Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

7 campervan accessories we wouldn’t be without

Is it comfortable to sit in?
I have the Lafuma pop ups
Lafuma deckchairs - can fit on the Beach rear shelf but not the Ocean and are great for camping and garden use :cool:

I have none of the 7 items listed..

IMG_3413.jpeg

Morsels - the chairs looking interesting. I especially like the fact that they fit into the chair compartment instead of the original VW ones. Which model are they? They look like the 'Tactical Sunset' ones - https://helinox.eu/collections/all-chairs/products/sunset-chair-home-hdb?variant=46761930654033.
I had a chance to sit in the Helinox Sunset. Seat is too high off the ground for me so suits someone over 5'8". I'm 5'7" and the lip of the fabric dug into my thigh making it quite uncomfortable. I will order the Chair Two. Solidly made and surprisingly lightweight.
Another point to note is the feet are very pointy so some sort of ball ending to spread the weight on soft ground is probably obligatory. They sell some fancy vibram rubber feet but 4 tennis balls might serve equally well.

Yes to the GYBE Bus Tent. Awesome awning while allowing full access to front and sliding door. Just be careful (and gentle) with the zip that attaches the "tent" part to the "fusion" panel.

We'd also not be without our single 100w solar panel and the revised leisure electrics based on a single 110Ah Ecotree lithium battery and Victron controllers with Bluetooth monitor app. That was a game-changer for us. Start every day with 100% charge, regardless of the weather.

Cadac Safari Chef 3 driven via an external gas connector and a 10m hose augenting the internal hob allowing us to cook outdoors among the others rather than be separated within the van.

I had a chance to sit in the Helinox Sunset. Seat is too high off the ground for me so suits someone over 5'8". I'm 5'7" and the lip of the fabric dug into my thigh making it quite uncomfortable. I will order the Chair Two. Solidly made and surprisingly lightweight.
Another point to note is the feet are very pointy so some sort of ball ending to spread the weight on soft ground is probably obligatory. They sell some fancy vibram rubber feet but 4 tennis balls might serve equally well.
My photo in #22 above shows the soft ground accessory, which I agree may well prove necessary on sand etc.

Yes to the GYBE Bus Tent. Awesome awning while allowing full access to front and sliding door. Just be careful (and gentle) with the zip that attaches the "tent" part to the "fusion" panel.

We'd also not be without our single 100w solar panel and the revised leisure electrics based on a single 110Ah Ecotree lithium battery and Victron controllers with Bluetooth monitor app. That was a game-changer for us. Start every day with 100% charge, regardless of the weather.

Cadac Safari Chef 3 driven via an external gas connector and a 10m hose augenting the internal hob allowing us to cook outdoors among the others rather than be separated within the van.
Agree with being careful with the zip, it’s pretty easy to snag it

I have none of those. Here's my 7. Cadac that runs of en417 gas. Awning side panel. Fire pit and wood. Popaloo for festivals( it will be used at busfest) . Few slabs of beer. Some burgers. There. That's my 7. Oh, one of those big Moroccan mats

Do they fit in the tailgate chairs whilst inside their bags?

Having spent over 6 months in our 6.1 Ocean van since 2020, I thought I’d take a look around me (we’re at a site in Venice as I write) and share some of the accessories we wouldn’t be without.

Each of these has had to earn its place and we are strict with what makes it into the van for our extended trips each summer, so I can completely recommend each and every one of them.

