Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So much seems to go wrong!

K

keacal2705

Tomorrow I pick up my Cali. Naturally I am excited :barmy

Those that my remember, it is an 07 auto se. My only concern is the sheer number of posts where things have broken, rattle, etc. Many of you guys are lucky enough to be covered by warranty but I won't be. I am nervous as to whether I am going to be constantly getting things repaired :cry:

Sure hope that some of you have trouble free motoring as it doesn't sound like it reading the issues cropping up :shocked

Don't worry mate. It will be fine. Are you buying it from a vw dealer or an independent garage?
Are they not offering any warranty? One of the big problems with these forums is you do tend to hear of the negatives. Not many people will tell you when nothing has gone wrong.
I have had mine a year and had no problems at all. Don't worry and enjoy :thumb

Phew, thanks for reassurance.

No mine is third hand of a chap on autotrader. He only had it a year having bought on a whim and on,y slept in it a couple of times. Hence he was rusty at demonstrating stuff. Martin kindly looked at it for me.

I will desperate to attend the holland wood meet to learn how to use it!

Hi Lee,

Like most forums people will only post about their 'problems' there are many many Cali owners out there who have totally trouble free motoring/camping

I am sure things will be fine and any questions you have someone will always have the answer on here ...

Let us know how it goes.

Ooops dont say I have put a curse on mine :rofl :rofl I'd better go and clean her and give her a stroke ( how sad is that) :rofl

Take the chill pills and enjoy - they are an awesome bit of kit, don't worry about its capabilities, you'll soon find all the bits and pieces, I bought new 8 months ago and on the handover, the salesman took my £45000 and then the handover lasted 2mins before wondered off and never to be seen again - main dealers only in the future - German brlliance

Enjoy

Kevin

As above, we've done 8000 ish miles and over 90 nights away in our 2010 van. We have only had very minor issues and have loved every minute of it.

As mentioned, forums tend to distill issues and make them look worse than they are - people ask for advice about problems, not many sing the praises about their vehicle!

IMO they are a very reliable, well built, excellent product. If it helps, I've met two people with 2007 Calis recently (both 174s) and they've have pretty much no issues - only very minor stuff.

Any vehicle, even a new Rolls, will have it's issues!

It's easy to focus on the negative stuff. A lot of folks post here asking about niggles they have. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to have all of them crop up!

Sit back and enjoy.
Iain

Like any expensive piece of kit a Cali just needs..................
tlc_thumb%5B3%5D.png

i have owned calis now for three and ahalf years no real issues just a couple of niggles,
if you look after it it will look after you.
aslong as you check the roof bellows are going inwards when closing the roof, i always do for peice of mind,you will be fine,at the end of the day if you break something you can buy it from vw even the smallest parts they can get you next day..
also if you have a awning fitted always peg it down or wind it in at bedtime you never know when the wind may pick up.and that could do alsorts of damage
other than that you will love it they are put together very well.
i have had many reimo conversions before the 2 calis i have owned and had more problems with them...
so enjoy

Be Brave,

I have a 2004 lhd comfortline...I am familiar with all forum Discussions and guess what no problems at all with mine!!!

Had it rechipped from 174 to 215 bhp...common to see 40 mpg at steady 65 on cruise..everything works...nothing broken...no leaks,creaks or rattles...exterior and interior still looks fantastic.

love it as much as my Porsche 356B 1960...if I had to sell one it would be a difficult choice...in fact using Cali to move 356 engine in one piece to engine builder !!!!!

Keep the Faith

Have had a 07 se since new and have had various problems. All new vehicles have problems since yours is used the usual new vehicle things should have been dealt with. The vehicle is robust and well designed, I would not consider buying a 07 Ford or Fiat but would buy a used VW. The reason for so many problems is probably that the vehicle is loaded with equipment and that is the weak point not the actual base vehicle. If you take care of the gear the vehicle will last you for years.

Happy camping.

I've had my 2011 for 8 months or so and we have had our share of teething problems made slightly worse by a less then effecient dealer service department. I do get the sense that if you are going to get issues they are early on and that they setlle down. So you should be fine and at least if there are issues a dealer is never that far away unlike a conversion company on the other side of the country.

The manuals are pretty good for the Cali so do sit down and read them cover to cover. Many of the newbie questions are answered in the manual. The most likely thing you can do to cause yourself issues is when closing the roof. Like many others I watch the roof down from inside almost until I am hit on the head by it. Always have a window or door open as the air movement can blow the canvas out. Another tip I picked up was to watch the wind direction. Even with a window open it is possible for a gust of wind to blow the canvas out. I nearly had this happen to me so if it is windy open a down wind window.

I hope you have many years of California fun ahead of you.

We bought ours in November, a late 57' reg and have just returned from our first trip (Brittany).
Looking through the history it is clear that there were a few teething problems but all were sorted and the Cali ran beautifully over the past 5 days.
It looks and feels a quality vehicle and we have enjoyed a few days out where we have cycled and on our return, had a cup of tea or soup but over the past few days the versatility and superb design shone through.
We even moved from upstairs on our first night due to thunder and lightening and a storm and even that didn't dent our enthusiasm.
Treat it well, change the oil, familiarise yourself with the vehicle and I am sure you will have many years of freedom and fun.
On another note but certainly related to our enjoyment, we spent 9€ on accommodation for 4 nights. The others were spent in the most incredible locations and were free.
Relax and enjoy yourself.

Back