Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stand alone solar

Thank you bob, does the charge controller come with a panel or do you need to purchase separately??

So just set up 100w dokio.
I got my dealer to put some flyleads in off the leisure battery before I collected new van, incase I wanted to attach anything like this.
So made life very easy, just cut croc clips off and through crimped wire onto flyleads.
Getting 5-5.8a.
Panel could of done with instructions and pull out legs (like the justkamper one I was looking at) being only £107 and the justkamper one was £230 think I can live without them!
This is only going to be used as an extra boost if needed as I will have a 118w Solbian panel fitted to the roof when it turns up.92779954-5297-4B47-A7EA-F4DDC4FAF2B4.jpeg5F3EA93B-DD58-41EF-A807-F0EEA90AE81B.jpeg

So just set up 100w dokio.
I got my dealer to put some flyleads in off the leisure battery before I collected new van, incase I wanted to attach anything like this.
So made life very easy, just cut croc clips off and through crimped wire onto flyleads.
Getting 5-5.8a.
Panel could of done with instructions and pull out legs (like the justkamper one I was looking at) being only £107 and the justkamper one was £230 think I can live without them!
This is only going to be used as an extra boost if needed as I will have a 118w Solbian panel fitted to the roof when it turns up.View attachment 92987View attachment 92988
Exactly what I’m after, cheers for putting up pics. Out of interest did the dealer say anything about warranty implications?

They are a westy dealer and all the extra bits don’t interfere with the westy electrics.
They fitted inline fuse on live off battery, and solar charger controller for dokio gets unplugged after use.
I have a victron controller fitted by dealer too, ready for Solbian roof panel so shouldn’t be any issues.
Dokio is just a plug and play thing very easy to pull battery and solar plugs

Curious what sort of power you get from inside the windscreen. Would be a good way to leave unattended and still get the benefits of charging.
So just done a quick test and I mean quick few mins set up inside as I’m trying to charge my leisure bats want max gain.
Max inside was 2.5a compared with 5a outside.
I think if you just want a little top up then these very thin portable panels are a great idea.
Could of done with some eyelits to secure to van you could drill some holes on edge just to make it a little harder for some to just walk off with or use strap handles.
My charge control is in van so wouldn’t be ideal for someone to pinch as they would have to source a new one.
893C92E9-94A9-4F10-8B45-7A37206B038B.jpeg5951417C-1C0C-44F8-9F9E-8BEF058A2827.jpeg

So just done a quick test and I mean quick few mins set up inside as I’m trying to charge my leisure bats want max gain.
Max inside was 2.5a compared with 5a outside.
I think if you just want a little top up then these very thin portable panels are a great idea.
Could of done with some eyelits to secure to van you could drill some holes on edge just to make it a little harder for some to just walk off with or use strap handles.
My charge control is in van so wouldn’t be ideal for someone to pinch as they would have to source a new one.
View attachment 93010View attachment 93011
Interesting. Although there appears to be a bit of shadow from your roof overhang which will make a difference too.

Interesting. Although there appears to be a bit of shadow from your roof overhang which will make a difference too.
Yes I did think you may get a fraction more on a cali, but half power was pretty impressive didn’t expect that much.
For £100 it’s a bargain and should be easy to store in van

The main draw for me is if the Cali is parked a certain way for the view or whatever, the orientation of a fixed panel might not be great, especially with the roof up. It’ll be useful to be able to orient the panel by hand.

Could of done with some eyelits to secure to van you could drill some holes on edge just to make it a little harder for some to just walk off with or use strap handles
Tbh I’ve never had anything nicked off a campsite in decades of using them. I did suspect something got nicked once but it’d blown away!

Update on the 100w dokio solar, very pleased with it.
Great for chasing the sun and have managed to hang it off van in different places.
For security I put one of the carry handles shut into door and wrap a bungee cord around it and the grab handle in van.
If someone wants it then it wouldn’t take much to cut handle but great to stop a quick chancer grab.

