Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Software updates

Gina-B

Gina-B

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I took my Cali 6.1 (MY2021) in for its first service recently and the receptionist said, 'We'll check for any software updates whilst it's here.' Fair enough.
But it got me thinking - If my vehicle hadn't gone in for a service, how would I know if there are any software updates available? Would they have let me know otherwise if there were any updates due/available? I'm assuming that these updates are just for the infotainment system. Or are there any for anything else?

I took my Cali 6.1 (MY2021) in for its first service recently and the receptionist said, 'We'll check for any software updates whilst it's here.' Fair enough.
But it got me thinking - If my vehicle hadn't gone in for a service, how would I know if there are any software updates available? Would they have let me know otherwise if there were any updates due/available? I'm assuming that these updates are just for the infotainment system. Or are there any for anything else?

Folowing

Minor updates the Cali does OTA via it's inbuild GPS chip. You can easily check that yourself via the menu. I do once a week and nothing recently but a week after delivery in mid July we had a few updates via OTA.

Major updates are only done at service time and sometimes then only if you ask or there are updates the manufacturer asks then to do for legal reasons.

Yet to do the Cali but we have a Tiguan and the dealer whinges every time I ask when it goes in because it "takes too long" to do the updates. They may say they will check, but that is still no guarantee it's actually done.

You don't generally know exactly whats due because updates are part of the service bulletin system that dealers use which are not public facing. Sometimes they leak through on here or on the T6 forums, usually the only way you know.

If these are the updates that can only be installed by the dealer then I was told that unless they relate to a serious safety issue they won't proactively notify you instead wait for either you take it to them to investigate a problem or have it serviced.

Minor updates the Cali does OTA via it's inbuild GPS chip. You can easily check that yourself via the menu. I do once a week and nothing recently but a week after delivery in mid July we had a few updates via OTA.

Major updates are only done at service time and sometimes then only if you ask or there are updates the manufacturer asks then to do for legal reasons.

Yet to do the Cali but we have a Tiguan and the dealer whinges every time I ask when it goes in because it "takes too long" to do the updates. They may say they will check, but that is still no guarantee it's actually done.

You don't generally know exactly whats due because updates are part of the service bulletin system that dealers use which are not public facing. Sometimes they leak through on here or on the T6 forums, usually the only way you know.
Thanks for that quick response dspuk. Sounds like I don't need to be too proactive about it.
And we're all used to dealer whinges eh!!!

If these are the updates that can only be installed by the dealer then I was told that unless they relate to a serious safety issue they won't proactively notify you instead wait for either you take it to them to investigate a problem or have it serviced.
Thanks nickb77. Good quick reply.

Mine is in at Alan Day (N11 3UT) for its first oil service now. There are a couple of minor warranty things being done too.

I asked if they'd update the software and he said its all done over the air. To avoid overwhelming VW servers they are not all offered over the air at once. The owner is asked if s/he wants the update via infotainment, and can choose to accept or not. Is this the case? I would have thought some updates are mandatory.

Also, no mention of any 'major updates' being done ever at service time...

I had to have a software update to fix the SOS button repeatedly failing. Given that it's a legal requirement now to have this feature in vehicles, you'd have thought that it would be considered a safety/legal issue for it not to work reliably. VW didn't see it that way of course.

They didn't want to fix it with a warranty update?
Yes they fixed it under warranty when I took it in for a service with no quibble. Seems it's an extremely widespread known issue but rather than do a recall they just wait for owners to report the fault - and then they apply the software fix. I imagine they just couldn't cope with recalling thousands of 6.1s so didn't treat it as a safety recall. Just found it odd that having a legally required safety feature not working wasn't seen as important enough to do a recall.

Mine is in at Alan Day (N11 3UT) for its first oil service now. There are a couple of minor warranty things being done too.

I asked if they'd update the software and he said its all done over the air. To avoid overwhelming VW servers they are not all offered over the air at once. The owner is asked if s/he wants the update via infotainment, and can choose to accept or not. Is this the case? I would have thought some updates are mandatory.

Also, no mention of any 'major updates' being done ever at service time...
My understanding is that full OTA capability is only in place for ID models. My Tiguan has zero OTA capability and while the Cali does I'm reasonably sure (although not 100%) that it's only minor updates rather than major ones. For sure there were a few early days, but nothing for a while.

I wouldn't like to rely on a very large download and update on my Cali via a 3G sim in the dash TBH.

I'll do some digging.

Last edited:
Yes they fixed it under warranty when I took it in for a service with no quibble. Seems it's an extremely widespread known issue but rather than do a recall they just wait for owners to report the fault - and then they apply the software fix. I imagine they just couldn't cope with recalling thousands of 6.1s so didn't treat it as a safety recall. Just found it odd that having a legally required safety feature not working wasn't seen as important enough to do a recall.
How did you know it had failed? I've never pressed mine...

