Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warm shower... would this work?

Pouring a ketle hot water in there is not a proplem at all it's just why and what that i question ....
As said by others above a bucket , waterbag can be used as shower , use things you have allready and pretend you are Macgyver

@Wildcamper , seems you have a hightop and that verhicle is much different than a Cali , if i would have any hightop westfalia or conversion i would have a boiler also.

Lol....and there was me thinking boiling a kettle and pouring it into a tank was simple. Who knew?

Lots of Cali owners. Maybe O.K. in theory, but in practice....
Apart from the time it takes to boil enough kettle loads, and being able to pour it safely into the tank it sounds like this could work for you if you can fill your tank with fresh easily afterwards. For some, only a shower will do and it sounds like a feasible alternative, for people who feel that, to carrying extra gear such as a solar shower. If you try it, let us know how you get on please.

Having now invested in a fully functioning hot water system all we to do is flick a switch - hot water in 5 mins. Sounds simple to me. Regarding the "Commando", I doubt many of us go to bed with a sweaty commando - I don't!

If you dont mind me asking....how much was your hot water system all fitted?......its something id definitely be interested in as we will quite often be off grid and I do like the idea of having hot water and the ability to have a quick shower.

These are what we have, as said not the cheap option but for us it works really well and really helps making off grid camping a joy. In case you have not noticed our T6 is a LWB conversion not a Cali.

Hi

Do you have any photos of the installation of these?

What control panel do you have for the whale heater?

I like those whale heaters as they are mounted beneath the vehicle with a “letterbox” cut in the floor to access drain taps and reset buttons, some other water heaters are designed to be mounted on the floor but in a Cali or similar space is at a premium

I use a twenty five ltr water tank, it has two 1/2 BSP tank connectors fitted, one at the bottom one at the top, fitted into the two inch filling screw top lid ( must be screwed shut with good seal when in use) when the showers were closed at the camp site because of COVID, we filled this tank up with hot water from the washing up sink, (took a couple of minutes), using the factory fitted shower hose with the head removed, it’s connected to the lower connection. Then a second hose, (from screw fix) connected to the top out let and up to the inside of shower tent with spay out let fitted, turn on pump, system will pressurise and you use the shower as needed, when it has finished, put the now cold tank of water back into the internal van cold water tank. I put it on the bike rack with the lower hose pushed into the water fill hole. So it is like a mini hot water cylinder, using the van pump and cold water supply to drive it. Worked really well and we managed to get four people showered with it,
Just don’t put overly hot water in the second tank, but does keep integrity of cold water system intact. No wires to run or pumps to purchase, no putting hot water into the van tank either!

People saying its a lot of faff, but it's simply boiling a kettle, pouring it into the rear tank and using the shower head thats already in the back of the van?.....compared to having to get a separate shower pump thing out, fill that with hot water, erect the shower tent, then empty the remaining after, pack it all away and take down the shower tent after and pack that away? On the face of it just filling a tank with hot water appears quicker.....or am I missing something?

I think you’re including 2 different points here

1 how you technically rig up a shower that is warm/hot

2 how you protect your modesty whilst showering.

Personally, I feel that space is of a premium in a T5/T6 so whatever solution needs to be compact, which is why I don’t favour the Quechua pump up shower or the Kampa geyser water heater, where possible I try to use what I already carry.

My solution was to make up a shower from bits I had kicking around, a 12v submersible pump, linked to a shower hose and head, I boil a kettle and a pan of water, which I tip into a collapsible bucket which I carry anyway, (though I like the idea above of the collapsible water container) top up with cold water to a comfortable temperature, drop the pump in and have a shower. If I’d had to buy all the parts it would be cheaper to buy a camping shower off eBay or the like for about £20, if/when the pump fails replace with a better one.

Currently I power it from a 12 v rechargeable battery (burglar alarm type)which means I can use it anywhere, but the intention is to also have a cigarette lighter plug.

I reckon you need about 5L of water to have a quick shower, which is lot quicker and economical to heat up than the vans 30L tank, it also means you could get water from a river/stream (using the pump and battery if necessary) for your shower and not using all of your onboard water

I thought I'd raised these before but maybe not....

1) The shower attachment is already in the rear of the Cali (an option extra possibly) but is cold water only...hence why I mentioned putting some warm water in the tank and voila...a warm water shower.

2) I'm having the rear hatch awning, so there's already a private space which just happens to be in the area where the rear shower outlet it - hook it up under the hatch and voila - a private (and warm)shower. The toilet will also be going in there...so the area will be used as a shower/toilet.

