Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steel Wheels

Just put my winter tyres on - ready for winter plus a trip to Europe in the New Year :D

Just picked up a set of steels from Benn and could not be happier. He seems a really nice bloke as well. :clap

Before i start tralling the net does anyone know what tyre pressure you run the m&s tyres at. It does not have the 215/60R17 pressures on the sticker in the door . I have set them the same as the 235 pressure but expect a differance.

I also got a set of Ben at the weekend. I took them to the garage and the garage said the existing wheel bolts are too long for the steel wheels. The exisiting Thunders are a lot thicker where the bolts go through.
Does anyone know the part number for shorter bolts?

I have the Thunder Alloys and a steel spare. There is no additional set of bolts for when I have a flat and have to use the spare. I would check with VW on this point before buying another set of wheel bolts. As long as they tighten up to the right torque onto the wheel face, I can't see a problem.

My Beach is in having a new roof fitted today. I will ask the service manager when I pick it up.

Andy

I see your point. Best check with VW.

My VW dealer has confirmed that the wheel bolts are the same for alloy or steel wheels.
I'll get them fitted later.

rob

robo said:
My VW dealer has confirmed that the wheel bolts are the same for alloy or steel wheels.
I'll get them fitted later.

rob

Thanks Rob,

Makes sense. The danger of having the option of a shorter wheel bolt would be that someone used the wrong bolt that only gripped on a few threads and we've seen in Formula 1 what happens when they use the wrong bolts and it goes wrong :doh

Andy

Another happy customer... Thanks Benn!! Bring on the winter!!

u9a4u5u2.jpg

Took me about an hour to switch all four!!

I think they look rather fetching myself!!

Mine are on. Thank you Ben.
rob

Hi guys sorry not been on for a while, im loving the photo! i think the steels look great, really smart.
Robo please post a picture too, id love to see them on you Red california !!!
ps-glad you sorted your bolts out in the end sorry i couldnt help more.

I too had great service from Ben, and had them fitted this week.

They are really good value, and I'm sure they will be brilliant across the winter.

BUT here's the potentially controversial bit - are we kidding ourselves when we say they look really cool? I enthusiastically showed them to my kids, and they said "they're really ugly Dad" which got me thinking.

What's the consensus?

Out of the mouths of children
I think they look OK :D

cpjb@btinternet.com said:
I too had great service from Ben, and had them fitted this week.

They are really good value, and I'm sure they will be brilliant across the winter.

BUT here's the potentially controversial bit - are we kidding ourselves when we say they look really cool? I enthusiastically showed them to my kids, and they said "they're really ugly Dad" which got me thinking.

What's the consensus?

My son took one look and asked me what happened to the thunders. He was not impressed. I however think they are ok . May paint them body colour for next winter

I think they look good.

Not too worried what they look like at the price I paid for them :D Cheaper than the tyres alone and the alloys will be looking good when I put them back on in the spring.

Nothing looks great in winter where practicality is more important than looks imho. Just look in my wardrobe :smile

Seriously though, the alternative is buying a set of alloys and winter tyres at around £1000 or buying winter tyres and putting them on the Thunders at £600. I can put up with the steels for the next four months when the salt is on the roads and the potholes start appearing knowing my alloys with their summer Dunlop Sports (no winter grip!) are safe at home. btw I can't understand why VW chose some of the tyres I have seen on Californias.

Andy

I like 'em.
Must wash the van.

rob

new boots.jpg

I bought brand spanking new wheels from Benn too. He is amazingly super helpful; defo recommend!

When I bought my winter tyres I also bought a set of steel rims for winter use, when I fitted them to the van however I thought they looked pants spoiling my pride and joy, my winter tyres are now on a spare set of thunders which look so much better.

Personally I like the look of the vw steel 17" steel wheel, I think it's very unrated and clean looking. But it's not going to be to everybody's taste, also the best thing about running steelies though winter is are that they protect your alloys from marks from using snow chains when traveling aboard. But I do agree there not as beautiful as alloys ! :goodone