Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So I tried to fit the awning

B

Bepto

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
My Cali came without an awning, so I managed to get one used from ebay. Tried fitting today & failed miserably. Just couldn't get the rubber strip into the rail. I assume one must lubricate the rubber first? what is the best thing to use?

Also the awning came with only 2x bolts is this right? are the other screws already in the holes in the van somewhere?

Is it a thule or fiamma?

Have you any pictures?

The Thule one has got 2 bolts holding it on to the 2 brackets that are fixed
to the van but the weight is taken with it being hooked over the brackets.

I struggled to fit the rubber strip so offered it up, hooked it over the top lip and pressed the wet sticky outy bits into the van rail using plastic prodger . Took ages......
Sadly I hadn’t properly hung the awning housing onto the brackets, when I went to open it up to fit the 2 retaining screws the whole bloody lot fell off ......grrrrr
Having repaired the thing thought I would try KY jelly all along the van rail and on the rubber weather strip. Worked a treat! Slid it in from the front with a hand ......2 person job, esp. when hanging awning onto brackets with a good thump down to make sure it is located correctly.
Did consider washing up liquid but as it is bad for paintwork thought I’d try the KY as it’s water soluble ...... just hope is hasn’t bonded it and will come apart if necessary later.

Open your roof and look if there are about 6 screws in the grey border around the roof (of the van, not the top). There must be, or 3 holes at the right back and the right front, or 3 screws in the holes back and front.

IMG_2515.jpegIMG_2509.jpeg
There are three screws on both the front and back brackets.
The fronts are a bit longer. HTH
Do make sure you press the lip on the back of the awning housing down all the way down onto the van brackets as it needs to locate properly, it doesn’t just hang on without a good thump down , trust me......

Last edited:
Now unscrew that bolt in the holder. hang the awning over the holders. Screw the bolt back in when you fully opened the awning and that is that!

Good pictures. I have not taken off my awning yet. :thumb

Tried the soapy water, went on about a foot before it was stuck. Seems like a 2 man job looks like I'll have to wait. What would the best lubricant be that won't harm the van?

Tried the soapy water, went on about a foot before it was stuck. Seems like a 2 man job looks like I'll have to wait. What would the best lubricant be that won't harm the van?
Silicone spray? Makes rubber very smooth sliding.

KY jelly did it for me, slippery as an eel and washes off .....
Good for awning weather strip too !!

View attachment 46289View attachment 46291
There are three screws on both the front and back brackets.
The fronts are a bit longer. HTH
Do make sure you press the lip on the back of the awning housing down all the way down onto the van brackets as it needs to locate properly, it doesn’t just hang on without a good thump down , trust me......
Thank you. This is the photo I needed to see as I’m going to fit an awning I just bought to my Cali. Is there a washer required for the 2 x single bolts that hold the awning to the rails please?

Thank you. This is the photo I needed to see as I’m going to fit an awning I just bought to my Cali. Is there a washer required for the 2 x single bolts that hold the awning to the rails please?
Transferred a nearly new awning from @thisisfreeders Beach to mine on Wednesday following an advert on this site. No washers involved. There is a square nut that slides in the rail though - I take it you have those.

Transferred a nearly new awning from @thisisfreeders Beach to mine on Wednesday following an advert on this site. No washers involved. There is a square nut that slides in the rail though - I take it you have those.
Thank you. I do have the square nuts, and the 8 bolts that secure the brackets to the van. If you have a moment, could you please try to get a photo of one of the two bolts that secure the awning back panel to the brackets? Are those bolts the same as any of the other bolts? I have spare of both sorts that secure the brackets to the van I think (I just need to find them).

Thank you. I do have the square nuts, and the 8 bolts that secure the brackets to the van. If you have a moment, could you please try to get a photo of one of the two bolts that secure the awning back panel to the brackets? Are those bolts the same as any of the other bolts? I have spare of both sorts that secure the brackets to the van I think (I just need to find them).
Wet and windy here just now, sorry.
The roof bolts are a cylindrical head, the bolts that go through the back of the awning onto the bracket had a flatter head.
You should have 3 short bolts (back bracket to roof) 3 longer but same format for the front. 2 with the square nuts for attaching the bracket to the rail, then a pair for the final attachment. Hope that makes sense.
If the weather's better tomorrow, I'll try and get some photos.

Literally just walked in from refitting mine; if I had seen this first I would have taken phots but you can see the bolt you are talking about in the phot edie eagle posted in post 5 above. It’s the right hand of the 2 visible in the first picture. It’s different to the other bolts, a bigger flatter head , can’t mistake it. A tiny bit of washing up liquid rubbed along the rubber strip is all you need to help get it in. It‘s a really easy 10 min job.

Thanks @Kernowboy and @Stoneybroke. I ended up using two of my spare dome headed torx screws with a washer on for securing the casing to the brackets. I agree it is a ten minute job but I forgot to put the rubber seal in first time and I can say it’s even quicker the second time haha.

Back