Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SORN for the winter...???

C

choplee

Guest User
I know this happens a lot with the older vw buses & cars and we do have some in my local vw club that SORN for the winter months till show season starts again.... I never have done it myself and i've had afew older buses in my time ... I wouldn't even dream about packing my Cali away till spring next year ,as it's not that kind of vehicle in my eyes.
Would you or do you put your Cali to bed when it's cold and wet.. :?: :?: :?: :shocked

If I put my Cali away in the winter the kids would not get to school and I wouldn't eat :rofl :rofl :rofl good question lee :thumb

VW Cali's are for all year use...not just for show season .... :doh :headwall :doh

Mine was Sorn last year as we did not plan to use it for Jan Feb and Mar but we do have two other cars. :thumb

Easy to do and saved me the road Tax for 3 months. But you do have to dry store the foam mattresses in your house and keep the batteries charged every month.

John

over the winter months john with my bay and t25's ,as they didn't get used as much as the cali will over the winter was to have an oil filled radiator set on low in the bus to keep the condensation down to a minimum .
Those old buses used to get just as wet inside as outside ... :laugh2

We probably should sorn ours but haven't done yet. We only use it for camping so it spends a lot of time sat on the drive particularly in the winter when we never seem to get out in it.
I'm sure that's why i had to replace the tyres recently, looked like new tread wise but had all cracked.
If it wasn't for the residuals we would probably had have to sell it before now.
I keep saying it but we're going to have to find more time to use it somehow.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cool .... It's good to her about Cali's how they are used and what for and when :) .... Some are for just camping ,show season and others as only car daily drivers or as the family car with little car for the trip to the post office etc ....we do have other vehicles but the Cali will get used all-year round ,just not quite as much in winter :)

How much is the road tax, £220/Year??

SORN for 3 months, assuming it was 3 full months is going to give you a £55 return. Doesn't seem worth it IMHO. For £55 I'd keep the flexibility of using it whenever, even just for a day out.

I'm with you stu ... I like the flexibility of just jumping in the Cali at any time I wanted to :) .....

We're using the Cali all the time - it's SO handy as a daily driver!

The other car (which shall remain un-named) is getting less and less use but is still the better car for a longish work trip.

SORNing a Cali is quite simply...

...WRONG!

The Tax Man has taken plenty of my dole

Its £55 that he is not getting. :D :clap

John

John said:
The Tax Man has taken plenty of my dole

Its £55 that he is not getting. :D :clap

John

i hear you john if it's not being used then get some cash back ....i did it on my old buses ;)

We live in Canada and store our Cali in the UK when we are not over touring Europe with it (it is left hand drive). We store it at an indoor climate controlled facility, out the van on axle stands and plug all the batteries in. Recently picked it up and put it back on the road with no issues at all after it was in storage for 10 months.

I declared SORN and cashed in the tax disc. No issues as when you go back to tax it (with valid MOT and insurance) the SORN comes off automatically.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Back