If you dont mind me asking....how much was your hot water system all fitted?......its something id definitely be interested in as we will quite often be off grid and I do like the idea of having hot water and the ability to have a quick shower.
On price of water heater, I can't give you a precise figure. However, the complete conversion from new LWB 150 T6 DSG Highline to our specification was close to £55k. So this included hot water (including temperature variable shower), underslung LPG -15 litres, flushing toilet, LPG heating, upgraded media to include campervan sat nav, led daylight driving lights, leisure battery, led internal lights, wind out awning, high top, fridge, hob, oven, solar, VW towbar, more storage than we know what to do with, swivel captain seats, crash tested bed (2 singles that fold down to give a full width double), extra sound proofing and insulation - you get the idea. Conversion by an approved VW converter, full VW warranty on vehicle and 3 year on the conversion. I suspect that a fully installed hot water system like ours would be in the range £1500 to £2000 - not cheap as I said. While ours is not a Cali, a Cali does not work for us, we like it better than all the Calis we have tried. Ours will not suit everyone by a long way.
Pictures;
Can see the LPG tank behind the spare wheel (this won't work on a 4 motion), and the water heater is under the the rear nearside passenger seat. Not sure one could put the heater underneath the van as it is likely to freeze in the winter - we go out a lot in the winter.
For the controls, on left is water level, middle gas level and on the right the water control, 2 heat levels on 240v, LPG and a frost stat. Underneath is the shower connection.
If close to Gloucestershire you are welcome to have a look post lockdown.IMG_20201114_144211021.jpgIMG_20201114_144229721.jpgIMG_20201114_144327070.jpgIMG_20201114_160350162.jpg

Lol....and there was me thinking boiling a kettle and pouring it into a tank was simple. Who knew?
In the words of Billy Connolly, “Well you f*!*ing know now” - no offence meant. :)

Seems a lot of faff when you could buy one of these Quechua hand pump showers that isn’t connected to the van and can be used anywhere.

View attachment 69333
This is also great to wash the van, the dog, wash muddy boots, rinse the dishes, take to the beach to wash/rinse sand off and so much more - hot or cold. You can leave it Out in the sun to warm up too and travel with water in it. Packs very small.

I ant recommen these enough. I looked at the limitations of the on-board shower and also wanted something to was the dog down with. Excellent build quality, Great price and great pressure along with good selection of accesoties. Collapz shower

As a"new" Cali owner, having been ankle deep in mud at Carfest , also partaken in The Mongol rally through the "Stans" where water was a premium I have found festival wipes a very useful product for use between shower. They don't take up much space! And will tide one over when wild camper vanning between campsites with showers.

Personally, I feel that space is of a premium in a T5/T6 so whatever solution needs to be compact, which is why I don’t favour the Quechua pump up shower or the Kampa geyser water heater, where possible I try to use what I already carry.

My solution was to make up a shower from bits I had kicking around, a 12v submersible pump, linked to a shower hose and head, I boil a kettle and a pan of water, which I tip into a collapsible bucket which I carry anyway, (though I like the idea above of the collapsible water container) top up with cold water to a comfortable temperature, drop the pump in and have a shower. If I’d had to buy all the parts it would be cheaper to buy a camping shower off eBay or the like for about £20, if/when the pump fails replace with a better one.

Currently I power it from a 12 v rechargeable battery (burglar alarm type)which means I can use it anywhere, but the intention is to also have a cigarette lighter plug.

I reckon you need about 5L of water to have a quick shower, which is lot quicker and economical to heat up than the vans 30L tank, it also means you could get water from a river/stream (using the pump and battery if necessary) for your shower and not using all of your onboard water
Point 1) flick a switch, water heater comes on - hot water in 5 mins. Plug in shower attachment - strip off away you go.

Point 2) two blue tapaulins from Screwfix and 8 strong magnets. Open tailgate attach tapaulins. Takes 3 mins to set up. Cost £20.

OK, so looking at buying a Cali and one of the things that I'd love it to have is a shower.

Obviously one doesn't come with the Cali and if you buy the shower attachment for the rear then its cold water only. But this got me thinking....

Could you not just heat a few kettles of hot water...put that in the water tank that the rear shower attachment feeds from and with the cold water already in there it may be warm enough to have a quick shower? This was my genius idea, but wondering if anyone has tried this, or if there's a reason it cannot be done?

