Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snowchains: K-summit or K-summit van

Kemper-van

Kemper-van

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all,
I’m after some snowchains for my van with 235/55-R17. Due to the size, normal chains are not possible, only chains like Konig K-summit which don’t go behind the wheels are possible.
I have an option to get some 2nd hand K-summit chains in the correct size for a good price, but these are the “car” version instead of the “k-summit VAN” for motorhomes up to 3,5t.

It’s only for occasional use during skiing holidays and only once or twice a year. So question is if the car-version is sufficient enough?

Hi all,
I’m after some snowchains for my van with 235/55-R17. Due to the size, normal chains are not possible, only chains like Konig K-summit which don’t go behind the wheels are possible.
I have an option to get some 2nd hand K-summit chains in the correct size for a good price, but these are the “car” version instead of the “k-summit VAN” for motorhomes up to 3,5t.

It’s only for occasional use during skiing holidays and only once or twice a year. So question is if the car-version is sufficient enough?
If they make 2 versions , one for cars and one for vans then there must be a reason. What is the difference?

If they make 2 versions , one for cars and one for vans then there must be a reason. What is the difference?
Konig markets 1 for cars with empty weight <2.000kg and one for light commercial cars up to 3.500kg. But both have the same ö-norm v5117, which is approval for use on cars up to 3.5t. (M1, N1)
So maybe there is an actual difference in product, or it’s a good way to diversify revenues?
On many of their chains there is no mention of max weight at all, making it very difficult to correctly compare….

It's year old thread, but did you get those K-Summit chains? And if yes, what model?

Thanks.

the poster has not been on this site in a long time. However, the one that works for the T6 is the K-Summit van k84
Not sure where you see that I haven’t been on the site in a long time? I regularly check the forum.

@klokanoid.california I didnt get these k-summit chains in the end. I bought a pair of maggi-trak. The type I bought was marked as compatible with the california, although it wasn’t a van specific chain. Maggi website provided 2 options when specifying ‘california’: both the car and van chains are suggested. Since I bought 2nd hand and only the car version was available, I went with these. Haven’t needed to use them, though.

Not sure where you see that I haven’t been on the site in a long time? I regularly check the forum.

@klokanoid.california I didnt get these k-summit chains in the end. I bought a pair of maggi-trak. The type I bought was marked as compatible with the california, although it wasn’t a van specific chain. Maggi website provided 2 options when specifying ‘california’: both the car and van chains are suggested. Since I bought 2nd hand and only the car version was available, I went with these. Haven’t needed to use them, though.
apologies, I was checking on my phone and the forum did not show your last visit date!

Better to have it and not use it than not have it when needed!

Thank you both for replies!
I’ll check those maggi-trak before deciding.

Back