Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar only charges 2nd leisure battery

IMG_0976.jpeg
I think I might have found the problem. It seems like there's a fuse in front of the first leisurebattery aswell on the T6.1. As you can see on the picture 12.8v is consistent with what I measured with the multimeter on the 2nd leisurebattery in the back. And 12.4v is equal to the measurement from battery 1. I have not seen this kind of fuse before, does anyone know what it's called and if it's hard or not to replace?

View attachment 94647
I think I might have found the problem. It seems like there's a fuse in front of the first leisurebattery aswell on the T6.1. As you can see on the picture 12.8v is consistent with what I measured with the multimeter on the 2nd leisurebattery in the back. And 12.4v is equal to the measurement from battery 1. I have not seen this kind of fuse before, does anyone know what it's called and if it's hard or not to replace?
I can't see this on the diagram? Is it possible that your split charge relay (J7) has failed short circuit and that you see engine battery voltage on the other side and that the fuse is SJ2?

I can't see this on the diagram? Is it possible that your split charge relay (J7) has failed short circuit and that you see engine battery voltage on the other side and that the fuse is SJ2?
Hmm it's strange indeed... I did some more measurements and the enginebattery voltage is at 12.32. I also started the engine, and the voltage to the right in the image (battery 1) jumped from 12.4 to 14.4v. So it seems like what I wrote on the image, still is valid?

Hmm it's strange indeed... I did some more measurements and the enginebattery voltage is at 12.32. I also started the engine, and the voltage to the right in the image (battery 1) jumped from 12.4 to 14.4v. So it seems like what I wrote on the image, still is valid?
If you can measure a different voltage each side of a fuse, it has definitely blown though. I good fuse will have an almost identical reading each side.

So I think you are on the right track and replacing the fuse should solve it if it doesn't blow again for any reason.

View attachment 94647
The fuse looks like it's riveted onto the assembly. Replacement of the fuse alone doesn't look easy. Where is this located?

Last edited:
Just to check, your picture is of the battery under the left seat isn't it ?

The fuse looks like it's riveted onto the assembly. Replacement of the fuse alone doesn't look easy. Where is this located?
no it was not quite simple, because you also need to lift the chair.
Yes, it was riveted, but I managed to pry off the broken fuse from the rivet itself. The new fuse had a slightly smaller hole, so in the left part (where it is screwed on with a nut) I had to drill a slightly larger hole. But in the right part it was good that the hole in the fuse was smaller, because then I could push it into the existing rivet and it is now firmly attached

no it was not quite simple, because you also need to lift the chair.
Yes, it was riveted, but I managed to pry off the broken fuse from the rivet itself. The new fuse had a slightly smaller hole, so in the left part (where it is screwed on with a nut) I had to drill a slightly larger hole. But in the right part it was good that the hole in the fuse was smaller, because then I could push it into the existing rivet and it is now firmly attached
Has it solved your problem?

Where is that fuse box exactly? I'm wondering if the 200amp fuse below is starter battery. I had a 6.1 customer recently who's engine charging was not working. The relay was energising but no connection was being made to the starter battery and I was hunting for a fuse that could be the culprit.

Where is that fuse box exactly? I'm wondering if the 200amp fuse below is starter battery. I had a 6.1 customer recently who's engine charging was not working. The relay was energising but no connection was being made to the starter battery and I was hunting for a fuse that could be the culprit.
Think that fuse is under the seat next to the leisure battery on the T6.1

Think that fuse is under the seat next to the leisure battery on the T6.1
I found a link in another thread to this page: https://k3yak.com/vw-california-leisure-battery-replacement/ great tip about using a piece of wood to wedge the seat (so you don't have to remove the entire seat, but just tilt it). When you do this you get access to the two fuses that are located just to the right of the +ve terminal

In all the many installs I've done, I simply remove all 4 seat nuts, wind/tilt the seat-back forwards, then from behind lift it up enough to clear the bolts and rest the runners on the base with the seat resting on the dash board. Never pulled the wire out, and never lost the seat :)

Back