How did you know it had failed? I've never pressed mine...
On just about every journey I'd getting a warning message at some point saying the SOS function was unavailable and the light on the button would turn from green to red. It also affected the satnav when it failed - telling me I was somewhere I definitely wasn't! I'd either have to turn the ignition off and on again to get the SOS function back, or hold down the button for 30 seconds which initiated an SOS call which I then had to immediately cancel. Been fine since the software update - dealer said it was a widespread problem with 6.1's

On just about every journey I'd getting a warning message at some point saying the SOS function was unavailable and the light on the button would turn from green to red. It also affected the satnav when it failed - telling me I was somewhere I definitely wasn't! I'd either have to turn the ignition off and on again to get the SOS function back, or hold down the button for 30 seconds which initiated an SOS call which I then had to immediately cancel. Been fine since the software update - dealer said it was a widespread problem with 6.1's
I guess mine is fine then, from factory 12 months ago it’s never done that

Touchwood, mine was updated last month and SOS hasn’t “failed” since. Prior to that it was just about every time we drove it.

It is widespread. It also (in my case at least) kills the inbuilt vehicle microphone, so that if you try to receive or make a call whilst the red SOS failed light is on no one can hear you.

I didn’t know that crying wolf by hitting the SOS button was a fix, so thanks for that tip - last time I had the fault I had to stop and restart about 4 times before it cleared.

They do the workshop / recall software updates over WiFi rather than cable for some unfathomable reason, so they won’t set them running overnight in case the connection fails - must be done on a dial-up to Wolfsburg ;-/\

My Aug '21 car went in for its year 1 oil change service last month and didn’t even get updated as ‘there wasn’t enough time’ (between 10:30 and 4 !!!), so it is in again this month for that job.

A mate in Cambridge tells me his dealer wants TWO DAYS to update his ID3 - maybe that one runs a Fortran OS?

Last edited:
I didn’t know that crying wolf by hitting the SOS button was a fix, so thanks for that tip - last time I had the fault I had to stop and restart about 4 times before it cleared.
When you release the SOS button it may seem like nothing is happening for maybe 15-30 seconds afterwards, then you get a woman's voice booming through the speakers telling you that the emergency call has been activated - just press the button again to cancel it. Gives you a bit of a shock first time you do it, but you get used to it!

When you release the SOS button it may seem like nothing is happening for maybe 15-30 seconds afterwards, then you get a woman's voice booming through the speakers telling you that the emergency call has been activated - just press the button again to cancel it. Gives you a bit of a shock first time you do it, but you get used to it!
Terrific - that's what we'll do next time!!!

Identical experience to me, also now fixed after software update.

Van was in for its 2nd service today.
Also wanted the issue of the system not retaining Sat Nav favourites and Speed Warning settings. Software update done but issues persist :-(
Software update to fix inaccurate battery status display in the Camping Control panel done and successful.
Latest software versions attached for reference.

AB15D597-0C29-44CE-9474-A3E4AE567219.jpeg

Van was in for its 2nd service today.
Also wanted the issue of the system not retaining Sat Nav favourites and Speed Warning settings. Software update done but issues persist :-(
Software update to fix inaccurate battery status display in the Camping Control panel done and successful.
Latest software versions attached for reference.

View attachment 102835
I have the same s/w versions as you, but my Discover Pro shows as hardware H57. Never had a problem with satnav favourites not saving. Only current issue with mine that I'm aware of is Google Maps going loopy and corrupting the screen using CarPlay - that one seemed to start just after the last over-the-air s/w update I got.

I have the same s/w versions as you, but my Discover Pro shows as hardware H57. Never had a problem with satnav favourites not saving. Only current issue with mine that I'm aware of is Google Maps going loopy and corrupting the screen using CarPlay - that one seemed to start just after the last over-the-air s/w update I got.
Thanks @nickb77 I can live with it, it’s just a tad irritating having to reset Speed Warning to Audible + Visual EVERY time I drive the van. Same with SatNav favourites, not a show stopper, just inconvenient.
Re’ the screen ‘going loopy’ had that once when using Waze.
Edit: I think the ‘loopy’ screen when using Waze or Google is probably more to do with the strength of the phone signal than the VW system.

Last edited:
Have had a couple of OTA updates in the past few weeks, the last one updated on the fly in the background but the one previously was a bit unusual - the update had to be manually started with the van stationary with engine off and ignition on, then turned off ignition and left alone for at least 30 mins whilst the update ran. Went back to the van later and all was updated. I've no idea what these updates cover, but would be useful to know what is being updated and why.

Have had a couple of OTA updates in the past few weeks, the last one updated on the fly in the background but the one previously was a bit unusual - the update had to be manually started with the van stationary with engine off and ignition on, then turned off ignition and left alone for at least 30 mins whilst the update ran. Went back to the van later and all was updated. I've no idea what these updates cover, but would be useful to know what is being updated and why.
It's just VW pushing out some more bugs to you so their engineers can justify their existence by fixing them (eventually).

Question…… is OTA updates only on the ‘paid’ version?

Back