Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sparesafe

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi. I've read some information on fitting these in some other parts of this forum and the guide supplied is good. However, I wasn't sure what to do with the metal cap for the head of the wheel lock, foreseeing a lot of difficulty in getting this off to access the wheel lock key to engage with the three holes. After speaking to man at Auto Inparts (who market it as a Trilock), he said that this is purely cosmetic in circumstances where people have put the bolt on their wheels, not their spare. He also said it might be better to leave it off to avoid water getting in. As an afterthought, its occurred to me that any rust build up would make the metal cap even harder to remove. So, I've left it off as I could picture myself really struggling to get the wheel off in an already difficult situation of needing to fit the spare!

Hi. I've read some information on fitting these in some other parts of this forum and the guide supplied is good. However, I wasn't sure what to do with the metal cap for the head of the wheel lock, foreseeing a lot of difficulty in getting this off to access the wheel lock key to engage with the three holes. After speaking to man at Auto Inparts (who market it as a Trilock), he said that this is purely cosmetic in circumstances where people have put the bolt on their wheels, not their spare. He also said it might be better to leave it off to avoid water getting in. As an afterthought, its occurred to me that any rust build up would make the metal cap even harder to remove. So, I've left it off as I could picture myself really struggling to get the wheel off in an already difficult situation of needing to fit the spare!

I think mine is in the attic somewhere ... in a box with a label - "Don't know what to do with these Cali fittings"

Check it once in a while. Get some copper grease on the bolt itself to stop it from rusting in place and you will be good. Clean it once in a while when you remember.

And I have a sparesafe waiting to go on too, so this is also very useful!

If you don't fit the cap, make sure you've got something to get the compacted mud etc out of the holes when you need to remove the bolt.

Thanks for the tips. I'll get some copper grease on my next Halfords trip.

Once I've got the van (obviously) I'm going to do a trial run of changing a wheel so I know what I'm doing when I have to do it for real in a rainstorm at midnight half way up a muddy hill ...

Once I've got the van (obviously) I'm going to do a trial run of changing a wheel so I know what I'm doing when I have to do it for real in a rainstorm at midnight half way up a muddy hill ...
You phone VW assist and let them do it Whilst you stay warm and dry :cheers

the spare wheel is an absolute PITA to get back under the van properly.

That's what the AA are for :)

Jokes apart, to change the wheel, some things you need to keep in mind
- if it is the rear that has a puncture, getting the spare out is nearly impossible. You may need a chock to raise the rear wheel to get the jack under and the spare out. Practice that.
- the tyre spanner provided by VW is a joke. Best is to get a 1 m breaker bar and a socket.
- the other funny thing, the tyre nuts are 18 mm and the lock nut is a 17 mm #headbang. So you will need two sockets to remove the tyre
- the locknut is made of cheese. 180 NM for the regular nuts and not above 140nm for the lock nut. Else you will shear it when you try and remove it
- If you are very particular about torque values, you can also get a small torque wrench and carry it with you.

... oh! and if you've ordered devonport wheels, they do stick to the central spigot and they are a PITA to remove. ensure that when you remove, use a wirebrush to clean the central spigot and copper grease it. You are then all set.

PS: Who ever thought that changing a tyre on a Cali was this easy! :D

Last edited:
That's what the AA are for :)

Jokes apart, to change the wheel, some things you need to keep in mind
- if it is the rear that has a puncture, getting the spare out is nearly impossible. You may need a chock to raise the rear wheel to get the jack under and the spare out. Practice that.
- the tyre spanner provided by VW is a joke. Best is to get a 1 m breaker bar and a socket.
- the other funny thing, the tyre nuts are 18 mm and the lock nut is a 17 mm #headbang. So you will need two sockets to remove the tyre
- the locknut is made of cheese. 180 NM for the regular nuts and not above 140nm for the lock nut. Else you will shear it when you try and remove it
- If you are very particular about torque values, you can also get a small torque wrench and carry it with you.

... oh! and if you've ordered devonport wheels, they do stick to the central spigot and they are a PITA to remove. ensure that when you remove, use a wirebrush to clean the central spigot and copper grease it. You are then all set.

PS: Who ever thought that changing a tyre on a Cali was this easy! :D
The other thing to consider before attempting to Jack the vehicle up, is the ground sufficient to take a point load of the Jack supplied?
the supplied Jack has a very small foot to take approx 3 tonne weight ! failure could be life changing for the person attempting to change a wheel.
only attempt to do a wheel change with the supplied Jack if it’s your last / only option

if possible leave it to someone else, unless it’s your only option to tackle it yourself.

having changed vehicle wheels of a car on the hard shoulder of a motorway, (several) I would think twice before tackling it yourself, unless “you“ are your only option.
as mentioned getting the knackered wheel back under the van and the bolts done up is an issue at the best of times.

Changed the rear right side wheel once on a cobblestone parking space. I was going to work, so I had to be quick.
I took the tooxbox from the rear seat, took out the jack. Put the jack under the right side jack point. Jacked up a little (about the driving height). Took the rubbish VW spanner, unscrewed the two bolts for the spare wheel (no lock, luckily), put the spanner the other way round in the hole from the wheel holder to get the spare wheel out.
Put the spare wheel under the van, unscrewed the wheel bolts (hand brake applied) without a problem (180Nm), tapped off the wheel (a bit jiggly on the cobblestone), put the spare wheel on, put the flat tyre wheel in the living room, on the carpet. Threw everything in the boot, put the bolt for the spare wheel back in place (hand tight), the other I just screwed in a few turns. I was 3 minutes late.

I don't have lock bolts, so all the bolts for the wheels and spare holder are 19 (not 18), and the screwdriver (reversible) is only 17, so that doesn't work for unscrewing the bolts.

I won't bother anyone else just for a flat tyre.

I mistyped and entered post reply, instead of typing the letter s ??

Changed the rear right side wheel once on a cobblestone parking space. I was going to work, so I had to be quick.
I took the tooxbox from the rear seat, took out the jack. Put the jack under the right side jack point. Jacked up a little (about the driving height). Took the rubbish VW spanner, unscrewed the two bolts for the spare wheel (no lock, luckily), put the spanner the other way round in the hole from the wheel holder to get the spare wheel out.
Put the spare wheel under the van, unscrewed the wheel bolts (hand brake applied) without a problem (180Nm), tapped off the wheel (a bit jiggly on the cobblestone), put the spare wheel on, put the flat tyre wheel in the living room, on the carpet. Threw everything in the boot, put the bolt for the spare wheel back in place (hand tight), the other I just screwed in a few turns. I was 3 minutes late.

I don't have lock bolts, so all the bolts for the wheels and spare holder are 19 (not 18), and the screwdriver (reversible) is only 17, so that doesn't work for unscrewing the bolts.

McLaren F1 are looking for good wheel men :Iamsorry

Put the spare wheel under the van, unscrewed the wheel bolts (hand brake applied) without a problem (180Nm), tapped off the wheel (a bit jiggly on the cobblestone),

Always loosen the bolts before you jack it up?

You were lucky with the wheel coming off easily. Ive swapped winters to summers a few times & the rears are always difficult to get off & invariably need a thump with a large hammer to shift them them. Theres no way Im doing that when the vans only held up on the flimsy vw jack.

Min time for VW assist is about an hour. Agree, Faster to change if you know what you're doing. :thumb

Back