3.2a at 8am hung like thatF9F34768-68F8-441A-87F5-95A4BF14ED02.jpeg

I use a sunpower gold from amazon, bargain at £129.00 when i bought it. Comes with solar controller( cheap one but works) and various connectors.. we do festivals and tops the battery up a treat. 130 watt and folds into a case that sits on the parcel shelf. On a good day i get approx 6 amps out of it. Just clips onto battery under passenger seat or rear cupboard.
Yep

Comes as kit from Amazon - but check Mark's video above as the 12v socket adaptor is harder to find.
Also very interested in this Dokio 100w solution. I have a Beach (1 aux battery, but not possible to park in front of house for hook-up). This could be a solution to keep a bit more electricity in the batteries, and also allow to extend battery life en route without the cost of a fixed installation.
Question: if I would add a 12v car plug to the leads of the Dokio, i could plug this in straight into the soccket by the sliding door?
This plug below had a 10a fuse, so also protected for overcharging at the same time?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YXQ6KT3/?tag=eliteelect-21

Thanks in advance!

Help please, Am I correct in my understanding that with a portable solar panel like the Dokia you just plug it into the 12V socket by the sliding door and it will directly charge the leisure batteries??only if the controller output is less than

Also very interested in this Dokio 100w solution. I have a Beach (1 aux battery, but not possible to park in front of house for hook-up). This could be a solution to keep a bit more electricity in the batteries, and also allow to extend battery life en route without the cost of a fixed installation.
Question: if I would add a 12v car plug to the leads of the Dokio, i could plug this in straight into the soccket by the sliding door?
This plug below had a 10a fuse, so also protected for overcharging at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
That looks right except for the connectors that you would have to adapt... The link in my video will take you to a ready made one from amazon US that only took about 4 days to arrive and would save messy cables. It just plugs right in to the controller.
Just be sure to get a solar panel like the one I link to which doesn't go above 10amp. The vw manual says not to do this by the way, but technically its fine as long as you know what you are doing.

Thanks in advance!
Have you got this plug yet? If so how is it working

Do you have to use their charge controller or does it have a DC output from the panel? I have a victron MPPT charge controller built in. I simply need to connect the leads from a panel.

Do you have to use their charge controller or does it have a DC output from the panel? I have a victron MPPT charge controller built in. I simply need to connect the leads from a panel.
I was thinking the same. I have the mppt controller fitted to a solar panel on the roof atm. Can I just wire a dokio into the controller as well to give more charging ability?

assuming 8you are asking about going in via the 12v socket, you need to first go into the charge controller that comes with it (or your own). This does something about regulating the output and shutting off charge if battery reaches capacity / slows charge to protect battery. Or something like that. If you want to charge something like a jackery portable battery, then you can go direct from the solar panel since the jackery type batteries have a built in regulator. You cannot in my understanding go straight from the solar panel to a battery. Well, you probably could, but could reduce the life / damage your battery. I'm not an expert, but that is my understanding. Controller box must be MAX 9.99999 amp output :cool: . The set up in my video above goes to about 9.5 amp at full capacity and the controller box comes with the kit, along with all the cables except one (which is talked about in the video with a link in the description). Hope that helps.

That looks right except for the connectors that you would have to adapt... The link in my video will take you to a ready made one from amazon US that only took about 4 days to arrive and would save messy cables. It just plugs right in to the controller.
Just be sure to get a solar panel like the one I link to which doesn't go above 10amp. The vw manual says not to do this by the way, but technically its fine as long as you know what you are doing.
Thanks for your input.

Still debating to go for it or not: the reviews on amazon seem mixed on the dokio (especially on durability). On the other hand, this is really not expensive as a back-up solution.

Anyone on here wants to share his feedback on durability of Dokio?

Thanks for your input.

Still debating to go for it or not: the reviews on amazon seem mixed on the dokio (especially on durability). On the other hand, this is really not expensive as a back-up solution.

Since you are in Belgium I would consider the Xtar SP100 book case panel. Very durable. Outputs over the stated 100W rating. Lots of positive reviews on YT

Thanks for your input.

Had mine for about a month, seems fine.
You would be best to store it up in the roof bed or wedged down the side of boot as you wouldn’t want anything on top of it or fall on it.
I think it’s a bargain paid £100 for 100w no brainer really.52D94B53-CE5B-4AE9-B925-7990641E3658.jpeg3E051D0B-B602-4B4F-A6A2-EDFB39B16484.jpeg

Back