Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Split charging relay question

I think your battery 75A fuse is blown (you may have blown it when you removed it because the cable is still live from the front battery.)
It should link similar to this;
51ENqm0uXeL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Have you checked this fuse?
1593700261620.png

Thread ressurection. Just installed a kit into a 6.1 ocean, with dual charger, and have done many before with zero issues. Pleanty of 6.1 Oceans done.

On this one, the Starter Battery live side on the split charging relay is dead. The relay works, and energises on startup, but the Starter side just then just shows the LB voltage (as the relay is now closed). Engine off, and the relay clicks open, and the starter side is dead again. More below image.

1654697943509.png

I connect to the right of the relay, which is always fine. Until today. Cali control panel confirms there is no engine charging happening.

So, .... where is the fuse for the relay to starter battery link in a 6.1 ocean? I had a look under the bonnet and only found two strip fuses on top of the battery, going to two red wires. Both strip fuses checked out OK.

Does the 6.1 also have a fuse panel under the front leisure battery? I didn't want to pull the battery out as I would not have had a fuse to replace ti with if I did find it.

Thread ressurection. Just installed a kit into a 6.1 ocean, with dual charger, and have done many before with zero issues. Pleanty of 6.1 Oceans done.

On this one, the Starter Battery live side on the split charging relay is dead. The relay works, and energises on startup, but the Starter side just then just shows the LB voltage (as the relay is now closed). Engine off, and the relay clicks open, and the starter side is dead again. More below image.

View attachment 94203

I connect to the right of the relay, which is always fine. Until today. Cali control panel confirms there is no engine charging happening.

So, .... where is the fuse for the relay to starter battery link in a 6.1 ocean? I had a look under the bonnet and only found two strip fuses on top of the battery, going to two red wires. Both strip fuses checked out OK.

Does the 6.1 also have a fuse panel under the front leisure battery? I didn't want to pull the battery out as I would not have had a fuse to replace ti with if I did find it.
@Roger Donoghue did you ever get a reply to this question?
I’m wondering now if my Epever duo racer is actually providing any juice into the starter battery?
How could I tell if I have a connection from the right hand side of the relay to the starter battery.
Can I do a volt meter test from this connector (right side to earth body of chassis and see if I have 12 / 13 / 14 v ?

Yep - customer had a blown main strip-fuse. They are located under a cover - don't have the details to hand.

If the right hand battery icon on the Epever display shows up, at all, then its connected. "Start" is what its labelled as. If its not connected then no battery icon shows at all.

If you want to test your relay with a meter, then right hand connection to positive meter lead, chassis earth to negative meter lead - you should get around 12.6v. (you can open the bonnet and meter your starter battery direct to see if it's the same, to confirm you have the right one) Prob a touch less than 12.6v unless you've driven recently. The left hand relay connection should meter whatever your leisure battery voltage is at that time.

The Evpever won't charge the starter unless it drops down under 12.6v, OR, the panel has loads of unneeded power and can spare it. The "start" battery icon will almost always sit at "half full" as that is actually 12.6v, which is 100% full, but it has to leave some bars to allow for showing a higher voltage under charge. The starter charging with the Epever is solely meant to be a maintenance / emergency charge.

Yep - customer had a blown main strip-fuse. They are located under a cover - don't have the details to hand.

If the right hand battery icon on the Epever display shows up, at all, then its connected. "Start" is what its labelled as. If its not connected then no battery icon shows at all.

If you want to test your relay with a meter, then right hand connection to positive meter lead, chassis earth to negative meter lead - you should get around 12.6v. (you can open the bonnet and meter your starter battery direct to see if it's the same, to confirm you have the right one) Prob a touch less than 12.6v unless you've driven recently. The left hand relay connection should meter whatever your leisure battery voltage is at that time.

The Evpever won't charge the starter unless it drops down under 12.6v, OR, the panel has loads of unneeded power and can spare it. The "start" battery icon will almost always sit at "half full" as that is actually 12.6v, which is 100% full, but it has to leave some bars to allow for showing a higher voltage under charge. The starter charging with the Epever is solely meant to be a maintenance / emergency charge.
Great information @Roger Donoghue
Thank you !
I’ve left dashcam on for 24 hours and just checked my Lesuire battery and it looks like this.
IMG_6683.jpeg
Starter battery is at 13.2v
IMG_6688.jpeg
Fridge is still off.
I heard fridge will last for 3 days with a 100w Solar power panel. With no driving or max charge used.

On a Cali Ocean (2 batteries) your fridge should run on medium for about 4 days. No solar. No charging.

With 100w solar, it should run, in summer, ....for ever.....

On a Cali Ocean (2 batteries) your fridge should run on medium for about 4 days. No solar. No charging.

I’ll give the Solar panel a clean tomorrow and put fridge on and see how it goes …
Fridge will be on 4.
Fridge has about 10 cans of ice cold Pepsi and 8 bottles of beer.
Thank you for you help with this

We can verify this. We had our fridge on for a weekend party to store food overflow for 4 days. The hot weekend we had thats seems to have gone now. Full batteries from the panel.

We can verify this. We had our fridge on for a weekend party to store food overflow for 4 days. The hot weekend we had thats seems to have gone now. Full batteries from the panel.
Thank you.
Just checked and I had 35 watts of power.
California is covered in sap and Sahara dust.
Cleaned solar panel and now getting 59.9 watts of power.
I’ll let it run with dashcam and fridge on for a few days now.

agree with above, our Dometic coolbox has been switched on in the back of the van 24/7 for 2 years now - doubles as a beer fridge at home…it’s never run out of power.

Back