Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Repair Question

That cap was a try out solution until they saw the light. 2 clear stickers on the front spoiler under the roof seal will stop the corrosion on the outside of the spoiler?

If someone finds a decent solution, don't hesitate to tell us.

They should find a sort of primer to protect the aluminium from corroding from the outside and inside.

Apparently this is VW 2nd attempt at fixing the roof problems, the first I heard was leaving original front panel in place and taking paint off then they used a so called 'special primer ' before adding final paint finish to match vehicle but the problem came back with paint bubbles..
( Aluminium and steel together don't mix )
So they then came up with the poly cap idea as i think was due to expensive costs of repairs. I came across somewhere it was running at around 4K for the repairs (not sure accounting for transporter and hiring out vehicles ? )
On last service the dealer said there was a recall and while mine was in they fitted a plastic strip under the rubber seal before rubber touches the roof..
( The rubber has a steel wire insert )
I think i know where the water is coming in, so am going to try Sikaflex 512...
Hope some time in the future I can let you all no if successful...
For now thanks to all for the help on this topic...

Apparently this is VW 2nd attempt at fixing the roof problems, the first I heard was leaving original front panel in place and taking paint off then they used a so called 'special primer ' before adding final paint finish to match vehicle but the problem came back with paint bubbles..
( Aluminium and steel together don't mix )
So they then came up with the poly cap idea as i think was due to expensive costs of repairs. I came across somewhere it was running at around 4K for the repairs (not sure accounting for transporter and hiring out vehicles ? )
On last service the dealer said there was a recall and while mine was in they fitted a plastic strip under the rubber seal before rubber touches the roof..
( The rubber has a steel wire insert )
I think i know where the water is coming in, so am going to try Sikaflex 512...
Hope some time in the future I can let you all no if successful...
For now thanks to all for the help on this topic...
@Vantastic2 did you eventually seal the cowl leak?

@Vantastic2 did you eventually seal the cowl leak?
So far so good at time no water leak, but not had a chance in hell to check since last Sunday (20th Sept 20 ) as was involved in a RTA when a car went through red traffic lights doing between 30mph and 40 mph )into the side of our Cali so water coming in now with split side ,will be posting on here about it.

So far so good at time no water leak, but not had a chance in hell to check since last Sunday (20th Sept 20 ) as was involved in a RTA when a car went through red traffic lights doing between 30mph and 40 mph )into the side of our Cali so water coming in now with split side ,will be posting on here about it.
Ouch, that's bad luck, hope your Cali gets repaired OK.
Where did you find the cowl leak coming from and how did you seal it? Any pictures?

Ouch, that's bad luck, hope your Cali gets repaired OK.
Where did you find the cowl leak coming from and how did you seal it? Any pictures?
Thanks re : Accident have now put story on the general chat . Wifey edited my story LOL !
Sorry ,haven't taken any pictures of what I managed to do, but the Poly cap that was fitted came apart mainly half way at the rear of cap and lifted a bit on driver side. I managed to ' pump ' Black Sikaflex 3 in one into the gap only at rear, it fixed very well after I applied hand pressure on cap for approx 5 mins until I could feel it bonding, the side would have to have that rail fixing removed so didn't attempt taking rail end bit off so managed to get the Sikaflex between rail and cap.