Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Split Charge - AGM - Solar Advice

D

DMAS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
First off I have read lots and lot on here before posting this. But I'm still a little confused. Any help would be massively appreciated.

2014. California Beach Blue motion.

AGM starter Battery ( from new )
Lead Acid Leisure Battery ( from new )

Now the lead acid battery wasn't happy, needed to be changed. Posted the question on here (or maybe FB cali club group) and advised get an AGM

I got a decent AGM battery and swapped out the lead acid battery. All good. ( by the way, that alone is a big deal for me, I'm never very good at this sort of stuff!)

Everything is back in and connected and we're all good.

However, I've now been reading that in order to fully charge my new AGM I should be looking at a DCDC charger. Spoke to Alpha Batteries and they've sent details of the Renogy 12v 30a DCC30S split charger. With added solar capability ( my next project ). Also I've noticed that when my engine is running the little cigarette lighter 12v usb adapter that displays current voltage show 14.8 volts, and from what I can gather that is good voltage to fully charge an AGM?

I've purchased the Blue Smart Victron Battery charger for now as that will take my AGM upto 100% if I use that.

Questions

Is 14.8v fine and I maybe don't need a DCDC charger?

Can I simply swap my current split charger for this DCDC one ? Is it straight forward?

If so, where is my split charger ? ( can't see it under passenger seat )

Bear in mind, mine is a Beach. The guide from Loz ( who is an absolute legend on here! ) doesn't fit my circumstances 100%, as far as I can tell

Thanks all

EDIT - Just read in my Manual "The battery compartment and the battery charger are designed specifically for the factory-fitted AGM batteries"

Now I'm really confused

Last edited:
Is 14.8v fine and I maybe don't need a DCDC charger?
It's fine for charging whilst the alternator is actually charging, but the problem is when the bluemotion puts the alternator into idle and is sitting at 12.x Volts and allowing all that nice charge in your leisure battery to flow back to the starter battery.
That's why it's optimal to have a DC-DC charger, the Renology is fine.

I have ordered the renogy this week. There was a discount code WELCOME10 that gave 10% off.

Back