Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed cameras in France

P

Pouzols

Beware the month of April sees the introduction of hidden speed cameras across France, the new style cameras are hidden behind the number plates of unmarked police cars (the cars are driven by uniformed police officers), and using Infra Red beams they give no visible flash.
It is rumoured that the first of these cameras work only on detecting "overtaking"speeding vehicles, so do not record drivers faces and therefore the penalty issued maybe contested (?) but newer models that will detect "approaching" vehicles will be introduced by the summer.
Over the next 3 years they are intended to replace the current "mobile" cameras used by police in stationary cars.

Recording the speed of overtaking drivers is plain stupid and dangerous. I love many things about France, but this would be crazy :crazy

It would promote the overtaking of a car driving 109kmh by one doing 110kmh whilst in the oncoming lane and fewer road manoevres are more dangerous than this. Being too frightened to do 110kmh on an open road prompts drivers to continually check their speed which is itself dangerous. But checking the speed whilst overtaking is plain lunacy.

I have specified cruise control on every car I have owned since 1999 because of this sort of nonsense :censor

Every car doing near identical speeds caused by fear of speed cameras promotes incredibly boring and soporific driving, as in Australia. Policies like this need to respect human nature and the realities of life.

But remember they need to catch you in the country to issue the penalty, there is no agreement between France and the UK to pass on details, so if you get flashed whilst you're out there, but don't get stopped, you'll be fine :thumb I seem to get flashed every time I go! :cool:

I did read recently that a trans border agreement is being set up so several Euro countries will share their databases which is being led by the UK and France, I cant remember when it plans to go live. This will be bad for us in France but good for all these bad foreign lorry drivers we have using our roads over here.