Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar shower/water heater

stephen watson

stephen watson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've often thought of making a fixed solar shower/water heater, using some black drain pipe, fixed to the rail on the opposite side to the awning. Well I saw one today in Brittany. Unfortunately I didn't meet the owner, so wasn't able to ask how effective it was. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done it and if so exactly how. The drainpipe is easy enough, but I'd like the fixings and fittings to look more brandrup than cheap diy. I had thought it would be best to fill with a hose fitting but now realise you would need a vent to expel the air. It could be built sloping or another idea I've had was to use a 12v lilo compressor to force the water out.....

PXL_20220809_093533080.jpg

PXL_20220809_093628090.jpg

We bought a “Solar shower” in home bargains. It consists of a 20ltr heavy duty plastic bag with a hook one end and a tiny shower hose and rose for the outlet. When left in the sun for a few hours the water inside gets very hot. In fact hot enough to use for dish washing so would need to mix with some cold for shower use. Price as far as I can remember was £2.50. Crude but not as crude as the one in the picture..

That's good value! Like you we've got something similar (but more expensive) from Ortlieb and sea to summit and it works well. I just need to resist the urge to make something else for the van, although one advantage would be a permenant way of carrying more water and available immediately.

That's good value! Like you we've got something similar (but more expensive) from Ortlieb and sea to summit and it works well. I just need to resist the urge to make something else for the van, although one advantage would be a permenant way of carrying more water and available immediately.
Only thing is the cheap ones in the poly bag the water does tend to smell a bit plasticky..

Back