Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Southport - Claridges body centre

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hope the forum does not mind this new post in relation to Cali roof repairs as I didn't want it to get lost in the very long 'general' thread

It transpires that our Cali has been moved on to the list at Claridges for roof repair work, on the basis that they could do it sooner than the company who were going to do the work.

VWCS advise me that Claridges are one of the 'new' bodycentres which have been fully trained to carry out these repairs to reduce waiting times.

Has anyone else had their Cali roof repaired by Claridges? If so, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Whilst my concerns may prove unfounded, I'm not sure how I feel about entrusting this work to a company without the same experience as the original three, and who are not directly linked to a VW dealer.

Who warrants the roof work undertaken? The guy at VWCS said that the work was not warranted as it was a goodwill gesture?

Thanks

The roof repair definitely is covered by a warrantee. There have been long conversations and lots letters written to VWUK about this.

VWCS seem to make things up as they go along!

Alan

Thanks Alan
Does not inspire me that no-one seems to have come across them

Originally 2 years ago, there were just 4 repair shops trained to do this work. The queue was so long it was taking an age to get the work done.

I did hear that VWUK were getting some more workshops involved but that was some time ago. They have to be trained up by VW in Germany and fitted out with 2 x loan vans and some special kit. So that will take a little time.

Alan

Assuming you are outside of the extended 6 year warranty provided by VWCS for the roof issue, then the bodyshop should provide a warranty on the repair, usually two years, but this may only be for paintwork.

OK, just spoken with Claridges. They have done 1 repair so far (having completed training at the end of last year) and have 5 further Calis booked in ahead of me. The lady I spoke with was very unsure of the warranty position (and admitted it) but she thought that once out of the 6 year period, the only warranty is over defective workmanship.

I need to talk to the other bodyshop before I make a decision, but interested to hear thoughts from other members - do I go with Claridges, who will have done 6 by the time mine goes in, or wait for Shorade, who will have done many more?

Thanks in advance

Shorade currently have about 130 on their list.

Paint is guaranteed for 3 years as standard, and the roof repair extended for a further 3 years from the date of repair. Workmanship is guaranteed for 3 years as standard.

Attached is a .pdf of the definitive letter from VWUK.

My van went through the process with Breeze and they issued the warrantee after the work was completed by Heritage in Warminster.

Alan

Attachments

• VWCORLET.pdf
    947.3 KB · Views: 38
Hi. We've just had our van through with Claridges for the roof repair. We got a call from them to say that a slot had opened up and so we decided that now was as good a time as any. They had already done 10 as well as all the training undertaken in Germany. All went very smoothly, the AA arrived on the designated day at about the right time to collect Rose with a proper recovery truck. Replacement car was delivered beforehand without any problems as VWCS didn't have a California but that didn't bother us. The repair took two weeks and then delivered back safe and sound by the AA relay team.

Repair looks very good and everything restored as before. The roof canvas has been replaced with a new one so came back with new car smell and all! Claridges even gave her a full clean down outside and blacked wheels to boot. We are very happy with the process. Claridges were very helpful to keep us updated with progress and helped ensure that we had her back in time for our weekend away on the 3rd. Claridges were also happy to have a look at the same time at some paint work on the bonnet that was bothering me.:thumb