Spare wheel warning

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Possibly interesting to some.

On my way to MOT yesterday I got a flat. Swapped for the spare and carried on.

On arrival the tester said he’d have to fail the van due to the spare being a different size to the rest.
It was but only in the sense that rim was 16” not 17”, tyre OD and width within a few mm.

So from this it’s assumed insurance would be invalid in the event of a shunt whilst running a spare.

All you 20” blingers out there, worth noting perhaps.

Interesting point but I don’t think your insurance would be invalid. If so, the motor industry wouldn’t be supplying small diameter space saver wheels with just about every car. A quick google tells me you’ll fail an mot with a space saver too.

You might also have failed as you were no longer carrying a ‘functioning’ spare.
Are you sure? VW don't supply a " functioning spare " with 18" wheels.
I would presume if the flat tyre was carried " in " the vehicle rather than the spare carrier it would not be defined as a spare. Could be wrong.

I would presume if the flat tyre was carried " in " the vehicle rather than the spare carrier it would not be defined as a spare. Could be wrong.
It’s no longer a considered a ‘spare’ when it fitted to the axle. Your old punctured tyre is now the ‘spare’ but it’s not in useable condition.

You must always make sure that tyres on the same axle are of the same size and aspect ratio – your car will fail the MOT test if they’re not – but the law makes an exception for temporary use spare wheels fitted in an emergency.

So best to get the tyre fixed or replaced before presenting for the MOT. Then the spare remains as a ‘spare’ as it’s not fitted to the axle.

A Typical Extract from the MOT testers manual:

5.2.2. Road wheel condition
You only need to inspect the road wheels fitted to the vehicle at the time of the inspection. If you notice a defect on a spare wheel, you should tell the vehicle presenter about it.

Through out its clear that it is only the "road Wheels" that are tested, a spare is neither required or part of the test. Presenting a car for test with a space saver fitted would be a fail.

I don't know of the road legal aspects of having a smaller diameter rim fitted as a spare but...

Out Citroen C3 has 17" road wheels. The spare is a 15" with a 'normal' tyre, ie not a special spacesaver type. The 15" rim has 50MPH/80Kph markings.

Would that indicate that those using a 16" or 17" spare with 18, 19 or 20" rims should only travel at 50MPH and mark the rim accordingly when fitted?
There would be potential handling characteristics differences.

Extract from C&U regulations below, interestingly there is no actual definition of what is a space saver.
A 17" cali rim used instead of an 18" will meet Reg 27 (1)(a) as long as it has legal tread & sufficient load rating. There doesn't appear to be any requirement for specific markings on the spacesaver. If you go over 50MPH you could be pulled on a C&U offence.

Reg 27 (1) (a) MV Con and Use regs 1986 makes the requirement that a tyre has not to be unsuitable having regard to the use to which the motor vehicle is being put or to the types of tyres fitted to the other road wheels.

Sub Para (3) of Reg 27 states: Para 1 (a) above does NOT PROHIBIT the use on a road a passenger vehicle (not being a bus) by reason only of the fact that a wheel of the vehicle is fitted with A TEMPORARY USE (not defined)spare tyre unless the vehicle is driven in excess of 50mph.

It’s no longer a considered a ‘spare’ when it fitted to the axle. Your old punctured tyre is now the ‘spare’ but it’s not in useable condition.

You must always make sure that tyres on the same axle are of the same size and aspect ratio – your car will fail the MOT test if they’re not – but the law makes an exception for temporary use spare wheels fitted in an emergency.

So best to get the tyre fixed or replaced before presenting for the MOT. Then the spare remains as a ‘spare’ as it’s not fitted to the axle.
Its not a legal requirement to carry a spare. So you cannot fail the MOT if you don't have one. If you have one, it must be leagl, ie tread, tyre pressure etc.

Its not a legal requirement to carry a spare. So you cannot fail the MOT if you don't have one. If you have one, it must be leagl, ie tread, tyre pressure etc.
So if you are carrying a wheel and tyre IN the vehicle , not in a spare wheel carrier, is it considered a "spare" even if it is non-standard for the vehicle?

So if you are carrying a wheel and tyre IN the vehicle , not in a spare wheel carrier, is it considered a "spare" even if it is non-standard for the vehicle?
Would be down to the reason that it's in the vehicle.
Wouldn't take to an MOT test as a loose item as would potentially be an unsecured spare wheel.

See post 5 above. Not part of the test anymore.

I thought if you have a spare wheel in place then it is part of mot test, but you are not required to have a spare to pass an mot anymore
I’m sure it used to be like that, but those are extracts from the current testers manual, It’s the wheels touching the ground that are tested.

A Typical Extract from the MOT testers manual:

5.2.2. Road wheel condition
You only need to inspect the road wheels fitted to the vehicle at the time of the inspection. If you notice a defect on a spare wheel, you should tell the vehicle presenter about it.

Through out its clear that it is only the "road Wheels" that are tested, a spare is neither required or part of the test. Presenting a car for test with a space saver fitted would be a fail.
Hear Hear at last confirmation Thank you

Regardless of MOT requirements a spare needs to be legal when fitted, having a worn to legal limit or other defect would wear below the limit possibly within a few miles.
Always tempting to apply the 'that'll do as a spare' to a worn tyre.

Regardless of MOT requirements a spare needs to be legal when fitted, having a worn to legal limit or other defect would wear below the limit possibly within a few miles.
Always tempting to apply the 'that'll do as a spare' to a worn tyre.
Never known anyone adopt that attitude, the spare needs to legal simple, because as soon as it's fitted, it's illegal!

Never known anyone adopt that attitude, the spare needs to legal simple, because as soon as it's fitted, it's illegal!
I've seen many especially when I used to hunt scrap yards for parts.

You can pass an MOT with a spare tyre on your car as long as it meets the minimum legal requirements. The spare tyre must be roadworthy, have no defects, and meet the minimum tread depth requirements.

if it is in the car it might be considered a spare. If I had a dodgy spare, I would take our/off the vehicle before taking it in for an MOT.

Just carrying it may be considered as 'you might use it' ie. intent.

Back