Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starter battery draining quickly

M88GAV

M88GAV

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I’ve had a search and not found anything that seems to help with my issue.

My starter battery seems to be draining a lot sooner than I would expect while the vehicle is unused.

I last drove it on Monday afternoon after a weekend away. I have a solar panel that also trickle charges the starter battery.

During the week I’ve had the fridge on, in camping mode so the lights don’t come on when I open a door, been in and out of it around 10 times and raised the roof twice.

The last time opening the roof and closing it was just now. When I turned the key, I got a message stating the 12v battery was low and I should drive the vehicle to charge it.

Does this seem normal for 6 days without use and being trickle charged from the solar panel?

Edit:
I also have a BM20 battery monitor on the starter battery. Could that be the cause?

Also, probably something else and I’ve seen posts about this, I went out this morning and the fridge had turned off and had been off for a while as the temp gauge I have in it was reading 28 Dec C!!

Last edited:
I’ve had a search and not found anything that seems to help with my issue.

My starter battery seems to be draining a lot sooner than I would expect while the vehicle is unused.

I last drove it on Monday afternoon after a weekend away. I have a solar panel that also trickle charges the starter battery.

During the week I’ve had the fridge on, in camping mode so the lights don’t come on when I open a door, been in and out of it around 10 times and raised the roof twice.

The last time opening the roof and closing it was just now. When I turned the key, I got a message stating the 12v battery was low and I should drive the vehicle to charge it.

Does this seem normal for 6 days without use and being trickle charged from the solar panel?

Edit:
I also have a BM20 battery monitor on the starter battery. Could that be the cause?

Also, probably something else and I’ve seen posts about this, I went out this morning and the fridge had turned off and had been off for a while as the temp gauge I have in it was reading 28 Dec C!!
Every time you unlock the vehicle and open the drivers door various computer modules are powered up including your built in entertainment system, which is basically a computer, and the high pressure fuel pump is pressurised so that the vehicle is ready to start and drive when you start the engine. It then takes about 20 minutes for all these systems to power down..
The cab lights use very little power in comparison.

Every time you unlock the vehicle and open the drivers door various computer modules are powered up including your built in entertainment system, which is basically a computer, and the high pressure fuel pump is pressurised so that the vehicle is ready to start and drive when you start the engine. It then takes about 20 minutes for all these systems to power down..
The cab lights use very little power in comparison.
Thanks for your reply WG.

It’s more often the sliding door that I’ve been opening. Not sure if that makes a difference?

What doesn’t make sense is, if we were camping we’d potentially be opening and closing doors (probably not the drivers door) a lot more often. So how would it last for a week or more on holiday if you didn’t use the van?

Something else I just thought of, I walked from my house the other day and I heard the whirring/electrical noise in the engine bay as I walked past?

Thanks for your reply WG.

It’s more often the sliding door that I’ve been opening. Not sure if that makes a difference?

What doesn’t make sense is, if we were camping we’d potentially be opening and closing doors (probably not the drivers door) a lot more often. So how would it last for a week or more on holiday if you didn’t use the van?

Something else I just thought of, I walked from my house the other day and I heard the whirring/electrical noise in the engine bay as I walked past?
Only happens with the Drivers door.

Do you have things plugged into sockets? Dashcam or similar. My neighbours transporter battery was getting low. He had lots of things plugged in to the dash sockets.

Do you have things plugged into sockets? Dashcam or similar. My neighbours transporter battery was getting low. He had lots of things plugged in to the dash sockets.
No I don’t, nothing plugged in and I believe the only front sockets that run off the starter battery on the 6.1 are the 2 USB C’s at the side of the drink holder.

Something I realised a minute ago was that I had the Carista left in. Not sure if that could drain? It had a red light on it…

No I don’t, nothing plugged in and I believe the only front sockets that run off the starter battery on the 6.1 are the 2 USB C’s at the side of the drink holder.

Something I realised a minute ago was that I had the Carista left in. Not sure if that could drain? It had a red light on it…
It could well be the carista. It was probably searching for a Bluetooth connection.