Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel - Where to mount Victron MPPT?

S

subthree

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have just bought a solar kit from Roger with the Victron charger. I am interested to know where, and how, people have mounted the Victron unit. Any photos would be really appreciated. Thank you folks.

I have just bought a solar kit from Roger with the Victron charger. I am interested to know where, and how, people have mounted the Victron unit. Any photos would be really appreciated. Thank you folks.
Hi Subthree,

there is a thread with some photos, I’ll try and find it and post here

I think generally it’s on the B pillar passenger side assuming it’s the digital display your talking about ?

if it’s the control unit anywhere accessible but hidden

Last edited:
Hi Subthree,

there is a thread with some photos, I’ll try and find it and post here

I think generally it’s on the B pillar passenger side assuming it’s the digital display your talking about ?

if it’s the control unit anywhere accessible but hidden
Thanks Perfectos.

The Victron unit is tiny - 100mm x 113mm x 40mm. It has built in Bluetooth so no display. I am assuming it will be mounted in the rear cupboard but keen to understand where people have put it and whether anyone has used adhesive velcro rather than drilling.

1647166609759.png

Thanks Perfectos.

The Victron unit is tiny - 100mm x 113mm x 40mm. It has built in Bluetooth so no display. I am assuming it will be mounted in the rear cupboard but keen to understand where people have put it and whether anyone has used adhesive velcro rather than drilling.

View attachment 90338
Posted a link in my original post, double sided automotive foam tape would do the job of mounting without drilling - widely available on line (choose a 3m product)

The instructions provided with the kit give good locations for both Ocean & Beach. I can’t pass you a copy as no longer have them. (For our Beach fitted nicely in the Jack compartment; secured with 1 screw to internal panel using an existing hole, but Velcro would also work)

Thanks Perfectos.

View attachment 90338
I put mine in the top of the rear cupboard. You run the cables up the left hand side of that cupboard from the leisure battery and the input from the solar comes in at the top, so top of cupboard works well.

I put mine in the top of the rear cupboard. You run the cables up the left hand side of that cupboard from the leisure battery and the input from the solar comes in at the top, so top of cupboard works well.
That what I was thinking as well, top of the cupboard, as when we go biking I can fit 2 helmets on the top shelf.

Here's where I mounted my Victron MPPT ...

WARNING the inside of the Cali and this aluminium panel can get VERY hot in sunny 30C+ temperatures so I mounted my MPPT on small standoffs to reduce the heat transferred to it and all works fine :)

IMG_20210909_152241491_HDR.jpg

Here's where I mounted my Victron MPPT ...

WARNING the inside of the Cali and this aluminium panel can get VERY hot in sunny 30C+ temperatures so I mounted my MPPT on small standoffs to reduce the heat transferred to it and all works fine :)

View attachment 90343
Much appreciated :thumb

Installed my kit from SCS yesterday. Fitted the controller above middle shelf.
PXL_20220312_141709170.jpg

Mounted my Victron using 2 strips of metal to pickup the screw mounting holes of the unit. These then had a bend/hook put in so that the strips can just hang over the wardrobe panel…Quite secure and also doesn’t involve any drilling into van.

Back