Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering column issues

Paul1

Paul1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Have 2013 Cali DSG from new done 4,500 mls. Just beginning to notice on right hand lock a very susceptible slight clonk or tiny bit of free play. Doesn't happen while stationery but mostly on mini roundabouts, etc. Before I go back to dealer has anybody experienced this ??? One of those things someone else would not notice or it wont do it at the dealers. Paul.

We've had something very similar - on our Berg. Took it to a dealer they couldn't recreate. Haven't heard it for a while, so have adopted a wait and see approach... Or is that wait and hear approach!

If you do a search, you will find various threads about steering klonks - quite a few people have had steering columns replaced.

I have a 2011 Cali with 14k on the clock - its had a temperamental 'clunk' felt through the steering wheel for about 6 months now and is only got regular enough now for me to be able to prove to the dealer that its really there (and not a figment of my imagination!). The less I use the van the more likely it is to appear (usually over the camber on roundabouts too). My local dealer lubricated the CV joint on the steering column and thats cured it for now pending further monitoring and they are waiting to hear back from VW in Germany to see if it warrants replacing the whole steering column....

My clonk was a driveshaft. Replaced 7 days before the warranty expired!

I noticed a distinct clonk whilst away in Cornwall recently. At low speeds turning right or left it sort of hesitates and dull clicks. There's a lot of posts about steering columns.

Ting is, I'm driving it now and it seems to have gone away. It was happening continuously on holiday.... :headbang

Could be as mentioned earlier a self lubricating joint somewhere which benefits from a lot of use. Mine sits in garage for weeks at a time and can get the sleeping syndrome associated with a lot of motorhomes sitting idle for long periods. I will wait till we come back from the Champagne meet to see if it cures it. Paul. :hello

Just want to add to this as i had a clonk i could feel and hear on the front right

Spent ages trying to find it, had dealer look could nt find it. Then went to local friends garage and as we stood there talking about it, I felt under the front wheel arch, and the plastic liner could be moved a little. double sided tape between the edge of the liner and the metal arch and it was gone!!!!! couldnt believe it was that simple. mine is a 2008, been lowered range rover sport wheels etc etc, so thought i was going to have a major problem, yet it was so simple!!

I have a 2012 DSG with 5000 miles and have just experienced a clunk and slight play on the steering column. It happens at low speed on round-a-bouts. Will keep an eye on it.

HI All,
I also having same knocking sound problem when turning left right from last week. My vw dealer told me its coming from steering columns and he advise me to change columns.

Can any one know the right fix for this kind of sound? or any one other solution?

Thanks
JK

jeetu2k said:
HI All,
I also having same knocking sound problem when turning left right from last week. My vw dealer told me its coming from steering columns and he advise me to change columns.

Can any one know the right fix for this kind of sound? or any one other solution?

Thanks
JK

Yup... had the same issue... Steering column replacement sorted it on my van.

Can be difficult however as similar clunk can be caused by drive shaft issues or top suspension mount. (Or indeed a lose wheels arch liner!)

Rgds
Mark

I bought a new 180 DSG BMT back in June this year and used it nearly every weekend up and down the country with the family and loved every minute. However, after a 3 week adventure around Devon & Cornwall I noticed there was a slight knock on the steering when turning right at lower speeds.

So I put it into the local dealership (who've been great) and their initial fix was to grease things up. This resolved the problem in the short term, but I left the van to stand for around a week and when I came back to it the knocking had started again, so back to the garage. Tis time they replaced the whole steering column and in the short term things were ok (~1 week). However, the knocking has just come back again. Sigh.

After speaking with the garage they informed me that this is a fault they are experiencing across a few vans and that replacing the steering column has not resolved the knocking problem. They are in talks with VW's technical team who are looking into the problem and they told me they would contact me once a solution was in place. I'll let you guys know when I hear something.

The other little niggle I had has that the fridge didn't shut properly (you had to force it down to close it), the dealership fixed this one with a new lid. Now the fridge closes and locks no problem

Jamie

Hi

MY dealer replaced the steering columns and its look fine now....

Thanks
JK

Mine is into Breeze tomorrow to have the bits greased, a half day job I'm told. Let's hope it's resolved........but not too hopeful reading this thread.

Sound back again after 1 month even after replacing steering columns.

:cry:

JK

Contacted customer care today about steering clonk and they said they are aware of this growing fault and apparently its only on right hand drive vehicles ?? As soon as the fault is located the dealership will be informed how to do a lasting repair. They advised to contact local dealer leaving details so arrangements can be made when an answer is found. I would have thought if its R/H drive only that would be a big clue to where the fault is. :?

Hello All,
We have had our cali since july 2013, brand shiny new, the "clonk" started in october after about 5000 miles. Our dealer (Breeze) really great, they showed us another steering column with the same issue and the video sent by vw to them to show the issue, our column was then filled full of a heavy grease and they said it will stop it for now but the knock will come back! and guess what? it started again last week.....
VW head office have been aware of this issue since 2000!!! and they have made no attempt to resolve it on a permanent basis, great eh?
We have today sent a complaint to vw, await their response........ :headbang
:?: IDEA - how about you all complain and maybe a mass customer onslaught will sort the issue??

Mazvw42 said:
Mine is into Breeze tomorrow to have the bits greased, a half day job I'm told. Let's hope it's resolved........but not too hopeful reading this thread.

Mine has started again - another visit to Breeze to be arranged. VW need to sort this and the flipping blind which has never been resolved. How much was this vehicle?

You guys not do the adjustable steering column wiggle about trick ?

I tried that yesterday on my transporter. It hasn't disappeared completely but certainly seems much improved!
Only temporarily I suppose but a weekly wiggle isn't too much hassle [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mine is due for service and so I guess I'll mention it again. Like others I've already had a new column fitted but they knew then it wouldn't resolve it.

Freeley said:
I tried that yesterday on my transporter. It hasn't disappeared completely but certainly seems much improved!
Only temporarily I suppose but a weekly wiggle isn't too much hassle [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

you can't beat a weekly wiggle Freeley :smile
There is no vw fix for it ,as it's not classed as broken or unsafe ....
i don't use mine much ,so a quick wiggle and when warmed up she's back fighting fit :thumb

Ours is into Breeze (our newly local California dealer) in a few weeks to get the column adjusted - they have a half hour procedure which whilst doesn't claim to fully cure it, does help.

They're also taking photos of the roof corrosion so we can get the ball rolling once the training for the repair is complete, though it sounds like we're about 7th in the queue there. Ours has gone on both sides now.

Oh, and the leaking side windows (likely to be replaced), and a wobbly rear bench seat (again, likely building up our seat onto a new frame, as previously when we only needed a new circlip four it was told that only the entire assembly is available from VW (our then very local non-cali van centre scoured Basingstoke for a suitable circlip to avoid this…))

Add that to previous faults (Gas hob ignitor that took 3 dealer visits to resolve, broken internal drivers door handle release, rear bench roller detaching, replacement awning) and its a bit disappointing really.

Still love the California though :cool

choplee said:
Freeley said:

i don't use mine much ,so a quick wiggle and when warmed up she's back fighting fit :thumb

VW CS are telling me there is an official fix on the way! Already been waiting 3mths! Are they telling porkies again!?? How does warming up affect the function of a column then?

Carrg said:
choplee said:
Freeley said:

VW CS are telling me there is an official fix on the way! Already been waiting 3mths! Are they telling porkies again!?? How does warming up affect the function of a column then?

you never know Carrg with vwcs ,but it seems to be just the RHD transporters that get it and they may now think that there is an issue :?

Back