Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar MPPT controllers

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am new to these forums so please point me in the right direction if this is the wrong spot for this post or if it has been answered elsewhere.

I am looking at the options for adding a solar panel to the roof of our T6 Beach 3 seat bench. Roger's kit is an attractive proposition but I am also looking at options to get round the need for finding somewhere to mount an internal display - there isnt an ideal location.

One solution could be the Victron BlueSolar 75/10 (10a) MPPT controller. Is is similar money to the others out there but has the option of a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the comms port and, when combined with a simple iphone app, provide a nice display of the useful stuff.

https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...-Blue-Solar-Charge-Controller-overview-EN.pdf

Has anyone got experience of Victron stuff. (I believe they are part of Philips)?

Would it be normal to tuck the controller away in the left rear jack compartment (is there much room there)?

Finally, is cable routing (for good quality pair of 4mm2 cables) from the rear, down the left side of the van to the passenger seat pretty straight forward- tucking it behind trim etc?

Our controller is a Victron. Happily winking away in France.
Excellent piece of kit and has made a big difference to the charging over cheaper ones.
No display or BT connections on ours. Just works well.

I can't speak for this model I'm afraid but I do know my controller has a metal back plate which is in effect a heat sink. In theory when there is more current than needed it turns the excess electricity into heat. For that reason they are I believe intended to be fitted against a surface (to dissipate the heat).

BT option sounds like a great idea but to be fair my MPPT of the same brand pretty much has a simple charging indicator and has worked a charm for 2 years now.

Thanks MattBW. My logic with the BT option was to allow me to hide the controller away behind a panel (or at least just behind the hook up) and not have to drill to mount a visible readout. Te other option is for me to stick it in there and trust all god but I am not sure I could resist the need to keep checking it.

Thanks MattBW. My logic with the BT option was to allow me to hide the controller away behind a panel (or at least just behind the hook up) and not have to drill to mount a visible readout. Te other option is for me to stick it in there and trust all god but I am not sure I could resist the need to keep checking it.
Why would you need to keep checking it. It is either working or not.
If you plugged a small digital voltmeter into the 12v socket on top of the Dashboard, which is powered by the Leisure Battery, or any 12v socket behind the front seats, then this would tell you if you had power from the panel or not when light and the Leisure battery capacity when dark.

Back