Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spain in April

Not all but almost every camping is open

And it’s legal to sleep in the van (pernoctar) as they told you. You will find several spots where the people take out table and chairs…it’s up to you to take the risk (it’s super forbidden)

If you’re going to be in the north..check gran camping zarautz ! (Close to San Sebastián )

If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's private land.
There is an Aire next to the large car park. In all the years we have stayed there nobody stays actually on the Aire as it’s not very flat.
All land is private land wether a private individual or the local council.
Police cars often come by but never stop or move anybody on.
I don’t think the locals who visit on Sunday with their families for a BBQ would appreciate being moved on. Anyway we will be back in September on our way To Santander.

There is an Aire next to the large car park. In all the years we have stayed there nobody stays actually on the Aire as it’s not very flat.
All land is private land wether a private individual or the local council.
Police cars often come by but never stop or move anybody on.
I don’t think the locals who visit on Sunday with their families for a BBQ would appreciate being moved on. Anyway we will be back in September on our way To Santander.
aye that’s what i meant, private and probably belongs to the safari park, so camping is permitted by them. Not the same as pitching up aside a public road.

Aires are owned by the local councils for the benefit of tourists.
Yes I don’t think anyone is disputing that. The OP asked if they could wild camp (acampada libre) so just clearing up where that can and can’t be done. Municipal aires, permitted private land etc, yes. Public highway yes if respecting the legislation on not extending the perimeter of the van. National park land: see signage but probably no.

One top tip is look out for ermitas/hermitages. Generally atop hills overlooking a town and often with a parking and picnic area that can be great places to stay

We’ve just returned from 40 nights in Spain. We used a mixture of the park4night, searchforsites and the ACSI (CC) apps. The latter has a date filter and searchforsites has an open all year filter. We found campsites were open in all major cities and on the coast south of Valencia and more of an issue was that many were full, so book ahead if you can or have a good plan B e.g. we failed to get in anywhere near Malaga so skipped it and went straight to Granada but only got in there because we had a small van for the last available small space.

Many many years ago in the late 1960s me and a pal did a grand tour in my ford anglia. We managed to get to Italy and after driving all day we were very tired. We stopped by a nice bit of greenery and pitched our 1960s tent. Woke up the next morning on a traffic island. Luckily it was a Sunday so not a lot of traffic. Tent came down in record time.

Cabarceno Aire right next to the wildlife park. Truely an experience. And free.FC715697-3519-4F29-A7E9-BD19551A8E2C.jpeg

We’ve just returned from 40 nights in Spain. We used a mixture of the park4night, searchforsites and the ACSI (CC) apps. The latter has a date filter and searchforsites has an open all year filter. We found campsites were open in all major cities and on the coast south of Valencia and more of an issue was that many were full, so book ahead if you can or have a good plan B e.g. we failed to get in anywhere near Malaga so skipped it and went straight to Granada but only got in there because we had a small van for the last available small space.

As it has rained almost all of March in parts of Spain. Do you have solar panels and how effective were they?

As it has rained almost all of March in parts of Spain. Do you have solar panels and how effective were they?
No I haven't fitted it the panel. Luckily, it just started raining in Calpe on our last morning but cleared by the time we'd got up to Logrono. Sounds like it's been biblical and with the Saharan dust as well.

No I haven't fitted it the panel. Luckily, it just started raining in Calpe on our last morning but cleared by the time we'd got up to Logrono. Sounds like it's been biblical and with the Saharan dust as well.
You were luckily it is still raining. It rained the day me arrived, road was like a river and has hardly stopped for the last 2 weeks and is going to rain all this week. Temperature too is low 11c this morning. I am pleased I am in an apartment but not been able to ride our bikes.

Back