Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slow drive Bilbao to Calais

S

swigle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just booked ferry to Bilbao for end of April.

Plan is to spend 2 weeks driving back up to Calais ...

And that's the plan so far!

Any / all suggestions on route, stop-overs, campsites greatly appreciated!

Can anyone recommend any vineyards with camping nearby? Ever the conscientious driver, I want to sample the wares without having to drink and drive.

Steve

PS: Unless I can sneak in an overnight stay in the Cali in the next 2 weeks, this trip will be my first stay away in her - I'm too much of a woose to sleep out in our variable weather conditions - so wish me luck ... and feel free to give any advise you think might help!

Hi Steve,
Did you complete his adventure? We are keen to do sonething similar.
Luke

Skywalker said:
Hi Steve,
Did you complete his adventure? We are keen to do sonething similar.
Luke

Yup - got back Friday.

- Ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao
- Haro (for Rioja). One to watch out for - ferry arrives Saturday evening, most things shut on Sunday!
- Valencia (no wine - just headed south until it stopped raining and the sun shone!)
- Sitges (for Torres Penedas) - very good campsite! Good toilet block; 20min walk to town & beach
- Fitou
- Macon (for Beaujolais)
- Sancerre
- Paris (no wine - just sight-seeing).
- Calais (to top on wine from all the regions we didn't get too, plus more Sancerre (you can never have enough Sancerre!))
- Ferry from Dunkirk to Dover.

2000 miles in all.

Used ACSI guide to find most campsites (forgot to take card though, so no discounts :doh ).
Only one duffer (Le Fun + Fitou - had a look and drove off to another site).
Plus a couple of Minicipal sites.

Had to reign in my desire to buy too much wine + each place, hence the 'top up' at Calais at the end.

Now just have to settle down and start drinking all the lovely wine ...

Thanks very much for replying. i was waiting a reasonable time to see if you were back.
I take it the Cali went well. Did you go through the mountains?

Cali was a joy to drive. It eats up the miles on cruise control on the motorways - a couple of 4 hour drives were no problem. And can still get down narrow country lanes and drive round town centres.
Didn't go over any major mountains - though the motorways out of Bilbao climb at a fair rate over a relatively short distance - easy work for the Cali.

I bet the worst bit if the trip was from Folkestone back to sunny Leicester :boohoo

It sounds like a brillint trip with some lovely wines.
Luke