Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

my new solar panel

JohnGuppy

JohnGuppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
After the fitting of the solar panel yesterday I am now running on 100% solar, after setting the fridge to mid range , at 8am today I checked the state of charge and its not charging !!! normal folk would think this don't work ?

Both leisure batteries reading 14.19volts fully charged

Solar panel output 66w at 16.8volts
Charge float means trickle charge
load 2.4 amps being drawn by van

If I elevate the roof later it will give a more correct angle towards the sun and this will produce more output so it is worth considering site location to get free power

On my house I have 8 solar panels of 1200 w charging 4 off 400 amp hr lithium Phosphate batteries ( can charge and discharge from full to 20% ) this runs my whole house for 12-16 hours free

Also you do not need the sun to be out light will produce some output

I will check in a weeks time and see how things are going

I was wondering if there were a hinge available somewhere with a double opening so the panel could be angled correctly. Hinges like those on a Thule roof box?

..message ends..

I was wondering if there were a hinge available somewhere with a double opening so the panel could be angled correctly. Hinges like those on a Thule roof box?

..message ends..
Haven't found that to be a problem over the past 2+ years.
The sun moves and you would only be able to angle the panel in 1 direction without moving the van. Hardly seems to be very cost/time effective.;)

Great things these solar panels - 5 weeks touring with a family of four and two dogs and no hookup.

With 2 x 100w panels they should suffice through winter too.

I'm considering adding an inverter to make use of excess power. So if anyone knows of any good inverters for a Beach that can charge toothbrushes, please let me know.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

Haven't found that to be a problem over the past 2+ years.
The sun moves and you would only be able to angle the panel in 1 direction without moving the van. Hardly seems to be very cost/time effective.;)

I was just thinking out loud, but you make a valid point.

Can someone please post a picture of what it looks like from the interior. I've searched the forum but no luck, worried about dangling cables etc.

Can someone please post a picture of what it looks like from the interior. I've searched the forum but no luck, worried about dangling cables etc.
Well on mine there are no cables to see except in the rear wardrobe.

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

Aha that's the same installation as we are going for. Thanks for the pics, all fears now removed. Solar here ewe come !

& the West Country . Have a brilliant time.

My father was born in Gateshead . Haven't been back in ages.
My nephew graduates from Newcastle uni today. Loved his time there.

Just finished mine also. Took my time. Very simple. Instructions and kit from Roger spot on. Only debate I had was where to put the connectors on the roof. So I stuck some tape on the roof, first indent in and sat them in there under the panel.

Read the instructions yet still tried to feed the wire through the wrong hole through the grommet hole.......
FOLLOW THE SUPERB INSTRUCTIONS........ simples..
Battery removal was fun....

Was concerned about the wire into the tailgate... But theres loads and loads of space. Will have to tidy that area up when I have a little more time.

Also on the grommet, I punctured a round hole and forced the wire through, on the underside of the rubber. The wire should have sealed itself to the gromet and it was on the underside so less chance of a leak. Rather than the suggested cut.

As plod says "nothing to see here" on the inside. Not a single wire to be seen. All wires in cupboard on top shelf.. I went Bluetooth and its wonderful. May use those plug in voltage checkers as well..

Only thing to see is the roof...

Solar - 4.jpg Solar - 3.jpg Solar - 1.jpg

Just finished mine also. Took my time. Very simple. Instructions and kit from Roger spot on. Only debate I had was where to put the connectors on the roof. So I stuck some tape on the roof, first indent in and sat them in there under the panel.

Read the instructions yet still tried to feed the wire through the wrong hole through the grommet hole.......
FOLLOW THE SUPERB INSTRUCTIONS........ simples..
Battery removal was fun....

Was concerned about the wire into the tailgate... But theres loads and loads of space. Will have to tidy that area up when I have a little more time.

Also on the grommet, I punctured a round hole and forced the wire through, on the underside of the rubber. The wire should have sealed itself to the gromet and it was on the underside so less chance of a leak. Rather than the suggested cut.

As plod says "nothing to see here" on the inside. Not a single wire to be seen. All wires in cupboard on top shelf.. I went Bluetooth and its wonderful. May use those plug in voltage checkers as well..

Only thing to see is the roof...

View attachment 23573 View attachment 23574 View attachment 23575
That's a really clean set up. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3d5d07e3549697d2df668b2f124ee8fe.jpg
2051f3518bd6550ddaa87e6eb571b627.jpg
f080101d1721ca86e2e141ab8dd0ef2f.jpg

27c84793c5ca8fcce00135e225ca16cb.jpg

I have not done a solar setup on a California yet (I'm still waiting for mine) however I did build a completely off-grid campervan in the States when I was there for 9 months, so have learned quite a lot. This setup has 300watts of solar, a MPPT charger with remote controller, 200Ah AGM battery, battery to battery charger, 1500w inverter. All added up to about ÂŁ1,200. The solar system was about half of that.

Lessons learned - It is much cheaper to buy individual components than a ready made pack. However the systems being bought and fitted here are giving a really clean look.

The main point I would like to offer, is that any shadow across the panels can significantly reduce the output. So anyone that is planning to carry boards or anything on their roof should consider this when installing. This doesn't mean it cant be done though. The good thing is when you need to carry anything, you are normally driving and therefore charging your auxiliary battery with your alternator. When you park up and set up your off-grid base, take the board or canoe off your bars and your panel will work perfectly.

If you are planning on carrying anything I would consider putting your roof bars on and seeing where your panels are best placed so that the bars (when empty) do not cast a shadow over the panels.

I will definitely be fitting a solar system to mine. I am likely to go with a two panel system with MPPT charger and an app. I would be happy to buy the same system as many here too. It looks ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, any chance of a photo showing where the wire actually enters the California van.
Thanks.

Hi, any chance of a photo showing where the wire actually enters the California van.
Thanks.
A6320BBA-0984-499E-8991-08FAA9CFA312.jpeg

Wire passes into the Rear Wardrobe. Use a stiff wire first to pass through.

Brill, appreciate the quick reply. Did you fit your own?
Yes. The most problematic part of the installation was getting a stiff length of wire through the corrugated rubber wire cover into the top of the wardrobe, took all of 10 minutes.
Tip. Wire comes from roof into rubber cover. Make sure you leave enough length from roof edge to cover to account for putting the roof up without pulling. In fact leave sufficient that when roof up the wire passes into the tailgate groove and loops upto the rubber cover so water cannot run down the wire.

Yes. The most problematic part of the installation was getting a stiff length of wire through the corrugated rubber wire cover into the top of the wardrobe, took all of 10 minutes.
Tip. Wire comes from roof into rubber cover. Make sure you leave enough length from roof edge to cover to account for putting the roof up without pulling. In fact leave sufficient that when roof up the wire passes into the tailgate groove and loops upto the rubber cover so water cannot run down the wire.
Tidy job done there.

Excuse what might be a silly question - but will this power the 3 pin socket behind the passenger seat, the same as when you have EHU? Or just charges the batteries?

Excuse what might be a silly question - but will this power the 3 pin socket behind the passenger seat, the same as when you have EHU? Or just charges the batteries?

Solar panels will just charge the batteries for the 12 volt leisure sockets.

Without serious modification, the three pin socket will only be live when you are on hookup.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

can you Check it? in my california i have 230v Socket working without being on hookup. i mean that i can use small watt for example laptop running from these socket straight from lasure batteries. ?? is it original or i have some modification in installation? can someone check in your cars?

Back