Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Car Forum Enthusiasts - not for every car it seems.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Since these forums were born on the internet they are obviously by and large an informative source and open to debate regardless of brands and models.
But despite the obvious fact that some will be more popular than others with varying amounts of enthusiastic posts (Shall we say California vs Mondeo) I'm shocked how little attention some do get.
My journey including cycle & saxophone forums, has no surprises in its flowing topics and covered BMW X3, Porsche Boxster, Range Rover Evoque and even a humble Fiesta, until now.
Our latest Car swap sees a 7 year old trusty Kia C'eed being replaced by a Skoda Kamiq and I see 2 Kamiq forums out there and 1 quite frankly gets a new post about once a week when its buzzing!!! the other you are lucky to get 1 a day.
This lacking shocks me a lot. Once you have a short list of cars I thought the whole world and his wife jumped on the relevant forums and I understand the Kamiq sells well.
Well there you are, I guess not everybody gets excited about what they are buying. Personally I am excited about this little number I see it as a step up from. the C'eed in many ways but regardless of that I seek ownership experience, dealer experiences, common issues, photos, etc and thought there would be more of it.
All that said, I don't remember being excited enough to browse a Kia C'eed forum but I think I did in the early stages.

This is a thriving forum, and I often quote sound bites from it. However my wife is less impressed by such a club and refers to it as:
The sad van club…
:D

Forums can generally impart plenty of knowledge and helpful assistance and I’m certainly one who enjoys learning about a hobby, pastime or substantial purchase from others who know a lot more about that subject than me. This forum, for example, has been amazing. However, not all are the same.

For example, years ago I joined a couple of photography forums when I started getting into digital photography. One was a fountain of help that assisted my ground-up learning immensely and I made some good friends on there. Any issues or questions and help would arrive in spades, all explained in terms a novice understood.

The other, sadly, was somewhat of a war zone most evenings. Argumentative know-it-alls that berated you into a dark damp corner if you didn’t know how to perfectly manual focus a specific 1970’s Nikkor Lens that had arrived from the Bay of Bargains without an instruction manual. And each time I posted up a photo of something I had shot, there was one particular chap who would just reply telling me all the issues with it and how he always got the perfect shot in that scenario - but alas no advice on how I was to improve. It was the forum for the bad tempered and nasty, trying to keep their covern closed to all newcomers. I left fairly promptly.

Last edited:
@Justinitus1972
Yes it takes all sorts and of course much of that starts just by people reading emotive into the written words that weren't meant but can escalate out of proportion.
But generally you'd hope being a shared interest it was about being supportive.

Most forums are based around a passion. Football clubs, popular hobbies and iconic vehicles. I am a member of a few, this one, The Oatcake (Stoke City Fanzine) and the Kawasaki Ninja 400 forum. All of which have relatively low stake holders but they passionate and interested in others views and advise on the said subject leading to high traffic on their boards. A Kamiq regardless of it many positives is unlikely to evoke this passion. There does seem to be hundreds of YouTube videos regarding this car though so maybe that may satisfy your itch.

Since these forums were born on the internet they are obviously by and large an informative source and open to debate regardless of brands and models.
But despite the obvious fact that some will be more popular than others with varying amounts of enthusiastic posts (Shall we say California vs Mondeo) I'm shocked how little attention some do get.
My journey including cycle & saxophone forums, has no surprises in its flowing topics and covered BMW X3, Porsche Boxster, Range Rover Evoque and even a humble Fiesta, until now.
Our latest Car swap sees a 7 year old trusty Kia C'eed being replaced by a Skoda Kamiq and I see 2 Kamiq forums out there and 1 quite frankly gets a new post about once a week when its buzzing!!! the other you are lucky to get 1 a day.
This lacking shocks me a lot. Once you have a short list of cars I thought the whole world and his wife jumped on the relevant forums and I understand the Kamiq sells well.
Well there you are, I guess not everybody gets excited about what they are buying. Personally I am excited about this little number I see it as a step up from. the C'eed in many ways but regardless of that I seek ownership experience, dealer experiences, common issues, photos, etc and thought there would be more of it.
All that said, I don't remember being excited enough to browse a Kia C'eed forum but I think I did in the early stages.
Try this for your Skoda

Try this for your Skoda
That's the one to go to. I used to own some tuned up Skodas years ago and used to frequent that site. It's been going for donkeys years and certainly used to be very active, no idea what it's like these days.

Try this for your Skoda
Yeah thats the most vibrant one of the 2 forums I found. I think there are certain sections which get a lot more traffic than others. Kamiq is not one of them :).
We did choose it over
an ST X line Fiesta (on size and grown up style but this was loaded with equipment and 1.9%apr)
A Puma (just don't like how it looks)
A polo (on value for money and size)
A Fabia (on style and size)
A T-cross & Seat Arona (as best combo of all 3)

I suspect the T Cross would have gained the most on line attention. At the end of the day if it is comfortable and reliable I'm going to enjoy its sleepy status.

I think this forum is unique. For a vehicle chat room, it’s populated by the most inept un-mechanically capable lot I’ve ever come across.
Obvs there are a few exceptions but on the whole, 99% of users haven’t the faintest idea which end of a screwdriver is the handle.
After that it’s the usual suspects, a small group of hard core regulars, a few Uber-posters with 5 spanner icons under their avatars, the rest, one-post-wonders.
Posts are just a rolling Groundhog Day of repeated topics.

And yet, it’s somehow addictive :rolleyes:

Most forums are extremely repetitive after a while, there is only so many different topics you can have about the Cali. That said if things aren't repeated this just becomes a reference library and will eventually die.

The Dull Men’s Club on Facebook caters for exactly that sort of vehicle.