Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding window not closing properly

S

Staff 2

First posted by mark

Hi

Wonder if anyone else has had issues with the sliding windows not shutting correctly? I noticed last week on (very wet) trip to Devon the sliding window over the hob does not close flush. Then when i got home at weekend cleaned california and found window had leaked water and it had run into shelves under sink. Will take to VW garage but wondered if i am missing easy fix?

Thanks

Mark

First posted by Martin

I had same problem with the window on the sliding door, it only seems to do it when the rain is blowing against it. I have booked it in to VW so will see what they say.

First posted by mark

mine only really leaked after a good jet wash but have found water on bottom shelf in past so maybe its let water in before.

Will get booked in as few things need sorting.

First posted by californiaman

I found a similar issue but on the offside window. As it was, it appeared to close with a clunck so I assumed it was closed ok. It leaked a small (but significant!) amount of water. I expected to have to take it to a dealer but.. I happened to give it a firm push (just slightly firmer than you would imagine you need to) on the part where the opening handles are in the as if I were closing it and had a little give and sealed perfectly. After doing this a couple of times, it makes a good snug fit all on its own and no longer leaks.

First posted by freeley

They've done loads of revisions to these windows, i can't believe they can still leak.
Ours seem ok, only time i get rain in is when i've got my aerial lead sticking out and can't close it properly.

First posted by Berndros

Never any leaks on my 2010 facelift, even with the full force of a pressure wash.....

First posted by John

Two weeks after taking delivery of my Cali, took the van back to VW with leak in side window. I had never opened it and water gushed in when being jet washed. VW quickly solved problem... window was not shut properly. My 12 daughter had opened it and not closed it until it clicked. Very embarrassing!

First posted by Barry

This fault has been described on a number of forums.
Apart from shutting firmly, the usual successful remedy appears to have been using a silicon spray on the seals/slides.
I've not seen the problem personally but have sparing applied the said spray just in case.

I'd be inclinedto avoid jet sprays frankly. The pressure when a jet spray goes directly onto a sliding window crevice must be very high indeed.

Justa thought.

Picked up our new Cali last friday and noticed yesterday that there was water that had leaked in at the rear end of the slot that the sliding windows move in. This was on both sides of the van.

After some searching discovered this seems to be a common problem which is made worse if you park pointing uphill (even slightly uphill which our drive is).

The problem with parking uphill is that there is a drain hole in the slot the window runs in but its at the front end and doesn't seem to have one at the back.

Tested it out parked on the flat today in torrential rain and no leaks.

Taking it into the dealer next week to see what they say.

Same problem here, going into SMG on Thursday so will update with what they say.

Had both side windows replaced but they still leaked when parked pointing uphill. After some more research found that a commonly used remedy is silicone grease. Bought a small tube from Maplin and smeared a small amount on the rubber seals around the bottom of the sliding windows, a week later and plenty of rain last night with no leaks from either side.

Great news there a simple but effective remedy :thumb

Had both side windows replaced but they still leaked when parked pointing uphill. After some more research found that a commonly used remedy is silicone grease. Bought a small tube from Maplin and smeared a small amount on the rubber seals around the bottom of the sliding windows, a week later and plenty of rain last night with no leaks from either side.
Holy thread resurrection! However, I've just been told by my dealer that it's a kitchen out job to replace the side window on the nearside. Is this true? Mines not closing easily, takes about 15 minutes of swearing for it to finally close!:)

Holy thread resurrection! However, I've just been told by my dealer that it's a kitchen out job to replace the side window on the nearside. Is this true? Mines not closing easily, takes about 15 minutes of swearing for it to finally close!:)
Nope, it’s not true! Seems to be standard scare response to get customers to go away!
I’ve had the side window replaced due to leaks (design feature) and despite the initial sharp intake of breath and “that’s a kitchen out job” it was replaced without touching the kitchen.

Mine was replaced on the nearside without removing the kitchen.

@VW Guru @Loz any comments on this one please?

Hi @Darryl the official way according to the workshop manual is unfortunately to have the kitchen taken out I order to remove the gray trim that runs along the back of the kitchen which will in turn allow access to replace the window. Un officially there are ways around this but it does take the care of a skilled auto glazier to cut the old unit out.

Thank you. It's going into Totton....do they have access to a skilled auto glazier?

Thank you. It's going into Totton....do they have access to a skilled auto glazier?
The people they use normally want the kitchen out, do you know if it’s the sliding section that’s at fault or complete window or are you going in for diag ?

I think it's just the sliding section. It'll open fine but it just refuses to close easily. Literally takes about 15 minutes worth of attempts for it to finally slide all the way back to close position.

I think it's just the sliding section. It'll open fine but it just refuses to close easily. Literally takes about 15 minutes worth of attempts for it to finally slide all the way back to close position.
Same here !

Hi ok it maybe a warped runner get totton to assess it and then report back on there findings and I will have a word with them from there.

Hi ok it maybe a warped runner get totton to assess it and then report back on there findings and I will have a word with them from there.
The report back from Totton is that they are not 100% sure what the fault is but the need the window out and it'll probably be a replacement. I'm just keen to avoid the kitchen out. They have already put oily hand prints everywhere and scratched the silver trims around the sink, God knows what will happen with the kitchen out!

The report back from Totton is that they are not 100% sure what the fault is but the need the window out and it'll probably be a replacement. I'm just keen to avoid the kitchen out. They have already put oily hand prints everywhere and scratched the silver trims around the sink, God knows what will happen with the kitchen out!
My experience is that if it starts off badly it’s unlikely to improve. Do yourself a favour and take it somewhere else and start the diagnostic process again.

Back