Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Will solar panels charge the engine battery once the leisure batteries are full?

IMO a good option for adding to an existing installation is the Sterling Battery to Battery Maintainer. It's fairly cheap and doesn't require wires to be run between the batteries, (it' can be wired across the split charge relay under the passenger seat. Not designed to re-charge a flat battery.

This sounds ideal! Thanks for this.

If you do remove the seat to get at the electrics you will have to disconnect the heated seat cable. Make absolutely certain that the ignition is off when doing this and reconnecting otherwise the canbus can throw a wobbler and needs resetting by VW.

If you do remove the seat to get at the electrics you will have to disconnect the heated seat cable. Make absolutely certain that the ignition is off when doing this and reconnecting otherwise the canbus can throw a wobbler and needs resetting by VW.
Airbag warning light can easily be reset DIY using Carista. Cost of Carista purchase cheaper than one trip to the dealer, and no need to wait for a booking slot!

Last edited:
Not quite correct. There are 2 connections to the seat. The heated seat circuit, if you have them, and the seat Airbag. It is switching the ignition On with the airbag disconnected that causes an Airbag warning on the dashboard which has to be reset after reconnection the AirBag.

My understanding is that on EHU once the leisure batteries are full the system will then trickle charge the engine battery. Does anyone know (for sure) if the same would apply to solar charging?

Edit: I am aware of the dual chargers that can be used but I assume a truck load of extra grief and cost, also if the answer to the above question is yes then why would I want a dual charger?
Here is my two penny's worth. On the T6 when on EHU the engine and leisure batteries ( both exactly the same AGM battery) all receive trickle charge simultaneously. If plugged in for 24hours this will take all to 100% state of charge. Not sure if solar panels contact to same input as the EHU. I suspect it would and so would work as if on EHU with regards to charging.

I solved the starter battery problem with this .....

01_Plan.JPG
Throw the switch (4) when parking up for a long time and the solar keeps all the batteries full.

Got one of these today, works well (main battery is only 3 years old, but van sits on the drive a lot as EV now gets used as daily driver, so battery was flat a few days ago). Just need to shorten the cable; works well on the dash plugs as one is 12v is main battery, the other 12v leisure:

My understanding is that on EHU once the leisure batteries are full the system will then trickle charge the engine battery. Does anyone know (for sure) if the same would apply to solar charging?

Edit: I am aware of the dual chargers that can be used but I assume a truck load of extra grief and cost, also if the answer to the above question is yes then why would I want a dual charger?
It does yes. Depends on the system though.

I fitted one from Roger and it was simple.

Not sure why people say you need to remove heated seat cables from base of seat. You don't. Just unbolt and tilt it forward.

The longest part of the install is trying to get the solar panel cable through the boot grommet to the cupboard. The long single cable to under the passenger seat that charges the starter was relatively simple.

I must admit I've never used EHU or even have a cable. Always had enough power from one solar panel. Even wild camping in Norway for a couple of weeks.

The other benefit is if you leave the van all the batteries are maintained. You never have to plug in to condition them in as recommended by VW.

Last edited:
Fitted two panels on my beach today. Got the epever mppt dual charger to charge both batteries. Not much sun around this evo but but both batteries charging nicely. Thanks to @Roger Donoghue for a great kit and easy to follow instructions. An absolute breeze to fit. Happy days:)

It does yes. Depends on the system though.

I fitted one from Roger and it was simple.

Not sure why people say you need to remove heated seat cables from base of seat. You don't. Just unbolt and tilt it forward.

The longest part of the install is trying to get the solar panel cable through the boot grommet to the cupboard. The long single cable to under the passenger seat that charges the starter was relatively simple.

I must admit I've never used EHU or even have a cable. Always had enough power from one solar panel. Even wild camping in Norway for a couple of weeks.

The other benefit is if you leave the van all the batteries are maintained. You never have to plug in to condition them in as recommended by VW.
I drilled a small hole in my grommet (into a bit of wood stuck up behind it), lubed it up with some acf50, and the cable slipped through like a hot knife through butter.

Back