Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel on Cali

K

kevin williams

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi all I currently don’t have a Cali but am in the process of looking for one
My current van is a 2017 new shape Citroen dispatch which I converted my self I have a 130 amp lithium battery topped up by a battery 2battery charger and a 250 watt solar Panal my fridge is a dometic top loader just like the calis this fridge is constantly on and freeze things in the bottom corner question is has any body fitted a solar Panal to their Cali and has anyone used lithium leisure batteries or will I not need either I have wild camped for over a week fridge on full using light etc and charging iPads phones etc and never ran out of power what will I get from the Cali thanks

Welcome on board , there are sevral posts in the "solar panel" section of the forum maybe you can find some tips there...

Thanks I’ve just found it very interesting fourum

There are kits available for solar that will just bolt onto the rail system on the cali. @Roger Donoghue is a forum sponsor and an expert.

With regards to Lithium batteries, I've don't recall seeing one but there probably isn't reason why not. The upside of them seems to be better capacity and output but a shorter lifespan (dependant on how you use it). You would probably need to change the charger on hookup and look at the alternator (your b2b setup may get around that. As the Cali has 2 leisure batteries you could probably get a setup in.

For me I am not so keen on lithium in my Cali because of how volatile they are, if you ever watch the Kombi life youtube channel you may have seen that a lithium battery set their van on fire whilst it was stored away between trips. I guess I should get used to it though as electric cars will have much more batteries. ;)

Thanks Matt I intend to take the lithium battery out off my current van to keep as spare as it was very expensive and I’ve no problems in the year it has been in my van I have two of these batteries but not sure yet if they will physically fit the Cali yet thanks again

I know a few photographers who have lithium as it really aids them in charging things and running their office mobile effectively, far better at putting down the power. Cali's use AGM batteries, one under passenger seat one in the rear, if the lithium charging profiles are similar you would be good to go :)

I know a few photographers who have lithium as it really aids them in charging things and running their office mobile effectively, far better at putting down the power. Cali's use AGM batteries, one under passenger seat one in the rear, if the lithium charging profiles are similar you would be good to go :)
Thanks Matt I’ve been reading lots on here especially the downloads manuals wiring diagrams really useful can’t wait to get one

Welcome and the best of luck with your enterprise.

Welcome and the best of luck with your enterprise.
I’m a truck driver with an ADR (hazardous goods) licence. I found out on my last refresher course that lithium batteries are great as long as they don’t break!

Hi Kevin
just to add that I've got a solar panel from @Roger Donoghue fitted to my Cali.
Earlier in the summer we spent 3 weeks in France and Spain with fridge on full the whole time (5) this gives great cooling for beer wine etc at the bottom of the fridge and is perfect for food at the top.
We didn't need to hook up at all in that period so totally impressed with the product and how well it works.
Battery power never dropped below 80% during the trip and most of the time was at 90%+
Highly recommended :thumb
(Can't comment on lithium batteries)

Hi Kevin, My early 2013 California Beach doesn't have hook up. Because of this, and I thought it a little less of an intrusive installation, I fitted a 100W panel using coach bolts in the T slots for a roof rack. I've also got a little homemade, removable pod/unit with a Waeco fridge freezer, sink and hob; to which I've bolted the solar controller. When I remove this unit from the floor rails and take it out I also have to disconnect two plugs - a connection to the one battery in a Beach under the left seat and one to the roof panel. This has been working for a couple of years to good effect. What are the dimensions of your batteries, I'd be quite interested in using Lithium or similar in the future. There is also a replacement battery post where the dimensions of those fitted to a cali are mentioned.
Jon