driving me crackers.
A common problem I'm afraid.
On mine there are strips of a Felt like material stuck to the Grooves to provide some friction - which I have replaced - you can get them on eBay - and I've also stuck some Velcro on the leading edge.

If you notice there is a little lip on the leading edge by the hand pull and this wears, but it also happens on brand-new vehicles.

It's not the best-designed part of the Cali, TBH.

Because the slider is harder to operate once the roof canvas is pressing down against it, it can be tempting to pull it forward while the roof is still closing. But be very careful if you do that because if you thereby trap the air in the roof it can cause the bellows to belly outwards and get caught in the scissors.

(For the same reason, you should keep at least one door fully open when lowering the roof.)

Driving along motorway in France in our 2012 camper ...
and have had this problem for some time and can't wait to try re wedges. Thanks.

I’ve developed a habit of reaching up and closing as I drive. The missis finds it funny, when I do it in our car :headbang