Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

starting issue

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
A couple of times recently I have turned key on to start engine and nothing happens. No click, no sound.
Batteries are charged OK. After a few goes it engages and starts ....
I am just worrying that it may die on us when we least expect it!
Anyone had this?
Have done a search but cant find anything really...if there is please redirect me and if this post is in wrong place just move it to where it should be
2012 150 PS Manual

Does the dash light up? Sounds like the starter motor but could be numerous things

Use spare key . See if that works ?

Yes dash display etc all comes on and stuff like mirrors unfold ...

C
Yes dash display etc all comes on and stuff like mirrors unfold ...
So not the key or ignition circuit.

Could the the starter solenoid is becoming intermittent or the starter motor its self. The solenoid will be a cheaper repair if it is at fault.

Looks like a trip to the dealer, although as it is intermittent, fate will come and play and the fault will not occur while the van is in there.

Alan

It's booked in for airbag light on and warning on display when ignition engaged next week pretty sure unrelated as does not do it all the time...
I'll ask them to have a look but it will be fine when it's in there am sure:headbang

You don’t want this to let go on route to SBN

Intermitant faults are a pain, fingers crossed they find the problem

How many people know what SBN is!!!! Threw me for a minute there...not expecting to see that on a Cali forum:thumb

How many people know what SBN is!!!! Threw me for a minute there...not expecting to see that on a Cali forum:thumb

Its a great show, a must do on my list and a nice excuse to get the split out, will see you there

It's booked in for airbag light on and warning on display when ignition engaged next week pretty sure unrelated as does not do it all the time...
I'll ask them to have a look but it will be fine when it's in there am sure:headbang
David, if you are local I can turn your airbag light off as I have VCDS software and lead, got it beciuse mine kept doing it and I don't like paying the dealer to just turn a light off. Its likely when you turned one of the seats, after much faffing and seeing that the warnings were triggered by various airbags (side etc) on different seats, I disconnected the airbag connections (engine off and key out), little bit of switch cleaner and then reset. Now been fault free for months

nice thought and offer but I am Midlands:(
have told dealer I want a diagnostic and check of obvious / usual airbag light culprits not just to turn off the light - we shall see what happens....

Whip the cowling off to get at the connector on the end of the ignition lock then apply a voltmeter to see if you’re actually sending power to the starter circuit.

At least this will remove the key end of things from the equation.

I’ve had this a few times and my Touareg used to do exactly the same. I’m not overly concerned about it as it’s not a regular occurrence - it almost seems as though the chip in the key hasn’t registered with the ignition sometimes , it gets there in the end and it’s pretty rare. Famous last words you heard hear first!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may be able to help here! We had an intermittent starting issue that defeated everyone. Turned the key - nothing. The van would then sit with the garage for days and then just start like there had never been a fault. The only solution we found (recommended by the local VW dealer) after about the 3rd time it had stranded us was to remove one of the fuses as it may have been randomly building up resistance. I now drive around with a pair of needle nose pliers in the glove box. I seem to remember that it was one of the fuses in the top row!!!
I stand by for the more technical to tell me that this is nonsense but I am hopeful it at least offers me something to do the next time I am waiting for the recovery van!

0F4AAACB-D5E6-471A-9204-896457FD7D0A.jpeg

We put up with those symptoms for 9 years before finally bottling out and getting a new starter motor. The garage said it was the solenoid sticking, but by the time you've stripped everything out of the way you might as well change the lot.

normally when it's starter or solenoid you get a click...I just got nothing at all ....
it has been fine since ... though I have done as someone said - before each start putting in and out of gear and depressing clutch but not sure if that has actually done anything except reassure me when the key turns and it starts!
who else on here remembers carrying a hammer to belt starter to free it up (or rocking the vehicle back and forth) when it stuck on old beetles and buses? Those were the days when you could fix or bodge stuff!

normally when it's starter or solenoid you get a click...I just got nothing at all ....
You are correct, there are a couple of relays that have to operate including the starter solenoid itself, so if you are not hearing any of them the problem is upstream, if you are so inclined, you can follow the sequence in the wiring diagrams; power to the ignition switch, then Clutch down (if Manual) or In Park and foot on the brake if DSG, chip on key read then it will engage the relay that pulls the starter solenoid and it then turns over, whether it then runs is down to the immobiliser etc.

who else on here remembers carrying a hammer to belt starter to free it up (or rocking the vehicle back and forth) when it stuck on old beetles and buses? Those were the days when you could fix or bodge stuff!
Flat spot on the starter motor.
Stick it in 3rd and roll it a bit.

Common fault elsewhere in the VAG group is a sticky clutch switch.

If it’s a manual then as Loz says, clutch down, turn key.

If the switch is dodgy you’re going nowhere. It’s location is top of clutch pedal. Worth finding and bypassing to rile it out.

Back