Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare Wheel Carrier Kits for People with 18" Alloys

CampervanBits

CampervanBits

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
N/A
You may or may not be aware that if you are running 18" alloys on your Cali from new you will not have a spare wheel, the alternative is that VW supplies is a temporary repair tyre sealant, the big downside of this sealant is it will make the tyre beyond repair, meaning if you have just a small punture that could be repaired you will still need a new tyre.

As requested on many occasions we have now put together a spare wheel carrier kit for the California.

This fits both the T5 and T6 and is 100% genuine Volkswagen parts.

Available for both 16" and 17" however if you have 18" wheels fitted to your van you will require the 17" version.

We are unable to supply the spare wheels themselves but a tip before buying one is to try your local VW Commercial dealer who may well have second hand ones available.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/spare-wheel-carrier-kit-vw-t5-t6

Plenty of 17/16" steel wheels on eBay. :D:D:D

Wonder where they came from - probably Legoland.

Don't forget - if you want to keep your new Spare Wheel then investing in the SPARESAFE and Security Bolt as sold in the Forum shop is one way of doing it. It is amazing how many Spare Wheels go walkabout.

Has anyone actually driven with a 17” spare on the road with 18” alloys?

Has anyone actually driven with a 17” spare on the road with 18” alloys?
Not on a T5/6 but used a Compact spare on other vehicles. As long as speed is reduced and care taken, then no problem. Will certainly get you home or to the nearest tyre fitter.

Not on a T5/6 but used a Compact spare on other vehicles. As long as speed is reduced and care taken, then no problem. Will certainly get you home or to the nearest tyre fitter.
Didn’t want to actually buy the hanger and spare, carry it round for thousands of miles then find it didn’t work on some cold wet night!

OK I’ve now fitted the hanger, it doesn’t come with any instructions but it’s not rocket science. For anyone fitting one, the bolt with the clip on the end goes on the left hand side, before you fit it make sure that you have put the spacer on first; because when you put it in, the clip makes it a captive bolt and you can’t get get it out again! (Guess who found out the hard way :headbang)

There is a pin which holds the forward end in place, there is no clip to hold it in so I just bent the end that protrudes at right angles using a pair of pliers.

Once the hanger is secured at the front end, and the left hand bolt is in place, slide the wheel up the carrier and then lift the whole assembly so the head of the LH bolt goes through the “keyhole” and then slide it into the recess where it will take the weight. The other bolt (or your sparesaver security device) can then be screwed up and the whole thing tightened.

Mine was quite a tight fit but it did go in. Before I fitted the wheel I wrapped it in industrial cling film to keep it clean, I hope water doesn’t get trapped inside.

I must say, this is not a job I would fancy doing at the roadside in an emergency, there is not much space underneath particularly if you have the tow bracket and electrics fitted. I put the rear wheels on to the levelling ramps to lift the back end. Try doing that with a flat tyre! :confused: I hope I never have to use it!

OK I’ve now fitted the hanger, it doesn’t come with any instructions but it’s not rocket science. For anyone fitting one, the bolt with the clip on the end goes on the left hand side, before you fit it make sure that you have put the spacer on first; because when you put it in, the clip makes it a captive bolt and you can’t get get it out again! (Guess who found out the hard way :headbang)

There is a pin which holds the forward end in place, there is no clip to hold it in so I just bent the end that protrudes at right angles using a pair of pliers.

Once the hanger is secured at the front end, and the left hand bolt is in place, slide the wheel up the carrier and then lift the whole assembly so the head of the LH bolt goes through the “keyhole” and then slide it into the recess where it will take the weight. The other bolt (or your sparesaver security device) can then be screwed up and the whole thing tightened.

Mine was quite a tight fit but it did go in. Before I fitted the wheel I wrapped it in industrial cling film to keep it clean, I hope water doesn’t get trapped inside.

I must say, this is not a job I would fancy doing at the roadside in an emergency, there is not much space underneath particularly if you have the tow bracket and electrics fitted. I put the rear wheels on to the levelling ramps to lift the back end. Try doing that with a flat tyre! :confused: I hope I never have to use it!
Personally I don’t think wrapping it in Cling Film is a good idea. May keep it clean but will promote rust and corrosion.
When I removed my steel Spare wheel after 3.5 years And 65,000 miles I was amazed how clean it was, but there was some corrosion, not much, around the rim, wheel bolt holes and central hub particularly on the sharp edges.
If you have wrapped it up today, with high humidity, then you have started the process.

