Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some favourite accessories

Actually, we very nearly bought a Cali, and enjoyed the 4 nights we spent in a rented one. But in the end the Nexa layout worked better for us, and my wife, who's in charge of all things culinary, preferred a kitchen that was more designed for standing up.

IMG_0538.jpg

There are some things we miss from the Cali - the table and chair storage, the better glazing, and of course, we don't have a boot!

But there are a couple of things we've also really come to appreciate about the Nexa since owning it: having the tailgate always available as a door (with a porch!); the roof being amazingly quick to raise and lower, and the fact we can walk from the tailgate to the dashboard if we want to, even when the beds are down. And the chef can still use the kitchen when I'm in bed :)

So I think the Nexa was the right decision for us personally, but I'm still a California fan!

I've just made a slight update to the original post as we discovered this weekend that the Aquasorb towels that we used first on the dog, then on us, are absolutely the best thing for removing condensation from windows too.

We now have four of them in the van, each with a different role :)

As we head into winter, I would also now add our nice new thermal topper and silver screen windscreen cover as vital accessories, of course!

Thanks, I've just ordered the large Aquasorb towel :)

I think we'll end up buying the Outwell collapsable wash set as well as that looks very useful.

Thank you Quentin, really useful. Our Cali arrives next week so lists like this are brilliant.

Hi all
I have not ordered any accessories for my new T6 Ocean. I am looking at a drive away awning and also a 2 bike rack. I would be eternally grateful for your suggestions which suppliers to go with.
Thanks
Dave

Hi all
I have not ordered any accessories for my new T6 Ocean. I am looking at a drive away awning and also a 2 bike rack. I would be eternally grateful for your suggestions which suppliers to go with.
Thanks
Dave

If I knew then what I know now, I’d have bought a separate gazebo, not a driveaway awning.

We used our driveaway awning a lot during our year touring Europe: it was probably used 250 days out of 375 days away, usually attached to a fully or partially extended wind out awning.
3842b41c14d7870ccf73d7deb8c6741d.jpg

But - the faff of connecting the awning to the van is not worth the benefit of the physical connection.

Also - driving away from and returning to a driveaway awning is not trivial.

And - don’t think it will be leak free in rain. It won’t. The figure of 8s come in three sections and it will drip between the sections. I tried blue tack to fix this, but no success.

Instead, if or when I replace our well used driveaway awning, it will be with a stand alone gazebo. If I want that connected feel I simply wind out the canopy to the door of the gazebo. I might even fit a panel or two to the canopy for privacy between van and gazebo.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Absolutely spot on. We have a Khyam motordome sleeper which we got before we bought a Cali' Having wrestled with the ridiculous awning connection a few times, we now set it up as shown in your photo. I am actually contemplating cutting off the 'awning connection' bit because it's such a pain in the backside and is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. It's much easier to just wind in the 'roll out' and leave the Khyam in situ' if we go off for the day too. If we attach the comfortz awning sides we end up with a 2 bedroomed bungalow. The Khyam is a bit big for us now, but it is a really good tent and very weatherproof.

We have a Galli which is great for staying put for a week with 2 children but beginning to think it is a bit big for most trips! We now have a quechu base seconds too which in hindsight will probably be all we need.

I have found with the Thule/VW awning that I don't seem to get a leak at the joins in the figure of 8 but when attached to the awning it works slightly better if it isn't quite wound in all the way but rather is out by a few cm. this allows the sliding door to clear the plastic kador figure of 8 and then the (only small) drips, clear the door as the awning is out far enough to stop it, plus the slope on the cap/cover of the awning tends to shed the water onto the canvas rather than the kador.
It does take a few minutes extra to set up on arrival but with the figure of 8 and a bright orange Guy line parallel with the side of the van at the wheel centres it normally takes about 2-3 minutes to set up on arriving back. Just have to remember to swivel the drivers seat before attaching as you can't open the door easily afterwards. (Also fold up the mirrors. I am just the right height that if I 'duck out' of the tunnel door and haven't I smack my head on them :headbang ) We use the tunnel for the loo (small boys with variable aim) and find it being enclosed useful!