7 Campervan Accessories We Love

Hope someone finds this useful!
Love the Nebula. It’s really saved some wet evenings, just projecting from the bench table onto the blind behind the gas burners

I just bought Helinox Sunset Tactical with both the Helinox foam/air headset and the Helinox mesh soft ground base as extras. Pretty expensive all together but a great piece of kit if you can live with the cost:

View attachment 112488

I'm actually going to check out some Helinox chairs now. Can't decide if I prefer the lower Chair Two or the taller Sunset design. I want a comfortable functional headrest too. The new HDB 1200 denier canvas is probably the line I will get once I decide on the model.
We bought these Trespass chairs, which are similar and considerably cheaper. They are comfortable and easy to put together and pack small.:

Love the Nebula. It’s really saved some wet evenings, just projecting from the bench table onto the blind behind the gas burners
Agreed, it’s a quality device - a lot of fun with the kids before bed each evening

I have none of those. Here's my 7. Cadac that runs of en417 gas. Awning side panel. Fire pit and wood. Popaloo for festivals( it will be used at busfest) . Few slabs of beer. Some burgers. There. That's my 7. Oh, one of those big Moroccan mats
Lovely list

Cadac or Cobb

I would say bottle opener/ corkscrew as others have mentioned but that falls into basic essentials, not accessories :shocked

Linen tea towels with upmarket tourist destinations on them. So delightful to casually open the draw and pull out "X Museum"... "Y Museum" ...."Stunning lakeland views".... etc.

"Goodness, you are such veteran travellers, been to all these places "..... "oh! Just wandering around!!" .. ( as in online on Amazon).....

Hmm, the 7 things we cannot do without are...
- Travel AeroPress. Gotta have that morning coffee
- The fabled Oxo dustpan and brush. We are not animals.
- Our Cadac. Versatile, small, pain in the ass to clean.
- Clothes cubes, we have two each, throw, literally, into the cupboard
- The duvalay. It's far too big rolled up but you can fold into three and it works well.
- Small bin that sits behind the passenger seat
- Felt seperaters for the plates - I hate a single clank from behind when driving

Other bits come in and out depending on the trip.

Bonus bits not "Cali" accessories:
- Eye masks and earplugs. Old bellows. Radiates light from 5am!
- My pocket knife. Useful for a million jobs around the van. And scaring white whale owners.

Last edited:
Hmm, the 7 things we cannot do without are...
- Travel AeroPress. Gotta have that morning coffee
- The fabled Oxo dustpan and brush. We are not animals.
- Our Cadac. Versatile, small, pain in the ass to clean.
- Clothes cubes, we have two each, throw, literally, into the cupboard
- The duvalay. It's far too big rolled up but you can fold into three and it works well.
- Small bin that sits behind the passenger seat
- Felt seperaters for the plates - I hate a single clank from behind when driving

Other bits come in and out depending on the trip.

Bonus bits not "Cali" accessories:
- Eye masks and earplugs. Old bellows. Radiates light from 5am!
- My pocket knife. Useful for a million jobs around the van. And scaring white whale owners.
That’s not a knife….

IMG_1410.jpeg

Cadac safari chef 2, I find it cleans well with the cadac brush and hot water only.
Jetboil with Mocha pot adapter/ Mocha pot.
Small double mattress topper.
Porta Potti 335.
Waiters friend.
Clothes cubes.
Alcohol.

We have a 2.5l one which is good for 2 kids/2 adults, I find 3/4 full is ok, just release the pressure slowly to prevent overspills (our WML one has variable pressure release). Catherine Phipps’s book on modern pressure cooking is very good for ideas.
@Morsels
Thanks for the tip. Can you elaborate about the difference between the 2.5 litre version and the 4.5 litre pressure cooker of WMF? We are just two persons traveling in the Cali.

On your website I only read about the 4.5 litre one.

Can we cook a full or two half chicken in the 2.5 litre version?

Is it possible to store the plastic handle in the pan without rattle?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

The 2.5 is pretty small, but I prefer small pots on the vw cooker. For home use we use the 4.5. Not tried but handle probably won’t fit in the pot.
@Morsels
Thanks for the tip. Can you elaborate about the difference between the 2.5 litre version and the 4.5 litre pressure cooker of WMF? We are just two persons traveling in the Cali.

On your website I only read about the 4.5 litre one.

Can we cook a full or two half chicken in the 2.5 litre version?

Is it possible to store the plastic handle in the pan without rattle?

