Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Camper Solutions

Dazza-doo

Dazza-doo

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all, i’m New to this forum but wanted to post a quick review, hope I’ve posted in right area.
We are the proud owners of our first VW California Ocean and so glad we made the decision. We are busy planning our trips one of which hopefully will be a long winter trip to Southern Europe where we hope to enjoy some winter sun with plenty of hiking involved. Something that was important to us was to survive off-grid hence our recent addition of solar panels (2 x 120W), these were supplied and fitted by Roger at Solar Camper Soltions. One of my concerns was installing Solar onto a new Van but the kit was installed without any the need to do any drilling, the only hole that was made was in the rubber electrical conduit between tailgate and van, in order to run the cable from panels into van. As I type we are camping in Bodmin moor and it’s 9.00 am and currently producing 78 watts, solar panels are pointing south so confident this will increase dramatically around mid-day. Anyway thanks Roger for doing such a great job on our installation, so pleased with our purchase, free electricity:)

11B199F8-0A96-481C-BDC6-D50531F318F7.jpeg

Welcome allong , enjoy easter camping .

I’m booked into Roger’s shop just before Slimbridge meet. Going for two panels and curly wire.

You won’t be disappointed, not only is it charging my VW batteries but also charging a goal Zero Yeti on alternative days, I already had this and now use it in my van to charge devices and also boil electric kettle and as a back-up. Though we have had plenty of sunshine, real test will be on cloudy days.

Thanks for the feedback ;-)

You won’t be disappointed, not only is it charging my VW batteries but also charging a goal Zero Yeti on alternative days, I already had this and now use it in my van to charge devices and also boil electric kettle and as a back-up. Though we have had plenty of sunshine, real test will be on cloudy days.

Interested in a goal Zero Yeti myself. How have you arranged the wiring?

Hi, Roger fitted a couple of MC4 connectors on the Solar leads just before it plugs into solar controller, I just plug in an extension lead into these with Anderson powerpole connectors the other end that plugs straight into goal Zero. I also have a 100w folding solar panel from Lensun (good quality and price) that works well with the goal Zero.

Yes I do. I also have Solar from Roger and still going strong after 5+ years.

Robert.

- Your panels were installed by a 3rd party. Stuck on, over 2 years ago. I have no knowledge of their methods. This may have been the cause of the problems but I can't tell without seeing.
- They have seemingly failed - I talked through diagnostics with you.
- You demanded out of warranty free replacements
- You told me I should be buying thin panels with at least 5 years warranty - I asked where you found such panels as the most I have every got is 2 years from Midsummer (which not even they do any more) - you had not found any.
- I didn't offer you a "10-20% discount" at all. I offered you "heavily discounted replacements" - I'd have done it for cost had you not immediately moved to legal threats.
- I also offered you rigid framed panels with 15 years warranty, which would have been at cost. I offered you these after you told me to "think of our children" several times.
- You asked me to confront my supplier's supplier in China regarding the carbon footprint etc. I can't possibly do that, they are not my supplier. You are more than welcome to contact them yourself. It IS my responsibility to look after my customers, and I do. It is NOT my responsibility to deal with my suppliers' suppliers on ethical issues. I don't sell solar for ecological reasons, I've have never claimed to. I sell them for convenience.

Thin panels can indeed fail sometimes (as do framed panels too). When that has happend, and my customers will tell you this, I've either replaced them FOC, even outside warranty if not too long after, or at near-cost - as I like to look after my customers and don't "slam the door" at 12 months. I treat people as I'd expect to be treated. There was even a bad batch of panels that frequently failed at pretty much the 12 month mark, and my supplier (not Midsummer, I'll add) and myself arranged to extend the warranty to 2 years - replacing them with full prepped, ready to swap panels at no cost to my customers (or quibbles) other than shipping if it was outside 12 months.

My panels are made by the same factory as Midsummer use as I know the quality of the products as I've been using them for years.

I won't go into the details of our email conversation as it is unprofessional, but what I will say is that you are blocked on my firewall.

I would also ask Robert, or the moderator to remove the reference to me being a cowboy - that is defamation.

I don’t understand, is there a post missing between yours and the post of Dazza-doo?
A number of posts have been removed and I deleted one of mine that quoted one of the removed posts.

I don’t understand, is there a post missing between yours and the post of Dazza-doo?

Yep - someone made an account specfically to bad mouth me. All a bit unpleasant. I can take criticism but he was on full defamation mode. Unjustly.

Yep - someone made an account specfically to bad mouth me. All a bit unpleasant. I can take criticism but he was on full defamation mode. Unjustly.
Hang on in there Roger. There are lots of good testimonies re your service on here.

Ah, now I understand. I don’t know you, and I guess that isn’t going to happen either, since I’m from the Netherlands. But your reputation on this forum didn’t match with your reaction in this thread. Mystery solved and keep up the good work
(And a big sorry for my cranky English☺️)

Back