Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sparesafe (again!)

Gina-B

Gina-B

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Sorry if this has been answered already - I've scoured the forums but........
Can someone tell me - when fitting a Sparesafe, do you need to loosen the left hand bolt a short way or as far as possible? Like many, I'm having great difficulty lining up the Sparesafe bolt with the thread when the Sparesafe is held in place. There doesn't seem to be much info on the left-hand bolt.
I really want to get this sorted asap.

Sorry if this has been answered already - I've scoured the forums but........
Can someone tell me - when fitting a Sparesafe, do you need to loosen the left hand bolt a short way or as far as possible? Like many, I'm having great difficulty lining up the Sparesafe bolt with the thread when the Sparesafe is held in place. There doesn't seem to be much info on the left-hand bolt.
I really want to get this sorted asap.
You loosen the L hand bolt about 1/4 to 1/2 inch,
Use the handle of the VW wheel wrench and insert it into the circular hole on the end of the wheel carrier. After you undo the R hand bolt use the wrench to lift and move to the Right the wheel carrier to disengage from the L hand bolt.
So, loosen the L bolt and use the wrench to get the carrier in position, moving carrier L or R, to screw the new R hand bolt , with Sparesafe, into the threaded portion of the Wheel carrier. Then tighten up both bolts.

See pictures in Post 29

My first spare safe was faulty and had to be returned. There was a large amount of surplus metal from the weld up inside. This would throw the whole thing off centre when tightening the locking bolt. Leaving me with a very difficult time trying to remove the locking bolt. The locking bolt had been thrown to one side, resulting in a situation where the key didn't have enough room to slide over the bolt. Took some considerable amount of time to remove and glad that I tested it prior to any emergency. Eventually removed it with some long nosed pliers inserted into the holes. Was ready to throw it away in disgust. But returned it and the 2nd device was perfect and works as described. Check inside to make sure that you there isn't anything preventing the locking bolt from seating centrally.

Thanks Welshgas and Stu@rt. That sounds good advice so I'll have another go when the rain stops!! Such a shame it's such a fiddle, but better than losing an expensive spare wheel!

You loosen the L hand bolt about 1/4 to 1/2 inch,
Use the handle of the VW wheel wrench and insert it into the circular hole on the end of the wheel carrier. After you undo the R hand bolt use the wrench to lift and move to the Right the wheel carrier to disengage from the L hand bolt.
So, loosen the L bolt and use the wrench to get the carrier in position, moving carrier L or R, to screw the new R hand bolt , with Sparesafe, into the threaded portion of the Wheel carrier. Then tighten up both bolts.

See pictures in Post 29

WelshGas to the rescue yet again - Thank you - your instructions worked perfectly!

Back