Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snowchains in the Dolomites

T64ME

T64ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm looking for some help having scanned the forum.

We are currently touring Europe [in Nice, France] and my wife has decided we should hit the Dolomites next week to hike, hopefully ski and indulge her passion for photography. We've just bought some thermals ! and now need to sourde the important Snowchains for the California!

Any recommendations on a good autoshop, or similar, in Italy for Snowchains would be really appreciated. I tried and failed today in Nice.

I'm running a T6 150DSG with factory lowered suspension (-35mm) and 215 / 60 R17 tyres. If anyone has the same set up would welcome feedback on chains they are running. Looking at the gap around the rear wheels i don't want to go above 12mm chains.

Many thanks in advance.

David

My wheels are smaller 16" and I use Konig/Thule chains, they are 12mm. Not sure if they do them in your size though.

My wheels are smaller 16" and I use Konig/Thule chains, they are 12mm. Not sure if they do them in your size though.
Many thanks for the quick response - are they the XG12-Pros ? Just seen a video and look fairly straightforward to fit.....assuming your hands aren't cold!

They are the CB-12 102, the 104 might fit your wheels. They are pretty easy to fit I also have some thermal work gloves from the builders merchants and make sure you practice a few times before you set off on your trip.

Many thanks BigMac for confirming details - I'm going to call Snowchains tomorrow morning to double check size for my wheels.

What about snow socks, could you use a set of them. Much easier to fit

Many thanks - I'll check them out. Do you use a specific model ?

I have a set of autosock in the van for emergencies. They are TUV approved.
So far I haven’t needed them. But I bought them after getting stuck a few years ago in Austria.

Worth having just in case, I’m sure chains are better. But they are a pain to put on.
Don’t forget a set of gloves, not matter which you buy. Trying to fit chains in the cold and snow is not easy :thumb

I have a set of autosock in the van for emergencies. They are TUV approved.
So far I haven’t needed them. But I bought them after getting stuck a few years ago in Austria.

Worth having just in case, I’m sure chains are better. But they are a pain to put on.
Don’t forget a set of gloves, not matter which you buy. Trying to fit chains in the cold and snow is not easy :thumb
Many thanks - had a look on their website and can see the strong attraction with ease of fitting and storage. Doesn't mention they are approved for use in Italy over Snowchains so will call to check out.......

By way of update and thanks for all help.

AutoSock confirmed
They are approved for use in France, Germany, Andorra, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Italy and Austria as an alternative to snow chains.

Snowchains advised XG12-235 were
correct model for California. My mate based in Milan has just ordered me a set via Amazon Italy for delivery tomorrow - good excuse to visit him and have a few beers tomorrow nite At €127 cheaper than U.K. and available tomorrow - couldn't find Autosocks for tomorrow.

Looks like we'll need them ⛄

I'm looking for some help having scanned the forum.

We are currently touring Europe [in Nice, France] and my wife has decided we should hit the Dolomites next week to hike, hopefully ski and indulge her passion for photography. We've just bought some thermals ! and now need to sourde the important Snowchains for the California!

Any recommendations on a good autoshop, or similar, in Italy for Snowchains would be really appreciated. I tried and failed today in Nice.

I'm running a T6 150DSG with factory lowered suspension (-35mm) and 215 / 60 R17 tyres. If anyone has the same set up would welcome feedback on chains they are running. Looking at the gap around the rear wheels i don't want to go above 12mm chains.

Many thanks in advance.

David

Hi David. You mentioned the gap around the rear wheels but Cali chains go in the front wheels. Just thought I’d mention that before you’re freezing in the dark up a mountain. Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

do not trust who says snow socks are homologated in Italy ... you can always find some of the police who do not think so ..... and still are not as effective as the chains ..... you have to put DAVANTI .... where is the place for the 16th chains from 12 with the weight of Cali are like the chains of children .... believe me ...

Hi David. You mentioned the gap around the rear wheels but Cali chains go in the front wheels. Just thought I’d mention that before you’re freezing in the dark up a mountain. Stu

I think he means the rear of the front wheels.

Ahh gotcha. That does make sense now you mention it.

Thanks Bear.... and will admit hadn't read the manual when initially posting but subsequent learnt only needed them on the front !!

Pleased to report the Snowchains successfully got me out of 10 inches of fresh snow on Monday.....the snowploughs seemed to ignore the section of the carpark we'd camped in!! Would recommend the XG-12s for ease of getting them on and off....

Back