I was thinking then of getting one of those zip around curtain things for the rear hatch to make a private area and voila...a private warm shower!!

Any thoughts....
The Cali only has one 30 litre water tank and the rear shower uses this tank, so you will have to boil a lot of kettles. We use a 10 litre solar shower (never fill it above 5 litres) and add a few kettles to that. Works a treat. We both get a shower and enough water to wash my long hair aswell.

...baring in mind also that pretty much all my stays

Possibly spring but mainly summer....if spring it would be when we go to the South of France/Spain/Portugal.

And just to add...im not looking for a prolonged boiling hot shower....id be literally lathering my pits and bits - then turning on the shower to quickly swill the suds off....only has to be barely warm...just not freezing cold...so I don't think I'd need much boiling water...maybe 2 kettles at most. I think for me it just saves having anything external humping around in the boot, thats the thought anyway...plus we are getting a rear hatch tent which we will be using as the toilet/shower area.

Was just a thought really and wondered if anyone had tried it.

Although we may stop at some camp sites, we will be doing a lot of off grid stops, hence the need for a shower.
Solar shower on roof for spring summer, amazing how warm they get and you can always carefully add warm/hot water if its not been sunny enough. They cost £10 to £20 and take virtually no room up once empty. We paid a few pound extra for current one as it has a easy to use tap adjacent the shower head so you can control the flow rather than waste water.

The Cali has a shower. I don't see anything wrong in wanting to use this for its intended use. If you fill up in the morning and the van is in the sun all day, you can shower in the evening and the water will not be cold. The water in those black bag type solar shower can get very hot, too hot, I don't see anything wrong in adding this hot water, usually 10 litres, to the water already in the tank in order to mixed it and use it from the rear shower...

The Cali has a shower. I don't see anything wrong in wanting to use this for its intended use. If you fill up in the morning and the van is in the sun all day, you can shower in the evening and the water will not be cold. The water in those black bag type solar shower can get very hot, too hot, I don't see anything wrong in adding this hot water, usually 10 litres, to the water already in the tank in order to mixed it and use it from the rear shower...

This is a great idea and saves boiling the water and the gas to do so. As you say, the Cali has a shower so why not use it. Its easy to create a private area with a hatch awning and that happens to be exactly where the shower is.

What did we do before showers became so common?
What do hospital patients do who can’t use showers?

3 F’s.
Strip wash with a flannel, bucket and cup or watering can. Can’t beat a nice shower though if you’re away for a while and have an awning with you. Mine packs almost flat and is as easy to fill as a bowl for a strip wash.

A shower’s also really useful if you have a dog who’s favourite pastime is rolling in fox poo. Just count yourself lucky if yours doesn’t.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
What did we do before showers became so common?
What do hospital patients do who can’t use showers?

3 F’s.
I use bed bath wipes, nice and easy.

When in Argentina towards the end of our epic journey with our Cali, we came across a fellow Cali Pan-Am(er) who had a black bag for a reasonable amount of water and upon stopping at a campsite put said bag straight on top of the engine and that produced the required warm water for a shower. A very resourceful chap with an extensive record of Paris-Dakar rallies etc.
Simple is good!

When in Argentina towards the end of our epic journey with our Cali, we came across a fellow Cali Pan-Am(er) who had a black bag for a reasonable amount of water and upon stopping at a campsite put said bag straight on top of the engine and that produced the required warm water for a shower. A very resourceful chap with an extensive record of Paris-Dakar rallies etc.
Simple is good!

This is looking favourite for me now (well, the solar heated bags)...but when the water is hot, ill try pouring it in the tank and hopefully it'll be warm enough for a shower through the rear shower attachment. If not I will just use the little shower attachment that comes with the bags themselves and hang it off the rear hatch.

When we did our three weeks trip in Norway a few years ago we frequent stopped at the free public toilets you find a lot there , well maintaint and clean ! And on top in almost every of them there came warm water out of the tap when washing your hands. The second or thirth time i've noticed this i got back in the Cali to get my thermos flask and filled it ....so as we did use free aires a lot in Norway we had always some hot water ready to wash up the disches after lunch/dinner .
Such a (black) waterbag as mentiont above i used pre-Cali time when camping on top of our Defender in a Hannibal tent.
Took the bag with us in the Cali at early stages but never used it , sometimes when packing for a trip i trow it in but not used it anymore ...good idea to put it on top of the engine when arriving , but watch out : melting the thing would be messy .

Back