Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panel

I bought 2 panel dual charger kit from Roger over 2 years ago. I have not needed to use EHU to charge on drive since. Before that I had to do it every month. I installed myself with no issues.

Hi guys - I should be taking delivery of our new Ocean in a couple of months. What solar setup would you recommend? 1, 2 or 3 panels? What charger type do you recommend? I've been eyeing up SCS so likely to drive down and get it installed and make a weekend of it.

If you drop me an email (address below, or on my website) I've got a nice template reply that explains all that you ask. Currently in an airport awaiting a plane to take me skiing for a week! But I'll be checking my emails and processing orders etc.

R

Hi guys - I should be taking delivery of our new Ocean in a couple of months. What solar setup would you recommend? 1, 2 or 3 panels? What charger type do you recommend? I've been eyeing up SCS so likely to drive down and get it installed and make a weekend of it.
SCS for us; fitted two years ago and no complaints. No wind noise, easy fitting, and working as good as the day we got them. Even managed to install solo, which surprised me.

3 panels - take you all the way through uk winter with no issues.

If you drop me an email (address below, or on my website) I've got a nice template reply that explains all that you ask. Currently in an airport awaiting a plane to take me skiing for a week! But I'll be checking my emails and processing orders etc.

R
Done - enjoy your holiday.

Yeah, might as well get the max. I will be charging laptops and cameras which will be using the 300W inverter I'm guessing. So best to keep topped up as much as possible.

Or two for April - October use only will be plenty. For the extra pennies, two in series are worth the extra over a single panel IMO. There are always more gadgets you can buy to use the excess power if so inclined!

Or two for April - October use only will be plenty. For the extra pennies, two in series are worth the extra over a single panel IMO. There are always more gadgets you can buy to use the excess power if so inclined!
Yeah likely to get three I think.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah likely to get three I think.

Thanks for the replies.
You are exactly where I was 5 months ago.
Did all the usual research and ended up with Roger at SCS supplying and fitting
- Curly self retracting cable
- 300W Triple panel kit (3 panels)
- Victron 100/20 Bluetooth MPPT Charger
- 12v Female cigar socket to charge an Ecoflow.

As an aside, I drove down and stopped at the World's End pub, which is literally 5 mins from Roger. Great food. Best to call ahead to park in the car park.

You are exactly where I was 5 months ago.
Did all the usual research and ended up with Roger at SCS supplying and fitting
- Curly self retracting cable
- 300W Triple panel kit (3 panels)
- Victron 100/20 Bluetooth MPPT Charger
- 12v Female cigar socket to charge an Ecoflow.

As an aside, I drove down and stopped at the World's End pub, which is literally 5 mins from Roger. Great food. Best to call ahead to park in the car park.
Exactly what I'm going to go for.

Few questions - how is the Victron MPPT and 12v Female socket fixed?

Exactly what I'm going to go for.

Few questions - how is the Victron MPPT and 12v Female socket fixed?i
I'm not very technical, so here's a couple.of pics of Roger's installation. All I've done is fitted a 12v splitter, so I can run my rear dashcam, as well as the Ecoflow. The 12v socket is connected to the two right hand side terminals

View attachment IMG_5360.jpeg

IMG_5361.jpeg

I'm not very technical, so here's a couple.of pics of Roger's installation. All I've done is fitted a 12v splitter, so I can run my rear dashcam, as well as the Ecoflow. The 12v socket is connected to the two right hand side terminals

View attachment 117903

View attachment 117904
Thanks for this.

Not massively keen on it being screwed in but guessing no other option really.

Thanks for this.

Not massively keen on it being screwed in but guessing no other option really.
Other people have used heavy duty Velcro. Thats what I’m going to try when I get my Cali and install solar. Got to be worth a try before screwing.

[
3M double sided tape. Just ask @flying banana for tips.
Think the 3m tape caused @flying banana an issue as it covered the WIFI password, hence might be better to use screws.

(..In a Beach, it screws nicely into the jack cubby hole.)

SCS to supply. If you fancy an afternoon of fun read my guide and fit yourself, else get Roger to do it.

1 Panel if you are going to use EHU a lot and just need the odd top up to keep yourself happy
2 If you are going to "wild" camp more often and need more than the 3 to 4 days off the batteries
3 If you are going to be off grid.

1 does us nicely and the beauty of the kit is you can add more panels later.

We decided to not go wild with panels based on the reality of how we use it.

The batteries last a lot longer than people think and battery/laptop charging off grid not actually that draining, given that if you are then driving afterwards you will recharge the batteries anyway.

SCS to supply. If you fancy an afternoon of fun read my guide and fit yourself, else get Roger to do it.

1 Panel if you are going to use EHU a lot and just need the odd top up to keep yourself happy
2 If you are going to "wild" camp more often and need more than the 3 to 4 days off the batteries

The batteries last a lot longer than people think and battery/laptop charging off grid not actually that draining, given that if you are then driving afterwards you will recharge the batteries anyway.
It’ll definitely be used off grid so going for three panels.

I’ll get roger to install also as it just means it has been done right. Plus an excuse to have a trip down south in it.

I agree with this. Roger installed a single panel on our van this summer while we were travelling the UK. We spend 23 days in the UK without needing hookup. Did drive quite a lot between camp sites, but for us 1 panel has been sufficient so far.

[

Think the 3m tape caused @flying banana an issue as it covered the WIFI password, hence might be better to use screws.

(..In a Beach, it screws nicely into the jack cubby hole.)
Yes. Absolutely. But all you need to do is take a note or photograph the codes before you install it. I didn't. Wasn't an issue till I changed phones and needed the code. Then the 3m held firm against all my efforts .