Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starter battery

Brownbetty

Brownbetty

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone, I'm going to replace my starter battery on my California SE 174 57plate, I only had it replaced two yrs ago but have had it tested & it's knackered it only had a one yr warranty.
So my question is what is the best battery to get. Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, I'm going to replace my starter battery on my California SE 174 57plate, I only had it replaced two yrs ago but have had it tested & it's knackered it only had a one yr warranty.
So my question is what is the best battery to get. Thanks in advance.
Varta F21, as fitted by VW.

VIP discount from Tanya.

You can get cheaper batteries but as you have found out, there is a reason for them being cheaper.

Varta F21, as fitted by VW.

VIP discount from Tanya.

You can get cheaper batteries but as you have found out, there is a reason for them being cheaper.
You're spot on, my leisure batteries are from there & they are great. Cheers Wg.

Go for the Bosch if they have stock. Exactly the same battery. different stickers. Cheaper, better warranty. Made in the same factory by Brookfield Business Partners LP

Can I ask why AGM? My 2012 Cali still has OEM starter battery (10 yrs - not bad) but it’s not the AGM version. The Varta F18 ‘wet’ battery has a 5 yr warranty and seems a suitable replacement. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Can I ask why AGM? My 2012 Cali still has OEM starter battery (10 yrs - not bad) but it’s not the AGM version. The Varta F18 ‘wet’ battery has a 5 yr warranty and seems a suitable replacement. Thoughts?
Do you have Stop/Start ?

We got ours from the RAC (branded RAC, they are made by Varta) - comes with 5 year warranty. Normally same day fitting at your home. They carry a selection in their vans so will check against the old one and recommend replacement model.

Just changed my 2012 battery - you’re correct the 2012 engine battery is a traditional ‘wet’. Replaced with a ‘Type 115’ (I went with Bosch S5 011 from Tayna Batteries) which is the same size and capacity as the original Varta.

However, if you have a later stop/start vehicle, they need an AGM battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just changed my 2012 battery - you’re correct the 2012 engine battery is a traditional ‘wet’. Replaced with a ‘Type 115’ (I went with Bosch S5 011 from Tayna Batteries) which is the same size and capacity as the original Varta.

However, if you have a later stop/start vehicle, they need an AGM battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our 2012 is Bluemotion, no start/stop, wet battery:

DEC41407-2844-4FAD-9FDB-8CB7FACD0134.jpeg

That’s interesting, I’d always thought that “Bluemotion” meant stop/start was fitted.
On some models there was no start stop but Bluemotion was a combination of other tweaks. :

- Revised engine mapping, DPF and oxidising Cat to reduce fuel consumption / NOX.
- Low resistance tires
Adjusted Gear ratios (Last 2 gear ratio's higher than standard TDI gearboxes at the time
- Gear change Indicator

An aside bit of info just to muddy the waters.

I recently went to charge my daughters Ford Focus battery and assumed that as it had Stop/Start it would be an AGM charge cycle needed.
No AGM indication on label but EFB instead.
Turns out that there are wet batteries designed for Stop/Start with the ability to withstand the repeated demands of that starting process. Possibly just on Fords?

An aside bit of info just to muddy the waters.

I recently went to charge my daughters Ford Focus battery and assumed that as it had Stop/Start it would be an AGM charge cycle needed.
No AGM indication on label but EFB instead.
Turns out that there are wet batteries designed for Stop/Start with the ability to withstand the repeated demands of that starting process. Possibly just on Fords?
I also own a Skoda Karoq 1.6 diesel and it also has an EFB battery. But my previous vehicle was a 1.6 diesel Golf 2013 but the battery was AGM.