Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slight tear on bellows

John

John

VIP Member
Original post andrew

Found a small tear on roof bellows (about half an inch long) and also 2 really tiny nicks. Looks as though fabric has been chafed by one of the roof supports. Any advice on repair? Sew it? Patch it? Leave it? Warranty claim? Cali is only 8 months old!

Original post 9663may

that happened to me on a 2007 cali i owned,i would nt imagine warranty would cover it. I think its best you leave it as a repair could look worse, but yep it did really **** me off if you pardon the french so i know how you feel.

Original post calikev

Mine came with a small tear by the support it hadn't gone right through I just stitched it up
Looks ok. Obviously lowered the roof without windows open.

Original post drmw1335

Andrew

You describe very similar tears that I found on my cali. A trip to my dealer (VW Preston) and without any quibble it was replaced. My Cali again was only 8 months old. I did take pictures of the tears if you want to compere.

Original post iane

Our bellows also had small tear, replaced without quibble at Preston. Our Cali was c12 months old at the time.
I must say Preston Van Centre has been generally excellent so far. We bought the van new from them.

Ian

Original post smgcowfold

I would certainly take it to a dealer and get them to look at it and put it through as warranty.

cheers

Original post andrew

Thanks to all for prompt replies. I'l take it to local dealer and let you know how I get on.

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your tears, my California has also suffered too from what can only be as the result of poor design. I have always been very careful to follow the handbook instruction when lowering the roof. I know that my 'tears' resulted when lowering the roof with the side door open and a gust of wind (not excessive) ballooned the roof bellows into the scissor action of the struts. I didn't notice this from inside the vehicle but when outside the roof had closed on one side but was wedged open 1"-2" on the passenger side. I have reprted it to VW customer care and awaiting their response. Although not noticeable at fisrt glance there are also creases in the roof on either side.

So, I guess what I am saying is don't necessarily assume that it was your fault. I would be interested to know how you got on with your repair.

Regards Dave

Back