Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starting Issue

keredewor

keredewor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
When I try to start the Cali....nothing, turn key back in ignition and try to start again, nothing, no starter motor engaging.........repeat to start again and it fires up??

Battery fully charged, could it be loose wiring, faulty ignition switch?....4 year old, 6000 miles, hardly used....any ideas before I take it to the stealers

thanks

Hi keredewor,
The starter motor will not engage until the glow plugs have heated the combustion chambers indicated by the glow plug light going out on the instrument panel....no fault just wait for (orange) light to go out :thumb

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will try that diagnosis, it's just that I also stalled it the other day, the engine was warm and the same thing happened, hopefully it is what you say.

Once again thanks for your help

I had the same thing on mine from about 18 months old and 2k on the clock.
Dealer i bought cali from was useless and couldn't diagnose it, second dealer i tried found it straight away, it was a faulty starter motor, replaced under warranty, no problems since.

Take it to your dealer and suggest they look at it.

Have done two California's this year for starting issues that have both been the starter motor at fault on the pre-facelift T5.

Starter motor will turn even if glow plug light has not gone out.

cheers

I have the same problem. When my Cali is cold, ignition on & all lights out, turn key and nothing. It does not happen every time and so far only when cold. Just waiting for the dealer to contact me ! Watch this space.

The only other starting issues we have had has been with faulty inhibitor switches on tiptronics. It could be the selector on yours meaning that the van may think that it is in D or R and not allowing it to start. Will it start if you wiggle the gearstick?

cheers

Hi Alex. I have been wiggling the stick and it starts every time. So far it has only happened when cold. There have been occasions when I have turned the key and released it when nothing happened and after maybe 1 second, it turns over and starts ! As it is an intermittent fault, I know it wont happen if I take it to my dealer. The last time it happened was yesterday after it had not been used for a few days.

The best thing to do in that case is to take it to the dealer and leave it for a few days and ask them to try it from cold and when it has been left standing.

what happens when you turn the key and it won't start?

cheers

Nothing whatsoever,no clicking to suggest the starter was trying to engage. I just kept trying and after a few turns it turned over and started,

All lights seem fine. I have just heard from my local dealer, Gilders of Sheffield, who have ordered a new starter motor and will carry out a full check. Thank you for your advice so far. :thanks

I'm not sure if I've got a problem with the starter motor or not.

When the van has laid idle for a day or more (cold I guess is the term), I turn the ignition and let go, and then nothing but after about 1-2 seconds the engine starts seemingly by magic on its own.

It's happened that way for as long as I can remember, but thinking about it I don't think it was like that when brand new.

Do I have a problem, or is this normal?

Thanks

Seems normal, the GP's won't start when you turn the key immediately if everything is not ready to go.

cheers

I think it waits for the glow plugs to heat up before starting. In the good old days, diesels lit up a little light on the dash. You had to wait a few seconds for that to go out before starting.

On the VW cars the glow plug switches on as soon as you open/unlock the drivers door. I presume it's the same on the Cali. It saves the time waiting for the glow plug to warm up.

cpjb@btinternet.com said:
I'm not sure if I've got a problem with the starter motor or not.

When the van has laid idle for a day or more (cold I guess is the term), I turn the ignition and let go, and then nothing but after about 1-2 seconds the engine starts seemingly by magic on its own.

It's happened that way for as long as I can remember, but thinking about it I don't think it was like that when brand new.

Do I have a problem, or is this normal?

Thanks

Mine behaves like that regularly, I always presumed it was normal.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the quick responses all. It would seem to be normal behaviour then.

Never had a diesel before the Cali, so new experience really.

Back