Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Specing my new VW California Coast

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
The list of available options is daunting to say the least and since I'm ordering it new want to be sure I cover all my bases considering my specific needs and plans for the Cali. This will be my primary mode of transport for at least a couple of years and likely my main abode too when I move to Europe after 25 years in the USA.

The base Cali I'm ordering is the Coast 'Editions' 203PS 4motion DSG in grey/black. This model has many desirable options already spec'ed such as LED lighting and shower.

As for user options so far I've selected 80L fuel tank, rear view camera, canvas roof bellows w/panoramic and 150W solar cell kit.

Options I'm considering are a 2 or 3 year extended warranty. Also a comfier mattress for the roof bed which I plan to use most the time.

I'm planning to purchase a folding ebike (probably a Tern Vektron S10) which just fits in the space below the rear shelf at its highest position setting.

Any useful/indispensible factory options that I might have overlooked that I should consider before the build is finalized?

I have a year old Ocean T6. The only thing I’d change would be the flooring - I’d love a genuine wood one. I’d also recommend Jackyards seat covers. The VW monster mats are great too.

This spec Coast isn’t offered in the UK, have only seen about it in a YouTube video.
I'd suggest the towbar (or at least the prep) should you every need/want towbar bicycle carrier which can also double as extra storage...
This 'sort' of thing:
Screenshot_20201105-204518_Chrome.jpg

The list of available options is daunting to say the least and since I'm ordering it new want to be sure I cover all my bases considering my specific needs and plans for the Cali. This will be my primary mode of transport for at least a couple of years and likely my main abode too when I move to Europe after 25 years in the USA.

The base Cali I'm ordering is the Coast 'Editions' 203PS 4motion DSG in grey/black. This model has many desirable options already spec'ed such as LED lighting and shower.

As for user options so far I've selected 80L fuel tank, rear view camera, canvas roof bellows w/panoramic and 150W solar cell kit.

Options I'm considering are a 2 or 3 year extended warranty. Also a comfier mattress for the roof bed which I plan to use most the time.

I'm planning to purchase a folding ebike (probably a Tern Vektron S10) which just fits in the sp
Hello, I ordered a Coast in September, i'm in the UK so I think the base vehicle has different spec as standard, for example parking heater is standard, not sure about elsewhere in Europe?
This is the spec I chose:
Panoramic view in bellows
Mud flaps
80l tank
17 inch wheels
Wood effect flooring
Rear view camera
Tinted windows

Just make sure you do loads of research before you order, we took the spec list to the dealer and went through what each one was.

Towbar hookup is a good option to have for sure.

Yes I this Cali is going to be ordered LHD in either Austria or Holland and hopefully registered in France or Italy.

I like the clean lines of the wood effect flooring plus it offers ease of cleaning. I'll have to ask about the parking heater. Privacy tinting on windows is standard on the 'Editions' model.

Get as long a warranty period as possible.
I think standard period in Europe is 2 years unlike UK's 3 year warranty.

Not certain as to current registration method but to purchase in one country then transfer and register in another meant initially registering on International plates. Is there a reason for not purchasing in France if it's to be registered there?

This spec Coast isn’t offered in the UK, have only seen about it in a YouTube video.
I'd suggest the towbar (or at least the prep) should you every need/want towbar bicycle carrier which can also double as extra storage...
This 'sort' of thing:
View attachment 68886
This type doesn't tilt so not possible to open tailgate.
New Thule bike carrier has optional storage bag.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Still not sure where I'll be living in Europe this time next year, hence wanting to work with a dealer who can accommodate that situation.

I'm planning to purchase a folding ebike (probably a Tern Vektron S10) which just fits in the space below the rear shelf at its highest position setting.

Any useful/indispensible factory options that I might have overlooked that I should consider before the build is finalized?
Hi, is the 150w solar panel a factory installed or dealer installed option?

In the Uk we can spec 17 inch wheels which I also think gives you bigger brakes.

Do you know the manufacturer and model of the kit, or have a link?
No I don't have further info, but I have a Skype call with the dealer scheduled Monday to go over the options and will ask.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to ask.
The dealer is not currently offering the solar cell option. Apparently there have been problems with the more complex electrical system in the T6.1. Once those issues have been resolved it will be made available again.

Has anyone installed Construct Safetronic gear lock on their DSG? Opinions? My main concern is that being a Czech company their footprint around the EU may not be extensive enough should a problem arise resulting in the Cali being inoperable. Any better systems besides the BearLock?

The dealer is not currently offering the solar cell option. Apparently there have been problems with the more complex electrical system in the T6.1. Once those issues have been resolved it will be made available again.
Roger at Solar Camper Solutions has a kit specifically for the 6.1, DIY install. He's a Trade Partner here on the Forum, gives a discount for Forum members.

Last edited:
Final build spec confirmed:

199 LHD Coast EDITION 4motion DSG
Pure Gray (exclusive for the Cali Coast EDITION model)
EDITION pack includes 17" black Aracaju wheels, foglight, LED headlights and taillights, LED interior lighting, comfort mattress and rear shower.

Options:
Privacy glass in rear
Canvas roof bellows and front window
Wood look floor panels
Power folding mirrors
AGM battery and upgraded alternator
ACC
4 programmed keys
80L fuel tank
Detachable tow bar
Parking sensors front and rear + backup camera
Monster mats