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

We have amassed a lot of various Cali accessories which we use from time to time. We take the "Thunderbirds" approach to camping in that most of these items are stored elsewhere and are individually chosen to suit the nature of the mission we are about to take. For this reason none can really be described as "Accessories we wouldn't be without".

If the task is to highlight items that always find their way into the back of our van then this would be as follows:
1. Carrier bag with current knitting project and knitting needles. ( Do not kick however frustrated you may become as puncture wounds WILL result).
2. Carrier bag with future knitting project just in case item 1. gets completed.
3. Carrier bag containing spare wool and other essential hobby items. (The wool is perfect for rolling around the footwell and turning the driver's feet and pedals into a cat's craddle).
4. Carrier bag for charity shop visits for jigsaw puzzles and knitting needles to replace those that have been lost in cafés etc and/or down the back of the seats.
5. Carrier bag for food shopping, usually Sainsburys. (Always buy more than you can possible eat on one trip). If you use the standard supermarket carrier bags this ensures that the contents re-distribute themselves nicely around the re compartment on the first bend.
6. Carrier bag for food shopping. As above.
7. Carrier bag for food shopping. As above.

You may be forgiven for thinking that perhaps I don't welcome these "essential" constant travelling companions. Well, all I can say is that as a Quartermistress, Mrs B is second to none and unless she has got something to occupy herself she goes all critical, hands and brain needing constant exercise. Being a bloke this isn't something that has ever troubled me!

Last edited:
1. Carrier bag with current knitting project and knitting needles. ( Do not kick however frustrated you may become as puncture wounds WILL result).
2. Carrier bag with future knitting project just in case item 1. gets completed.
3. Carrier bag containing spare wool and other essential hobby items. (The wool is perfect for rolling around the footwell and turning the driver's feet and pedals into a cat's craddle).
4. Carrier bag for charity shop visits for jigsaw puzzles and knitting needles to replace those that have been lost in cafés etc and/or down the back of the seats.
5. Carrier bag for food shopping, usually Sainsburys. (Always buy more than you can possible eat on one trip). If you use the standard supermarket carrier bags this ensures that the contents re-distribute themselves nicely around the re compartment on the first bend.
Borris - do you not have a Carrier bag to keep the Carrier bags in?

OK, I'll bite. Probably varies depending how long we're away, and whether we have hook-up or not, but I'm going to assume a long stay with EHU:
  1. Vanessa window bags - such a great idea to use otherwise wasted space.
  2. Cadac Safari Chef 2 - BBQ + stove + pizza oven.
  3. Vango induction hub - cooking in the van / awning without any gas is nice, quick and clean
  4. Electric kettle - quick and easy cups of tea.
  5. Delonda 50l fridge - it's a beast but just fits under the multiflex on the Beach, and can have one compartment as a freezer to bring ice cream home.
  6. Home made shoebox on the step - brings the 12v socket to a useable place, has USB charging points and somewhere to put shoes near the door.
  7. Grünthal 'cutting board' that clips into the rail inside the Beach - great as a 'coffee table' and at night to pop phones etc on.
Things that nearly made it - one of our external shelter solutions (wind-out awing sides, poled awning, Cinch pop-up) for extra living space, Maxxcamp sink/storage unit (a luxury but nice to have) and the portapotti (hardly used ever, and even less now the kids are older).

We have amassed a lot of various Cali accessories which we use from time to time. We take the "Thunderbirds" approach to camping in that most of these items are stored elsewhere and are individually chosen to suit the nature of the mission we are about to take. For this reason none can really be described as "Accessories we wouldn't be without".

If the task is to highlight items that always find their way into the back of our van then this would be as follows:

You may be forgiven for thinking that perhaps I don't welcome these "essential" constant travelling companions. Well, all I can say is that as a Quartermistress, Mrs B is second to none and unless she has got something to occupy herself she goes all critical, hands and brain needing constant exercise. Being a bloke this isn't something that has ever troubled me!
We’ve ended up doing the same, packing what we need trip-by-trip. It’s part of the fun!

Back