Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning rail coming away

extentdweller

extentdweller

5.2 shirley?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, anyone had the this happen? Removed the wind out awning for the winter today and noticed the rail is coming away from the body at the rear, there does not appear to be screws / bolts holding it so I presume it is bonded on? Any ideas on how I get it back on?

Cheers,

Etd.

Silkaflex is the bond of choice

Sikaflex;) is the bond of choice, but it's only the end 12" that is lifting where it curves and it only comes away about half and inch so getting Sikaflex in without getting it all over the van will be tricky.

Etd.

When i remove mine, i wind it out a bit then remove 2 screws then it
lifts off.
I then remove the aluminium brackets that hold it on.
Which ´rail´ is coming away ?

do you have to remove the awning for winter, , ?is it recommended or just as it's no use its better off for cleaning salt etc off?

I hadn't dreamed of taking my awning off over the winter until I read this thread.:eek:
Should I??

me neither. I'm suspecting it's not necessary. it's only some fabric on a winder mechanism. I'm sure it will manage

No need......
The only reason i sometimes take mine off is because i won´t be using
it till about next april/may.
We do use the van in winter but the awning isn´t needed.

Don't think the problem relates to the awning or its mountings but the side rail like the one on the left.
I'd presume that when the awning brackets are attached no problem is evident. ie if you leave the awning on no fault seen.

Perhaps extentdweller can confirm.

Hi, anyone had the this happen? Removed the wind out awning for the winter today and noticed the rail is coming away from the body at the rear, there does not appear to be screws / bolts holding it so I presume it is bonded on? Any ideas on how I get it back on?

Cheers,

Etd.

are you a sand beige 63 plate?

There was one at Chievely services today, M4/ A34 that had no awning.

I would have said hello but was more interested in the massive horse transporter that had taken a corner sharply and was taking the O/s front off the car parked in front of me.

I hadn't dreamed of taking my awning off over the winter until I read this thread.:eek:
Should I??

Rik , just leave it on , there's no reason why you should take it of in the winter .
don't worth the hassle ...

Sikaflex;) is the bond of choice, but it's only the end 12" that is lifting where it curves and it only comes away about half and inch so getting Sikaflex in without getting it all over the van will be tricky.

Etd.
Just mask up the body work with masking tape etc: Apply adhesive and whatever pressure method to keep rail in position and then remove masking before adhesive dries.

https://sikablog.com/2016/03/01/how-can-i-remove-sikaflex/

The reason I remove it is I live in the Highlands of Scotland and pretty much every weekend I am parked up overnighting either at ski centre or at the bottom of a mountain (Scotlands mountains are only mountains in the winter, they are hills in the summer;)) waiting to go up it the next morning, so it is much easier without the awning as it just becomes a snow / ice trap which requires clearing, not nice to come back to after 8 hours of ski touring and or climbing. Wet snow build up and then a heavy freeze is like trying to remove concrete from around the awning roof interface. As i'm sure you are all aware Scottish highland winter weather is hard work!
It is the rail that is bonded to the top edge of the body, I presume there are no fixing screws behind the internal trim and it is only bonded on? That being the case i will follow WelshGas methodology for repair:thumb

Thanks for all the replies,

Etd.

Hi extentdweller.
I made the same discovery last year while going through the Cal end to end after buying a previously enjoyed van.
I took mine off to lube mechanism and clean black mould specs from top of material.
I found that while the front bracket geometry was accurate the rear bracket when all bolts were retightened there was a gap of a millimetre or so allowing the strip at rear end to be unsupported.
The brackets are cut sections of long extrusions and cannot be reshaped cold or risk annealing and weakening if heated.
I fitted a thin spacer between rear bracket and rail to hold it in place while adhesive dried.
End of problem.
I was hoping to keep the snow off me with the awning.
Sounds like I might have a very crunchy wind in !! :)

Last edited:
It’s worth getting some silkaflex remover for the clean up.

Use it on a cloth while the sealant is still wet and it’s then very easy to remove any excess.

Back