Starter/leisure battery charging

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Peeps,

I've just discovered that my new van (2003 Cali Freestyle) doesn't have the dual output charger. In other words it only charges the leisure batteries on hook-up. It's all original factory standard.

My other Cali, a '93 version of the same van does charge both batteries.

I know the T5 didn't but later ones did (or the other way around?).

I'm curious as what caused the change? It's not a show stopper but it's nice to have both batteries charging.

Discuss.

Peeps,

I've just discovered that my new van (2003 Cali Freestyle) doesn't have the dual output charger. In other words it only charges the leisure batteries on hook-up. It's all original factory standard.

My other Cali, a '93 version of the same van does charge both batteries.

I know the T5 didn't but later ones did (or the other way around?).

I'm curious as what caused the change? It's not a show stopper but it's nice to have both batteries charging.

Discuss.
I think it changed in 2006 to dual charging.

I suspect your early van had been adapted to charge both (??). Mine doesn't and I wasn't sure any T4s did, although it is a handy feature.

No. I replaced the charger unit with an original from Günzl when I discovered it had a crappy charger lashed into the cupboard. The wiring was there for the dual output.

It's quite simple, the output for the starter battery just goes to the isolated side of the split charge relay.

I may well mod the new van.

It would be good to understand why both Westy and VW changed philosophy.

Back