Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Small road trip

JimP1992

JimP1992

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

We’re planning a small road trip to the Dolomites early September. The intention is to allow 3 days travel down, 4 days of chill and hiking up and around the Dolomites, and 3 days travel back.

On the travel days, we intend to drive approximately 4.5 / 5 hours. The idea is that we set off early morning on those days and reach somewhere for early afternoon to have lunch and have a casual explore of where we land (also some respite for me!).

My question is where do you guys, in your experience, recommend going to in the East of France (or West of Germany, perhaps?) and Switzerland during those drive down/drive up days? I’ve read about French aires and how relaxed and in abundance they are, so we’ll likely stay at one on the way there and way back. With Switzerland, we may try a bit of stealth camping or book a campsite, depending on where we go. We’ve already been to Interlaken a few times in the van.

Look forward to your advice / responses!

James & Nikita

Hi all,

We’re planning a small road trip to the Dolomites early September. The intention is to allow 3 days travel down, 4 days of chill and hiking up and around the Dolomites, and 3 days travel back.

On the travel days, we intend to drive approximately 4.5 / 5 hours. The idea is that we set off early morning on those days and reach somewhere for early afternoon to have lunch and have a casual explore of where we land (also some respite for me!).

My question is where do you guys, in your experience, recommend going to in the East of France (or West of Germany, perhaps?) and Switzerland during those drive down/drive up days? I’ve read about French aires and how relaxed and in abundance they are, so we’ll likely stay at one on the way there and way back. With Switzerland, we may try a bit of stealth camping or book a campsite, depending on where we go. We’ve already been to Interlaken a few times in the van.

Look forward to your advice / responses!

James & Nikita
In Switzerland, assuming you'd cross over in the Geneva area I can recommend visiting Sion and staying at the TCS Camping there (It's a surf/Hawaii style) and then visit Alaia Bay. It's one of the only wave pools in Europe and it feels like you are at the beach. You can surf many different levels if desired from less than 1 meter to up to 3 meters +.

From there if you have the time it's always great to drive up to the top of the Furka Pass and spend the night there. Absolutely stunning views and the drive up is amazing too!