Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding window problems

Scotclimb

Scotclimb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi. We recently purchased a 2008 cali se. Both sliding windows are starting to rust on the bottom trim, I can see from previous posts there’s drainage to allow ingress to expel water out. I’m assuming the previous owner has not kept these clear which has resulted in the water sitting and rotting the lower section. The sliding door is worse than the kitchen side. My question is if I get the windows removed has anyone had this and dealt with the rust and repealed it back to original position and fitted tge windows back in the van. Or is it replacement windows required m?? Thanks

Not seen this one before! Lots of us have had problems with with leaking windows and window drains that don’t work but I had assumed that the window track was all plastic and factory bonded to the glass.
I doubt whether you will be able to repair and will need to replace the whole window.
If you don’t use the sliding window you could just put it back together and seal the opening so that it no longer opens or let’s water in.
or
Have the window replaced with a non opening window, which should be a lot cheaper than the opening one and remove the risk of leaking.
Obviously you need to find alternative ventilation when cooking if the windows are sealed.

Is it the window or more serious the door/van metal that it attaches to?

Is it the window or more serious the door/van metal that it attaches to?
The sliding assembly with slot and drains is bonded to the inside of the glass and the glass bonded to the outside face of the bodywork, which, if correct means the rust shown in the photo can't be from the door/van.
When VW replace a window it comes complete with all the plastic window frame etc bonded to it. This one is from eBay....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203342959021?hash=item2f582f51ad:g:gAIAAOSwvIpfhrL4
1633261290391.png

Last edited:
I'm told by VW Van Centre that rebonding the window to the metal is possible but it hardly ever works and the whole unit needs to bought and fitted (and comes with the sliding window too).
Something like £700 fitted with VAT.

I’ve just discovered a similar issue in the small sliding window on my works T6 Kombi, this is a 2016 model though so somewhat newer than your 2008 Cali!!
Poor photo but this is the small window I’ve taken out to clean the drains as it was leaking only to find this mess… this is the top outside edge with the seal removed. Rusted to the point it’s distorted the frame. Just crazy.

Neither local dealer or VW UK interested as outside warranty. No surprises there but warranty or not clearly this window was not fit for purpose.
Time for the duct tape.

B19F8716-04A1-48CA-AE13-DC5954BF08D7.jpeg

A679F85F-EA6A-4805-AF38-6B71E98EDB74.jpeg

I’ve just discovered a similar issue in the small sliding window on my works T6 Kombi, this is a 2016 model though so somewhat newer than your 2008 Cali!!
Poor photo but this is the small window I’ve taken out to clean the drains as it was leaking only to find this mess… this is the top outside edge with the seal removed. Rusted to the point it’s distorted the frame. Just crazy.

Neither local dealer or VW UK interested as outside warranty. No surprises there but warranty or not clearly this window was not fit for purpose.
Time for the duct tape.

View attachment 85257

View attachment 85258
Yeh not great. My sliding door one has started to pop the door trim inwards. I’m now on the lookout for a breaker for two windows and I’ll pay an autoglass firm to replace. Hopefully before the winter

Look at other companies that can supply the windows. The likes of transporter HQ and their other company camper glass provide excellent window options. OK not genuine but as good if not better without the leak issues.

Back