Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Manual elevating roof stuck down

C

Cali-Beach-Pat

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my 2018 T6 California Beach's manual pop-up roof. The driver's side at the back seems to be stuck.

When I open all the safety clips and push up on the roof, the first stage opens up as expected. However, when I try to push up again to raise the entire roof, only the passenger side goes up. The driver's side remains stuck.

I can't see what's going on around the side of the roof because the pop-out awning is in the way. I think I'll need to remove the awning to see what's causing the problem.

I've tried pushing hard and shaking the roof to see if it would unjam, but no luck. I'm afraid of breaking it if I keep pushing too hard.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

strange.can you camber up the bed when the roof is part open and shove it up from the inside ? other than that i suggest some ladders and some sort of lever outside, maybe some plastic trim tools or a wooden spatula and see if you get any movement.

Possibly a trapped canvas or something in the rear Mechanism?

when did the roof last go up correctly? Did it come down normally , no resistance and sitting fully down on the roof seal all around ?

photo may help ?

Issue with the gas strut on that side? The manual roof is real simple so shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Thanks all. I've forced this up by pushing on the bed as suggested, and this has now opened. Seems like the mechanism was stuck on ones side somehow but wasn't able to see where due to the pull out awning being in the way.

Thanks all. I've forced this up by pushing on the bed as suggested, and this has now opened. Seems like the mechanism was stuck on ones side somehow but wasn't able to see where due to the pull out awning being in the way.
before you put the roof down make sure the upper mattress is pulled forward fully . I.e. is has not slid backwards slightly and overlapped the infill foam bit ( the bit that is not attached to the main upper mattress) I have seen this on my van and corrected it before it became an issue, if the main mattress slides back slightly it can force the rear mech to not engage properly during the final pull down phase, where the rear mech engages with the fixed part, the result would be the roof mech would not engage (catch) properly on the rear And therefore will not fully lock into place when closed, if this was forced it could result in the roof mech not releasing properly when opening.
I have also seen the bellows catching slightly on the scissor mech, which again if forced would cause additional friction on the scissor mech and prevent the roof mech opening / closing properly, it may also damage the bellows.

Back