I like your set up though @Amarillo and reduces the risk of running tent pegs over, I think the wife would find it too drafty but at least the 'loo-view' would be good:D

IMG_6531.JPG

+1 for the Quechua pop up tents, brill accessory for the Cali.

If I knew then what I know now, I’d have bought a separate gazebo, not a driveaway awning.

We used our driveaway awning a lot during our year touring Europe: it was probably used 250 days out of 375 days away, usually attached to a fully or partially extended wind out awning.

But - the faff of connecting the awning to the van is not worth the benefit of the physical connection.

And - don’t think it will be leak free in rain. It won’t. The figure of 8s come in three sections and it will drip between the sections. I tried blue tack to fix this, but no success.

Instead, if or when I replace our well used driveaway awning, it will be with a stand alone gazebo. If I want that connected feel I simply wind out the canopy to the door of the gazebo. I might even fit a panel or two to the canopy for privacy between van and gazebo.

Hi, thanks for this. Does the picture show your existing drive away awning but attached to the wind out awning instead of using it attached directly to the van? Or is it your 'new' Gazebo?

I also like the cover for the pop top roof. Its doesn't look east to fix or is is designed to saty on when roof is down for driving?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for this. Does the picture show your existing drive away awning but attached to the wind out awning instead of using it attached directly to the van? Or is it your 'new' Gazebo?
@Amarillo is a drive away with the wind out awning attached to it, but fully extended, rather than close coupled.
My photo above is close coupled but still attached to the same rail in the wind out awning.

I also like the cover for the pop top roof. Its doesn't look east to fix or is is designed to saty on when roof is down for driving?
Roof Topper has to be removed when driving. @Amarillo is an expert at putting it on single handed.:thumb

This is the Open version for roof bars, roof box or Solar Panels.

It is our driveaway attached to the wind out. We don't have a gazebo - yet. However, we do have a Thule G3 Residence which turns the wind out into a safari room. Not my photo -
1280x948.jpeg

Excellent for a few days if not driving away.

It is our driveaway attached to the wind out. We don't have a gazebo - yet. However, we do have a Thule G3 Residence which turns the wind out into a safari room. Not my photo -
1280x948.jpeg

Thanks Amarillo, your posts are really helpful. Am learning and this gives me options to consider. I like this Thule G3 thing, does it take long to set up on the wind out? Any link to purchase options wd be great thanks. Roof topper - yes, checked the shop and seen the video how to fit it, but don't think wor lass will be much help as she ain't very tall!!

The topper is one single piece which fits front to back with the roof slightly raised. It velcros together at the back. Once loosely fitted fully raise the roof and tighten any straps. Five minutes to fit single handed with practise. Stores with the chairs in the tailagate.

Here's a photo shoot of the fitting:
IMG_0926 (1).JPG IMG_0928 (1).JPG IMG_0929 (1).JPG IMG_0930 (1).JPG IMG_0932 (1).JPG IMG_0933 (1).JPG IMG_0935 (1).JPG IMG_0939 (1).JPG

Thanks Amarillo, your posts are really helpful. Am learning and this gives me options to consider. I like this Thule G3 thing, does it take long to set up on the wind out? Any link to purchase options wd be great thanks. Roof topper - yes, checked the shop and seen the video how to fit it, but don't think wor lass will be much help as she ain't very tall!!
The G3 is very expensive and a real faff to set up. Having said that, it is a quality and robust piece of kit. It is bulky but we have found a fairly compact way to pack it.IMG_2054.JPG

The Thule website gives more information - it is worth reading the user manual.
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/motorhome-accessories/tents/thule-residence-g3-_-thule-residence-g3

1280x948.jpeg

Hi again

To fit this do you need a Thule wind out awning or will the VW supplied one be OK?

Back