Personally I don’t think wrapping it in Cling Film is a good idea. May keep it clean but will promote rust and corrosion.
When I removed my steel Spare wheel after 3.5 years And 65,000 miles I was amazed how clean it was, but there was some corrosion, not much, around the rim, wheel bolt holes and central hub particularly on the sharp edges.
If you have wrapped it up today, with high humidity, then you have started the process.
Yes I did consider that when weighing up the pros & cons, but decided if I did have to change the wheel at least it would be clean. I’ll have a look in a few weeks to see if there is any condensation in there; I might punch a few holes in it to provide some air circulation. Remember not to punch through the tyre! ;)

Yes I did consider that when weighing up the pros & cons, but decided if I did have to change the wheel at least it would be clean.
Then you´ve got to remove the dirty wet clingfilm and put it in your van.
It might save your gloves getting more dirt on them.
The clingfilm might deteriorate with the UV light reflected from puddles
and parts may blow off and end up in the sea,
I´m struggling.

Then you´ve got to remove the dirty wet clingfilm and put it in your van.
It might save your gloves getting more dirt on them.
The clingfilm might deteriorate with the UV light reflected from puddles
and parts may blow off and end up in the sea,
I´m struggling.
It’s industrial film, not the stuff you put on your sandwiches. It’s used to fasten goods onto pallets etc and certainly won’t blow off. If the time ever comes when I remove the wheel I’ll just peel it off so the dirty part is innermost and put it in a bin bag.

Or, preferably, I’ll get the roadside assistance man to peel it off and put it in a bin! ;)

It’s industrial film, not the stuff you put on your sandwiches. It’s used to fasten goods onto pallets etc and certainly won’t blow off. If the time ever comes when I remove the wheel I’ll just peel it off so the dirty part is innermost and put it in a bin bag.

Or, preferably, I’ll get the roadside assistance man to peel it off and put it in a bin! ;)
Will it make your sandwiches stay fresher if you use that stuff.
I´ve just seen the pic of your new wheel.
Way too good for a spare, i like those, i saw a beach with them the other
day, it looked good. :thumb

Nice wheels.WHEELs.jpg

Yes I think it’s about time steel wheels made a comeback. Knowing VW, they would be an expensive option!

The wheel/tyre I got was £130 delivered, might be worth looking into a set of winters (for the UK summer? ;))

When I get round to fitting mine (thanks for the fitting info motacyclist) I will spray the wheel with some clear rust proofer, like you’d use if laying up an outboard engine etc. ACE is good stuff

Last edited:
You may or may not be aware that if you are running 18" alloys on your Cali from new you will not have a spare wheel, the alternative is that VW supplies is a temporary repair tyre sealant, the big downside of this sealant is it will make the tyre beyond repair, meaning if you have just a small punture that could be repaired you will still need a new tyre.

As requested on many occasions we have now put together a spare wheel carrier kit for the California.

Available for both 16" and 17" however if you have 18" wheels fitted to your van you will require the 17" version.

We are unable to supply the spare wheels themselves but a tip before buying one is to try your local VW Commercial dealer who may well have second hand ones available.

Hi
I have 18" alloy wheels on my T6 Cali ocean and Ive just bought a spare wheel to match. My Tyres are 255 45 R18. Just for clarity can you please confirm that the 17"tyre carrier will work/ fit with this wheel and does it come with the relevant bolts?
Cheers
Nick

Hi
I have 18" alloy wheels on my T6 Cali ocean and Ive just bought a spare wheel to match. My Tyres are 255 45 R18. Just for clarity can you please confirm that the 17"tyre carrier will work/ fit with this wheel and does it come with the relevant bolts?
Cheers
Nick
Standard 18" wheels are 8" wide, 17" are 7".
The extra 1" of rim will be a possible problem with reduced ground clearance and fitting into a rack designed for a 7" rim.
An option that does fit straight in is the Amorak 18" rim as it is 7.5" wide and with a 235/55/18 tyre the increase in circumference over the 255/45/18 would be ok for emergency use, obviously no issue on the rear of a 2WD.

Hi
Cheers
Nick

Hi
Cheers
Nick
Fitted a spare carrier when I changed from the supplied 18s to 17s. Curiosity lead to fitting one of the 18s. Yes they fit. You can also adjust the mounting point of the spare carrier to give more room if needed.

Hi
Cheers
Nick
@NicholasLeyshon, I see you are in Cornwall too. I have a new spare wheel carrier with the bolts which I never got round to fitting to my last van And is no longer needed. Let me know if you would be interested.

Can this fit the 6.1?

Back