Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panels

G

golfie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi
Although I have not taken delivery of my Cali yet I am thinking of all the bits I will need. On my previous MH I had a solar panel which I found brilliant. I have seen semi flexible panels fixed onto T5 conversions and I wondered if any body has any experience of using/fitting these, size, fitting cabling through roof etc.
Thanks
Colin

golfie said:
Hi
Although I have not taken delivery of my Cali yet I am thinking of all the bits I will need. On my previous MH I had a solar panel which I found brilliant. I have seen semi flexible panels fixed onto T5 conversions and I wondered if any body has any experience of using/fitting these, size, fitting cabling through roof etc.
Thanks
Colin
Can I ask why you found it brilliant? Am assuming that the panel trickle charges the leisure batteries and isn't big enough to run small 240v appliances?

Why wouldn't you just run the engine for a bit to top up the charge (assuming hook up isn't available)

The costs seem disproportionate to the benefits, although I possibly don't understand the benefit fully

Hi

I have to keep my mh in a compound with no hook up. The alarm etc used to run the engine battery down so the unless started the engine on a regular basis I had problems. When I start the engine I like to run it upto operating temperature, in winter this was not always possible. Also being a wild camping skier it was reassuring to know that however cold it was outside the vehicle battery was always fully charged. Thats why I found it brilliant. As yet I dont know how I will use the VW but I thought I would keep the options open and ask the question.
Regards
Colin

Hi frigorifix

Thanks for the link. Pics look good, not sure about the holes in the roof.
C

Blog in japanese, one of our members. Use google chrome browser to translate. He has fitted solar panels to his cali & has detailed explanation of how he did it.
http://papapaddle.exblog.jp/18221119/

What you have to remember any install like a solar system will probably invalidate electrical warranty cover.

Search the forum as there has been a bit of talk about it.

Another member pirat has done it. He did not cut any holes in his cali, mounted panels on roof bar track. Some details in this thread.
http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1251&p=8822

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply.
I never thougfht about the warranty aspect. I think I will keep my money in the piggy bank and carry a good set of jump leads.
Regards

Colin

golfie said:
Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply.
I never thougfht about the warranty aspect. I think I will keep my money in the piggy bank and carry a good set of jump leads.
Regards

Colin

You're welcome. I looked into it & came to the sameconclusion.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

With regards to jump leads would it be possible to jump start the engine battery from one of the leisure batteries? This would've helped when I had a flat battery last year if I'd thought of it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2