Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar, again.

K

Kev56

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Thinking now about getting some solar panels, read a lot on here about them. I’m not too savvy regarding this, but are they evolving like every thing else in the tech world? ie. are they out of date as soon as they are fitted and superseded by a new model. Lots of recommendations for Roger going back a few years, question is are they up to date if you know what I mean. Hoping Roger can answer this.

Thinking now about getting some solar panels, read a lot on here about them. I’m not too savvy regarding this, but are they evolving like every thing else in the tech world? ie. are they out of date as soon as they are fitted and superseded by a new model. Lots of recommendations for Roger going back a few years, question is are they up to date if you know what I mean. Hoping Roger can answer this.
Understand your question

However, you’ll be charging 12v batteries which have a finite charge they can accept over a given time / Amps / charge profile which is controlled by the Solar controller (not the panels)

Roger gets lots of shouts because he’s a great guy to deal with and he provides an extended warranty for the latest panels, detailed instructions with photos and email support. He provides a kit that most people with rudimentary skills are able to fit neatly (following the instructions)

You may be able to buy the individual components cheaper but then have to make up frames, fixings & cables etc. and potentially deal with multi companies as far as warranty etc.

Edit : full disclosure, I have a single panel set up from Roger, very happy with the service and three or so months in i’m very happy with how it’s has performed and particularly the service provided by Roger. ( unlike Amazon I haven’t been paid for this review, nor received free goods )

Last edited:
Roger has a solution that's very non-intrusive, reliable and has been iteratively improved. You could do things better and cheaper but it's going to take a lot of work.

I've ditched the nuts and bolts on my Roger installation but I suspect my environment is more corrosive than average. You could do the same if necessary for 30 quid or so.

As said, the reality is either the panels get smaller (or more W for the same area) or the MPPT’s get more efficient. They still have to charge a battery system thats not really changed for a long time.

They aren’t. At least not quickly. No Moores law here.

At this price point for Solar any return will last way past your investment.

You won't go wrong buying the kit from Roger, three years warranty now too. I have two panels on the roof, fitted myself quite easily using the instructions supplied, best addition to the van by far. Plenty of people on here to ask questions of if you get stuck.

Had Roger’s on our old van for 3 years, sold them to the new owner with the van…never had an issue - can recommend.

The fact that he is still trading says a lot, alot of solar companies pop up & then disappear within 12 months or so.

Back