Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 steels to alloys - straight swap?

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I’m getting a set of 16 inch Clayton alloys with 215/65/16 tyres for my 2009 T5. Currently fitted are VW 16 inch steel wheels with 215/65/16 tyres.
Are they just a straight swap or do I need different wheel nuts for the alloys? Also, I currently have no locking wheel nuts, which would be the correct set for the Claytons?

I’m getting a set of 16 inch Clayton alloys with 215/65/16 tyres for my 2009 T5. Currently fitted are VW 16 inch steel wheels with 215/65/16 tyres.
Are they just a straight swap or do I need different wheel nuts for the alloys? Also, I currently have no locking wheel nuts, which would be the correct set for the Claytons?
Provided the Alloy and Steel wheels are genuine VW wheels then the bolts will fit both types of wheels. Only 3rd party wheels might need different bolts.
VW supply a steel wheel as the spare when you order 16” or 17” alloys. They don’t provide a separate set of bolts.

Examples of Locking Bolts.

Provided the Alloy and Steel wheels are genuine VW wheels then the bolts will fit both types of wheels. Only 3rd party wheels might need different bolts.
VW supply a steel wheel as the spare when you order 16” or 17” alloys. They don’t provide a separate set of bolts.

Examples of Locking Bolts.

Thanks. Yes, both the steels and the alloys are the genuine VW article. I’ll be keeping the same steel spare on, which is identical to the 4 steels currently fitted and has the same tyre size as the Claytons. 2009 T5 Beach so PCD is 5x120, the same as the 2018 Beach they are coming from.

For clarity, here are some pics of the current steels. The bolt has a collar on it.

6E0A8E0D-659A-4617-93D8-3FF1BD528689.jpeg02D6A3AF-CEA2-42A9-A0D1-F4FD6E4723A2.jpeg86CBE13A-483A-423E-AE96-EEAFC231855A.jpeg649DB207-76EB-40AC-BCCD-A0B5EBE6AA27.jpeg

I have steel and alloys and use the same wheel nuts, i ordered
the steels from Vw and they fitted them for the first winter.

Yes you need different bolts. Alloy bolts have a collar and larger surface area to grip. Steel bolts may go through the alloy when tightening. Locking nuts are an option to stop theft. Not essential but may help prevent someone nicking your new alloys.

Thanks. Just posted some pics, the bolts have a collar so should be compatible?

Steel wheel nuts are generally shorter and have a dome collar. Alloy bolts tend to be longer as they have more material to go through and have a cone, typically at 60 degrees to give a larger surface area for grip.

They might be "generally" but all genuine VW steel & alloy wheels for T5 & T6 use exactly the same bolts. So if VW have got it wrong they've been wrong for years.

Steel wheel nuts are generally shorter and have a dome collar. Alloy bolts tend to be longer as they have more material to go through and have a cone, typically at 60 degrees to give a larger surface area for grip. I personally keep different bolts for each application, but it seems like personal choice. I would check length is not an issue changing from alloy to steels, and that the bolts do not stick out.

This is what’s going on. The bolt holes look pretty recessed whereas they look quite protruded on the steels.

95879ACF-DD2A-4002-9640-929987EBE4D6.png

This is what’s going on. The bolt holes look pretty recessed whereas they look quite protruded on the steels.

View attachment 65834
If you measure from the rear face to the front of the recessed hole you will find it is virtually the same on both steel and alloy. Because of the recess a Locking Bolt works on an alloy wheel but can be overcome on a steel wheel.