Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speeding Ticket

True but cyclists, especially couriers running red lights etc can cause mayhem and as a cyclist myself I recognise the frustration watching drivers react to bad manners. As stated all have to respect the rules. As for constrained the most strange comment. Drivers are required to drive to rules or lose their licence but not other users. Constrained suggests removing more road space for others which can be very counter productive when roads are narrowed to dangerous limits.

The trouble is it is mainly drivers that are persecuted/prosecuted for their actions and heavily controlled and policed, NOT the cyclists or pedestrians.

That is because motorists use the street under licence; pedestrians and cyclists should be able to use the street by right (that does not suggest without responsibility). The reverse is all to often implied: motorists rarely have to stop, press a button, then give way to cyclists and pedestrians until given a signal to proceed.

That is because motorists use the street under licence; pedestrians and cyclists should be able to use the street by right (that does not suggest without responsibility). The reverse is all to often implied: motorists rarely have to stop, press a button, then give way to cyclists and pedestrians until given a signal to proceed.
The street is for all. The Driver is licenced to drive a vehicle. Pity some pedestrians and cyclists aren't similarly licenced, then maybe the cyclists wouldn't use non-cycleway pavements or ignore red lights and similarity pedestrians respect that pavements stop at the kerb and that if they step into the roadway they do so with some modicum of intelligence that walking in front of a moving vehicle is going to hurt. That's why they have control of the traffic flow with that little button.
Maybe we should introduce Regulations regarding Jaywalking. However, I am sure you will disagree.
image.jpeg

Of course before the Jaywalker there was the Jay-driver, specifically someone who drove on the wrong side of the road, although in those days, around the turn of the 20th century, horsepower was measured in terms of numbers of nags pulling the cart.

Maybe we should introduce Regulations regarding Jaywalking. However, I am sure you will disagree.

As would the French:
https://survivalskills.wordpress.co...france-pedestrian-priority-laws-have-changed/

I have never viewed jaywalking as much of a problem. And I can honestly say that I have never heard of a motorist being killed by a pedestrian or cyclist in a road traffic crash. However, I frequently hear of pedestrians and cyclists being killed by a motorist in a road traffic crash.

Are speeding camera tickets manually reviewed before being issued? I will have been caught on camera on the A68 last weekend. I was doing less than the speed limit (60mph) but the camera was triggered by a motorcyclist overtaking me. It was a forward facing camera so the biker is safe because he does not have a front number plate - but mine will be clearly visible. Presumably the road markings will clear me but will it end up being me that has to prove that?

As would the French:
https://survivalskills.wordpress.co...france-pedestrian-priority-laws-have-changed/

I have never viewed jaywalking as much of a problem. And I can honestly say that I have never heard of a motorist being killed by a pedestrian or cyclist in a road traffic crash. However, I frequently hear of pedestrians and cyclists being killed by a motorist in a road traffic crash.

Other road users (including cyclists and pedestrians) most certainly do cause RTC's.

This kind of discussion rages in local newspapers up and down the UK. Yet look at casualty figures... though not zero, the carnage inflicted on others by pedestrians or cyclists is as near zero as makes no difference. This is why enforcement concentrates on those with the most power to harm others. Cycling and pedestrian offences are mostly an annoyance; motoring offences not so - they risk so much more. My head was clarified by a discussion along these lines with a Dutch friend...he just looked puzzled! The thinking of the powerful/dangerous giving way to the vulnerable is so ingrained there as anyone who has ever cycled near a Dutch roundabout will know. No contest. We have a big responsibility in cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other road users (including cyclists and pedestrians) most certainly do cause RTC's.

Your reply implies that I said something that I didn't.

One thing that differs between pedestrians and cyclists, and motorists, is the severity of injury inflicted on others. (And before you say it, I know that reckless cyclists have cost lives, but, a) this is not about recklessness it is about everyday; and, b) the numbers killed by cyclists are tiny compared to the numbers killed by motorists.)

But even that is not the main point about 20mph limits. It is about beginning to redefine the purpose of local streets, from that of a thoroughfare, primarily for motor traffic, to that of a public space shared by all. It should be of no surprise that Inner London boroughs are leading the way in setting blanket 20mph limits: over 50% of Inner London households have no car.

streetplay4.png

upload_2016-8-21_8-34-59.jpeg

Your reply implies that I said something that I didn't.

One thing that differs between pedestrians and cyclists, and motorists, is the severity of injury inflicted on others. (And before you say it, I know that reckless cyclists have cost lives, but, a) this is not about recklessness it is about everyday; and, b) the numbers killed by cyclists are tiny compared to the numbers killed by motorists.)

But even that is not the main point about 20mph limits. It is about beginning to redefine the purpose of local streets, from that of a thoroughfare, primarily for motor traffic, to that of a public space shared by all. It should be of no surprise that Inner London boroughs are leading the way in setting blanket 20mph limits: over 50% of Inner London households have no car.

streetplay4.png

View attachment 15910

The safest street I know is Exhibition Road in Kensington. Everyone respects each other.

Not sure I'd agree 100% about that particular street WG. When they first converted Exhibition Road a few years back, yes drivers were very cautious and considerate at first. But I was walking up there a couple of weeks ago and two vehicles were going (admittedly, in my grumpy middle-aged-git opinion) much too fast and seemed to think that they had 'priority' over pedestrians.

Whatever the evidence of the long-term accident stats turns out to be, if people don't actually feel safe in the shared spaces, I guess there will be public resistance to expanding the concept.

By the way, what's all this namby-pamby postmodernist 1970s 'Green Cross Code' nonsense?? I was taught proper Kerb Drill. :rolleyes:

Back